Well crap..... Shingles

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
I was lucky and had a mild case. The only thing that brought me relief was wearing an underamour shirt. One of the skin tight ones. Helped reduce the annoyance of something rubbing against it. Otherwise hope it's a mild case and it goes away soon. And sorry to hear that you go tthat crap.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I was scheduled for my Shingles shot tomorrow until I got Covid. I will get it as soon as I can. My neighbor next door got Shingles recently, she had a bad case and was laid up for quite a while. That prompted me to get the vaccine.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Shingles is nothing to fool with. If you had chicken pox as a kid, a stressful time later in life can allow the virus, which dwells near the base of the spine when dormant, to reactivate and emerge in various places on the body. Worst case scenario is it erupts in the head, neck or face area and it can and has blinded people. It can also leave a victim with long term nerve damage leading to long term pain in the affected area.

I had a recurrence when my mother was in the hospital dying of cancer when I was 39 years old. Luckily, the rash was quite small, on the back of my neck, but painful while it took a few weeks to clear. This was before any meds were available to treat it.

The latest vaccine is much more effective than the first version and is especially recommended for seniors, whose immune systems tend to diminish in old age.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
When I first read this thread and saw the claims on only 50% efficacy for the vaccine I thought, wait, that’s not right. Then I noticed the posts were 12 years old! The Shingrix vaccine has been introduced since then, replacing the old one, and has efficacy in the 91-97% range depending on age.

My dad came down with shingles in his 80’s and it damn near took him out, but tough as he is he recovered. He was left with a permanent maddening itch on his back that defied any treatment and tormented him the rest of his life.

I immediately went out and got the existing vaccine at the time and then later, when Shingrix vaccine became available, got that one too. No way did I want to go through what I saw my dad deal with.

Last edited:

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I got my second shingles vaccine in Jan. of this year. I had a very mild case of shingles when I was in my late 20's. Don't want it again.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
If Shingrix is on your "I'm getting old" bingo card, don't wait any longer. I felt hung over the next day both times, but I also threw in the flu shot and then tetanus because let's get it over with. From the sound of it though, nothing compared to actual shingles, even a fairly mild case.

ChriSTian_64

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Yep, me too, after my wife got shingles, I asked for the vaccine : two doses of Shingrix, here too (Canada). That was about three years ago.
It was not cheap. $ 330 CAD.
Money well spent. Had no side effects.

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I felt hung over the next day both times, but I also threw in the flu shot and then tetanus because let's get it over with. From the sound of it though, nothing compared to actual shingles, even a fairly mild case.
I guess I must have had a mild case, even though I had a pretty good sized rash because it never affected me at all. It started to itch a little, then I went to urgent care and got the medication, and basically had no symptoms at all after that. Others claim its pure hell, so I guess I was lucky.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Probably not true.

Correlations can be found (just like any 2 seemingly unrelated events), but that doesn't mean that one causes the other.
When I'm told by a physician this is happening and that I should get Shingrix as a precaution, I'll take his advise.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
When I'm told by a physician this is happening and that I should get Shingrix as a precaution, I'll take his advise.

I think getting the Shingrix vaccine is a good idea whether or not the Covid vaccine awakens Shingles. I certainly didn't mean to discourage any vaccine.

As for me, I'm vaccinated and boosted for Covid, 2 shots of Shingrix and 2 shots of the Pneumonia vaccine. I guess that sounds like I'm a vaccine believer... I am.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I had one Shingrix shot and for some reason didn't get back to get the second so getting both is on my To Do list as well.

Top Bottom