Article [13] ST1300 - Rear Seat Conversion (ST1300P to ST1300)

Bike
ST1300PA
Hi there,
I converted the seat myself with the help of a friend...he's got all the tools you could ever need.
It took us just under 3 hourse to do. We replaced the sub-frame and the 2 seats. No kits for this, but I have a complete parts list. There are a couple of things missing from it...there are 2 washers for the bottom of the rear pegs and some fittings for the rear deck on the grab rail.
The other part numbers are:
90201-425-700 (you need 4)
91501-766-000 (4)
94101-06000 (2) Washers for pegs.

I think there's a couple of plastic body parts missing too...they go around the suspension dampener and the same spot on the other side.
I have to check to see if the dealership forgot to put them on or if these are not part of the PA edition.

It isn't difficult to do, just time consuming...if you have another St to look at, it helps a lot...oh, and having a friend to help is also a good idea...

If you have any questions, let me know...

Matt

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

RPR

Bike
2006 ST1300
Matt, thanks for the breakdown. I have a 2006 ST1300AP I also want to to replace the radio box with a rear seat. How was it to replace the seat rail, this looks to be the difficult item. I want to buy a 1-piece aftermarket seat, like a Corbin. Was there anything different about the front of the main seat between the police and standard? Corbin said that the seat lock is required for their seat. The front of it uses the tab in the center. Would I need the front and rear seat hardware like the seat stoppers, settings, cushions, etc.? These look like they come with the main or pillion seat or available separately.

Does the radio box come off to then get the police front seat off?
What I will miss is the rear brake light modulator if I cannot mount this after the conversion. This mounts to the cowl bracket now. It looks like I should still be able to mount this to the grab rail. I'm unsure, do you know?

RPR

Bike
2006 ST1300
Matt,

If you want a 1-piece seat, I don't think it's required to replace the seat rail which is expensive and a lot more work. I think I would rather spend more money on the seat.

It appears to me at this point that you could just install the seat catch hook, seat lock cable and seat opener all in the grab rail parts. However, I have two hang-ups at the moment. I don't understand how the seat opener mounts under the L-Hand grab rail lever, because I could not remove my grab rail. The diagram shows it mounts with a bolt, but not what it bolts too. Can you describe this and the cable routing? I can't remove the grab rail to clarify the aforementioned issue. The front-most bolts on the grab rail center cover have extensions on them to allow the cowl bracket and radio box to mount, and it appears there are flange nuts under the grab rail that just keep spinning as I try to loosen these bolts. Its really hard to get under the rear of the grab rail to get at these and I may be stripping them. Who would design this method of mounting? I might have to resort to cutting these bolts off the cover to allow access to the rear grab rail bolts. Did you have problems with these? There is a plate that attaches across the grab rail for bolting the police main seat that will be removed.

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
Matt, thanks for the breakdown. I have a 2006 ST1300AP I also want to to replace the radio box with a rear seat. How was it to replace the seat rail, this looks to be the difficult item. I want to buy a 1-piece aftermarket seat, like a Corbin. Was there anything different about the front of the main seat between the police and standard? Corbin said that the seat lock is required for their seat. The front of it uses the tab in the center. Would I need the front and rear seat hardware like the seat stoppers, settings, cushions, etc.? These look like they come with the main or pillion seat or available separately.

Does the radio box come off to then get the police front seat off?
What I will miss is the rear brake light modulator if I cannot mount this after the conversion. This mounts to the cowl bracket now. It looks like I should still be able to mount this to the grab rail. I'm unsure, do you know?
Did you end up doing the conversion? I am looking at buying an old police bike and would want a regular seat and eliminate the radio box. I would rather have a 1 piece seat than pay money to have a factory seat.

Bike
2004 ST1300 Police
Hi there,
I converted the seat myself with the help of a friend...he's got all the tools you could ever need.
It took us just under 3 hourse to do. We replaced the sub-frame and the 2 seats. No kits for this, but I have a complete parts list. There are a couple of things missing from it...there are 2 washers for the bottom of the rear pegs and some fittings for the rear deck on the grab rail.
91501-766-000 (4)

I think there's a couple of plastic body parts missing too...they go around the suspension dampener and the same spot on the other side.
I have to check to see if the dealership forgot to put them on or if these are not part of the PA edition.

It isn't difficult to do, just time consuming...if you have another St to look at, it helps a lot...oh, and having a friend to help is also a good idea...

Matt

Hi,

Thanks for the great info. I am about to do the same thing. But I found a thread on the Australian site where the guy doesn't replace the sub frame but saws off four posts. Does anyone know if that will work? I don't want to replace the sub frame if I don't have to ($$$).

