Stebel Horn Install 2002 ST1100 Non ABS

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Haven't seen many threads on ST1100 non ABS install.

Installed just inside left upper fairing. Very tight fit. Had bike stripped of plastic anyway for Spring maintenance. Removed cowling and panel just behind windshield for better access. If you have large hands or forearms you're going to be out of luck here. Made bracket from galvanized plastic coated strapping left over from a plumbing project. Slipped into place, folded bracket over, bolted and then tightened.

Horn $37, wiring kit $20. Good value and install location near OEM horn meant just plugging in horn leads to wiring kit with relay. Well protected from weather and excessive heat, sound not baffled by plastic. Considered left tip over bar install, but too tight for me and it would have required modification to standard wiring kit, not worth the effort and the upper location is better from my perspective. Horn might look like it's touching fairing or horizontal headlight adjuster, but it's not.

Sounds like a freight train!!

Attachments

STark1050

Garry Franklin
Bike
03 st1300
You are going to enjoy the Stebel. I put one on my 03 this winter and have had a hoot with it.
garry

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I installed my Stebel a couple of weeks ago after having it kick around in my garage for over a year. I honked it about a dozen times and it flat quit. The air pump failed. I have heard that there have been a lot of problems with the Stebels. Anyone else had problems??

Dan

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
My instructions for splitting the Stebel for my ABS ST1100s also worked for my non-ABS ST1100. ;-) You will enjoy the 'latte' launcher the first time a cager starts to pull over on top of you and you hit the button and watch them launch their latte right up to the roof of their SUV ... :D

OP
OP
ReSTored

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Your install looks good as well.

Mine was on other side and rotated 90 degrees. Tried your location, but it seemed really tight and thought it might affect access to headlight bulbs at some point down the road. The advantage of the left side (on bike) is that it's really tucked away.

The split install ( A la Uncle P) would work too and open up a number of other install locations. Buy this one works for me and it was the easiest and most straight forward.

Haven't had to use it yet......... but I'm almost looking forward to it.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
RESTORED - Yes, the look of 'surprise' on the cager's face when they are awaken out of their inwardly turned focus is well worth the time and effort of the install! :D It does bother me ever so slightly though when it interrupts their cell phone conversation ... :p:

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Smash, just follow U.P.'s instructions and save the $20 for the harness

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Nice. That's a good location. I installed my Stebel in the same area: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=395842&postcount=10
different mounting point/bracket. Here's another picture previously posted:

edit: here's a new one:

PICT3278M.JPG

Rob, you should post your nice FIAAM install in a new thread with appropriate subject line, so it's not lost here in another Stebel thread.

Regards, John

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I made an interesting discovery with my split Stebels. I've had them for about 2 years on all three ST1100s and one of them died. I originally assumed that it was the compressor, but it ended up being the trumpet - compressor was still just humming away. I am thinking that you could probably use another air trumpet from some other setup as long as you could make the fitting work. So I'm wondering if the Stebel failures are trumpet failures and not compressor failures as I originally assumed. BTW, the Wolo Bad Boy is a similiar setup but not interchangeable. It has a little different connection from the compressor to the trumpet. I picked one up for grins just to see and I could probably make it work but I would have to have different fittings.

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
Very interesting Observation uncle Phil - I just got myself the 'newer' Stebel COmpact, which does away with/integrates the compressor into a single unit. I'll try and follow Sir John's SSMST instructions, and follow it for my own SSMST :D (less original/more scarred)

Pictures are totally helpful! Thank you for this thread.

Regards,
Vishnu

I made an interesting discovery with my split Stebels. I've had them for about 2 years on all three ST1100s and one of them died. I originally assumed that it was the compressor, but it ended up being the trumpet - compressor was still just humming away. I am thinking that you could probably use another air trumpet from some other setup as long as you could make the fitting work. So I'm wondering if the Stebel failures are trumpet failures and not compressor failures as I originally assumed. BTW, the Wolo Bad Boy is a similiar setup but not interchangeable. It has a little different connection from the compressor to the trumpet. I picked one up for grins just to see and I could probably make it work but I would have to have different fittings.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Vishnu - I've since swapped two of my ST1100s over to Fiamms when the Stebels died. My Stebels were originally one piece - I separated them because of space considerations on the ABS ST1100s. I still have one Stebel working, but I also have a set Fiamms in 'reserve' for when it dies ... :D BTW, I did fit a Wolo BadBoy Trumpet to a Stebel compressor and it worked for a while. ;-)

Top Bottom