Purolator: PureONE PL Model Filters NOT for Motorcycles

I just got off the phone with Purolator and was trying to find a sales distributor for their PureONE filters in the Toronto area...this is what their tech support advised me about their filters:

1) Purolator PureONE PL14610 oil filter is a automotive oil filter ONLY and is NOT tested OR recommended by them for motorcycle application. They stated that the type of filter paper used is not acceptable for motorcycle engines and also that they have too high a pressure drop.

2) Purolator PureONE ML16817 is their recommended ST1300 motorcycle filter, which thay stated is 96% efficient at 30 micron (They say this is a very respectable efficiency).

I wanted to post this as it seems disconcerting to me especially with so many people in these forums posting that they use a PureONE PL model car oil filter.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
Like many others I used one once - had no problems associated with it, but have gone back to OEM. This is one area where there are simply too many options - sometimes I think it would be easier to limit the market (of course that has it draw backs)

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm concerned to a point about this also. I ran the Purolator filter for about a year. Not that big of an issue unless you did 30000+ miles in that year. Ugh.

I've been back on the OEM filter now for about 20000 miles.

Curt

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
Mobil One M1-110

How about the Mobil One. I suppose the same applies. I've used the -110 because the extra length is no problem and I guess I'm getting extra filtering area. How can any of us tell if it's doing it's job? If it works for cars, why wouldn't it work for bikes, especially STeeds?

I'm changing oil tomorrow with Shell Rotella 5w-40 from Wally Worldand would appreciate any... Oh my God, don't do that, you'll be sorry because...?
I look in the sight window and the oil is dark brown, not black. 5000+ miles, mostly on a trip.

I got the oil change hose thingamabob from Cycle Gadgets so we'll see if it works. Also will make a tin foil drip pan when I remove the filter. The wife unit didn't like oil on the garage floor! Now I'll just dump it all on my neighbor's trees that keep messing my....no, no, only kidding.

John

STOC #
Simmons1 said:
I am currently running a car filter on my ZX11 and previously ran car filters on my old FJ1200 for many many years with no problems.

The info below isn't about ST's but is about using car filters:

http://www.bergmenengineering.com/Spin-On Oil Filter and Concours Warranty.shtml

http://www.bergmenengineering.com/Spin-On Oil Filter Reference List-November 30, 2005.doc
Interesting, I especially liked "Modern spin-on oil filter manufacturers would not be in business very long if they made filters that blew up engines."

When I am provided documentation that the 6+ dollar OEM Honda filter meets or exceeds the efficiency of my 2 dollar ST7317 filter, I will use the OEM filter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Asphalt
I will run on the Honda OEM oil filter (and air filter).

I'll trust Honda designers on this subject and have no intention of potentially voiding any warranty. I am also not interested in running a cheaper oil filter to save a buck on such an expensive machine.

FL-STrider

Roughing it smoothly
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Here my thoughts on these filter issues. After working some 24 years for a Major filter manufacturer ( Pall Corporation http://www.pall.com ) I've learned a few things. For starters, Last year I donated my K&N filter off my Lexus IS300 to the guys in our quality lab to run some efficiency tests. I won't get into all the technical jargon with the various test dusts we used, however I'll just tell you the following. After testing the K&N air filter, I would never ever put one on any of my vehicles as it allows much larger particles to get thru than the factory OEM filter. Our test indicated something like 68% efficiency with 15 micron test dust. Granted the K&N filter had a lower Delta P (ie Pressure drop) but it allows much more dirt to get thru. I live in Florida and sand is a real issue down here. As we loaded the K&N with dirt we did notice it's efficiency to increase but so did the Delta P. Offsetting any potential benefits of higher flow over the OEM. So if any of you have an IS300 and want a helluva deal on a freshly cleaned & oiled K&N, make me an offer via PM and I'll happily mail it to you.

Secondly, here are my thoughts on filter selection. I trust Honda engineering, however I must say after changing the oil on my Steed upon it hitting it's first 100 miles. I was very disappointed in how much metal the Honda filter missed. I drained my oil thru some 15 micron media I had and there was a boat load of metal. So based on that visual inspection I went over to the Pure-One. Upon my Second Oil Change at 300 miles I noticed almost nothing in my 15 micron media. Granted most of the Break-in probably happened during those first 100 miles, however the Pure-One has a better quality paper than the OEM and about 16 more sq. inches of it too. This should help offset the Delta P worries of it's higher efficiency. It has a excellent quality anti-drain back diaphragm too. I would be very curious to Learn why Purolator does not recommend this filter for a Motorcycle application. So for me I use the Pure-One for my oil and the OEM Air Filter. Just my thoughts......

