known st1300 problems

STOC #
What he said. On the whole, the ST (either of 'em) is a solid bike. and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Move it all you like; just make sure you go in once every year or two and get the exposed bits cleaned and lubed. Again, it's not a common problem.

Any recommended Lube/grease? for this?

Bike
'06 ST1300A
And I thought the bmw boxer problem with rear drive was a bummer. that is quite a list. So to clarify, I am assuming you are saying
1. the windshield gear stripping is result of just moving it up and down. Ok I won't move it.
That'd do the trick. It does take some time before it manifests. The less you move the windshield, the longer it would take.

2. coolant leak. Easy one time fix? cheap?
Yes, very easy. Tighten hose clamps.

3. rear wheel bearing failure. under warranty, early mileage?
Dunno. I put 56k on my first STeed, no rear wheel bearing failure, nor with STeed2.

4. pull to right. ?
Haven't experienced it with either my first STeed ('04, pictured in my avatar), or my current STeed, an '06.

5. wobble. i read all about the easy fix on the forum to reinstall front wheel correctly.
Haven't experienced.

6. heat. i don't like being hot, but hey, if it's hot outside...
ATGATT makes a big difference, beyond that, 'tis personal preference and individual bike idiosyncracies.

The concours i think i have just about eliminated from the selection process because of "fit and finish". It seems to me older models really look bad, the ones I've seen. Can't put my finger on it. Paint, cheap plastic ?

maurice
The older Concours, i.e. the 1000, looks dated, and too often came in some variation of that dreadful poopy brown that the Japanese manufacturers slapped on gobs of bikes in the 80s and into the 90s.

When I crashed and totalled my first ST (no fault of the bike, btw, all on me), I set out in search of another ST. Had I not been able to find one, I may have considered an FJR1300. The old Connie was a complete non-starter for me, and the new Connie (aka C14) just didna fit me right.

I do have my gripes about the ST, but even with those in mind it still tops it's competitors in my book.

And I thought the bmw boxer problem with rear drive was a bummer. that is quite a list. So to clarify, I am assuming you are saying
1. the windshield gear stripping is result of just moving it up and down. Ok I won't move it.
2. coolant leak. Easy one time fix? cheap?
3. rear wheel bearing failure. under warranty, early mileage?
4. pull to right. ?
5. wobble. i read all about the easy fix on the forum to reinstall front wheel correctly.
6. heat. i don't like being hot, but hey, if it's hot outside...

The concours i think i have just about eliminated from the selection process because of "fit and finish". It seems to me older models really look bad, the ones I've seen. Can't put my finger on it. Paint, cheap plastic ?

maurice
I have had several concourse 1000 one of which a 93 model I rode for 17 years and we'll over 100,000 miles with no major issues at all the luggage mounts could have been better designed but it is a dependable bike easy to maintain and with some mods and aftermarket gear just as comfy to ride as a any other tourer

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I am assuming you are saying
1. the windshield gear stripping is result of just moving it up and down
That's a stretch of editorializing someone's statement. That's like saying you'll cause engine damage just by driving it.

Parts wear. It happens. The problem with the ST powered windshield is replacement parts aren't available with one possible small exception. The tracks or gear wears and you need to scavenge them (not all that easy anymore) or by a new system at ~$400. Who knows how long Honda will have them. After that it's ebay n Pray.

So don't use it at all if you don't want to. Or don't using when underway at speed as it loads the windshield and could strain the mechanism unduly. I don't raise mind about 40mph or drop it above 60. Arbitrary points on my part.Don't put a spinnaker windshield on it. Clean and lube the gear and tracks maybe once a year maybe two depending on your riding conditions. A modest amount of due diligence and the mechanism may outlive your time on the bike.

Top Bottom