His post is here: http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=7590.0

Bike
2004 ST1300 Police
Matt,

If you want a 1-piece seat, I don't think it's required to replace the seat rail which is expensive and a lot more work. I think I would rather spend more money on the seat.

It appears to me at this point that you could just install the seat catch hook, seat lock cable and seat opener all in the grab rail parts. However, I have two hang-ups at the moment. I don't understand how the seat opener mounts under the L-Hand grab rail lever, because I could not remove my grab rail. The diagram shows it mounts with a bolt, but not what it bolts too. Can you describe this and the cable routing? I can't remove the grab rail to clarify the aforementioned issue. The front-most bolts on the grab rail center cover have extensions on them to allow the cowl bracket and radio box to mount, and it appears there are flange nuts under the grab rail that just keep spinning as I try to loosen these bolts. Its really hard to get under the rear of the grab rail to get at these and I may be stripping them. Who would design this method of mounting? I might have to resort to cutting these bolts off the cover to allow access to the rear grab rail bolts. Did you have problems with these? There is a plate that attaches across the grab rail for bolting the police main seat that will be removed.
Hi,

If I want a double seat (cheaper) do I have to replace the sub frame? A guy in Australia has done it without replacing the sub frame. Here is his post: http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=7590.0

I just got a 2016 PA bike new. Looking to convert single seat to dual. Appears that the single seat is cheaper than adding a rear seat, not sure why? What does it cost to get the rear seat alone? I see it is sold by Partzilla for $175 or so. What are the estimated cost to convert to single seat? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I just got a 2016 PA bike new. Looking to convert single seat to dual. Appears that the single seat is cheaper than adding a rear seat, not sure why? What does it cost to get the rear seat alone? I see it is sold by Partzilla for $175 or so. What are the estimated cost to convert to single seat? Your help is greatly appreciated.
The police version has a different frame with extra tabs welded on. So, it's not as simple as removing the police rear hump and putting an oem seat there. Some modifications are necessary and can be seen in the files in the first post of this thread.

As far as 1 vs 2 piece seats, they both use the same attachment points so an oem 2 pc or sargen 1 pc seat will fit an OEM bike... but not a police bike unless you make the necessary modifications.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've seen that video before and thought it was pretty decent. Early on he points out the lack of brackets on the civilian subframe and they mentions to brackets for "cables or I guess and such". The two square brackets in front are the guides for the tabs on the front of the rear seat and also fit into the slots on the rear of the front seat.

What I didn't realize for a long time is the two horizontal U-shaped brackets are actually helmet holders. But it's not worth my time to remove and reinstall the seat to use them. I may look for one of the metal extenders to use.

The police version has a different frame with extra tabs welded on. So, it's not as simple as removing the police rear hump and putting an oem seat there. Some modifications are necessary and can be seen in the files in the first post of this thread.

As far as 1 vs 2 piece seats, they both use the same attachment points so an oem 2 pc or sargen 1 pc seat will fit an OEM bike... but not a police bike unless you make the necessary modifications.
Thanks. I have ordered the parts, and plan on making the modifications before winter sets in her in NYC

Bike
2013 Honda ST1300 PA
Thanks. I have ordered the parts, and plan on making the modifications before winter sets in her in NYC
I'm interested in converting my 2013 to 2 up. Is the 04-12 sub frame usable for the 13? I'll check out the video posted here. Parts list and sources appreciated.

Hi there,
91501-766-000 (4)

Matt

Any idea where to get a rear cowling for the PA when someone is changing it to a rear seat?
I ride solo, so I would rather have the cowling to put my fuse block,etc...

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
Any idea where to get a rear cowling for the PA when someone is changing it to a rear seat?
Are you looking for a hardware list to convert it to a PA model? To convert it "correctly" you will need the PA sub frame since it has the threaded bolt holes welded to it for the radio plate and radio box to mount to. I am sure you could find an alternate way to just mount the radio box if that is all you wanted. Quite a few of us have done the conversion to a two seater, so be very specific on your "wants", more than a few probably have these parts lying around. I do not intend on having a second passenger, but I wanted to utilize a back seat for my dry bag since there was no way to mount it to the police cowl, and it is a lot easier to swing your leg over.

Ryan

I have parts including the actual cowling from my conversion, if you are interested in buying it or bartering parts. Call or text me 2122039194. There are three small metal anchors you need in addition to what I have to assemble the cowling, which needs to be welded to your chassis unless you want to replace the subframe (more expensive)

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Can you clarify that question like I'm a golden retriever.
After rereading and seeing the reponses, this may be your huckleberry.
1631427722196.png

Top Bottom