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I will agree with the K&N statements. Once they get a bit dirty/clogged they do filter better. I am only basing this on one experience. That of my 4x4. After a trip to Moab and found traces of the areas signature red dust behind the filter.

To add some information on the filter debate. The PL14610 is not a direct match to the ST filter. It is one inch longer. The PL14612 is the same length as the stock filter. A longer filter has a greater filter surface area and therefore will drop pressure less than a shorter filter, all else being equal.

The thing in favor of the PureOne, auto or cycle spec, is their filter media. Every one talks about "filters xx micron". Just try to get efficiency figures. PureOne filters have this listed all over the place, inf your face. Because PureOne media filters better and is therefore more restrictive they must and do have a greater filter media surface area than your typical filter.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
If the Pure One filter has a high delta P over the filter (stated in a post above), it is because there is more and finer filter media in it, right in line with what was said after cutting apart several filters including the Pure One filter, and comparing them. I really don't think the pressure drop over the Pure One filter is enough to cause a harmful pressure drop downstream.. Further, I don't think for a moment that this pressure drop, which in turn will cause a smidge higher back pressure up against the oil pump, is ever going to be sufficient to cause harm to the pump, or even cause a lower delta P over the pump, i. e the pump leaks back to the intake due to high back pressure. I have used Pure One since the second oil change on the bike, and will continue to use it. I have talked to the service manager where I bought the bike, who I have a very good relationship with, along with the rest of the crew, about aledged warranty problems using a filter that didn't say "Honda" on it. They told me to have a Honda filter handy and slap it on the bike if the engine somehow came apart, then bring the bike up to them.

Last edited:

FL-STrider

Roughing it smoothly
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Torlang,
I agree with your statements. The Pure-0ne bypass filter is set within 1 PSI of the OEM filter. The slightly higher back pressure (ie delta P) will be negligible in my opinion.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Fred D said:
Interesting, I especially liked "Modern spin-on oil filter manufacturers would not be in business very long if they made filters that blew up engines."

When I am provided documentation that the 6+ dollar OEM Honda filter meets or exceeds the efficiency of my 2 dollar ST7317 filter, I will use the OEM filter.
A Fram nearly destroyed my Interceptor and killed me dumping oil (I mean DUMPING!) in front of the rear tire..... You could not pay me enough money to run a Fram.

OP
OP
Asphalt
FYI,

I have not contacted Purolator since my original post on this subject.

I have always used Honda parts including Honda oil filter for my ST.

The Purolator tech support phone number I have on record is:
1-800-526-4250

(PS: I received a pm requesting this phone number and was unable to respond since the user setting were set to not receive pm replies)

STOC #
I did not realize until reading this thread that my Honda Civic Hybrid and my ST1300 use the same 7313 filter! (of course, they have the same size engine, too)

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I did not realize until reading this thread that my Honda Civic Hybrid and my ST1300 use the same 7313 filter! (of course, they have the same size engine, too)
ahhh... but do you pay the same for the car filter (purchased from the car dealer) as you do for the filter (when purchased from the MC dealer)?
:)

Mark

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
144k+ miles on the pure 1 only problem my ST has had is the alternator failed at 142K no relationship to the filter.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Beware zombie thread!

I got my Honda car and bike filters (use the aforementioned auto one, fits most Honda cars except the S2000) from the car dealer although I last ordered a 6 pack of them from H & A Accessories online. About 5 bucks for Honda OEM with the same oil pressure bypass spec and filtration spec as bike filters. The Triumph Tiger uses the same filter so now my garage uses the same filters.

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
After testing the K&N air filter, I would never ever put one on any of my vehicles as it allows much larger particles to get thru than the factory OEM filter.
Precisely why I gave my K&N away and went back to stock.

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
I just got off the phone with Purolator and was trying to find a sales distributor for their PureONE filters in the Toronto area...this is what their tech support advised me about their filters:

1) Purolator PureONE PL14610 oil filter is a automotive oil filter ONLY and is NOT tested OR recommended by them for motorcycle application. They stated that the type of filter paper used is not acceptable for motorcycle engines and also that they have too high a pressure drop.

2) Purolator PureONE ML16817 is their recommended ST1300 motorcycle filter, which thay stated is 96% efficient at 30 micron (They say this is a very respectable efficiency).

I wanted to post this as it seems disconcerting to me especially with so many people in these forums posting that they use a PureONE PL model car oil filter.
FYI I Had mine delivered to the door with free 2 day shipping from amazon.ca

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=purolator oil filter&sprefix=purolator,aps,223

Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
I've learned a valuable lesson on this forum: Don't ever post anything stupid and assume it will go away in time, this thread was resurrected more than 7 years after the last post! Not that there was anything controversial here, just saying "be careful!".

Top Bottom