Smartire info

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
I have had a motorcycle version of the Smartire setup in the STeed since 2006. The battery in the rear started acting up and finally quit about six months ago. This week, it was finally time to change to a new PR2 (13,500 miles) and change out the Smartire unit. I ordered a Wheel Sensor (Low) #062-1001 from Vulcan Tires Sales. I also called them and was assured that the sensor, even though Smartire doesn't make a motorcycle unit anymore, that the sensor was the same. It was installed yesterday. On first trial, I got a reading CP. I downloaded the manual found in the Smartire 'Archive' to relearn how to reprogram the unit. Holding the button in when you turn the ignition on puts it into learning mode. Upon driving over 6 mph, it picked up the new rear unit and gave the correct psi. It didn't need to, but also relearned the front.
I just wanted to reaasure Smartire owners that the sensors now marketed for cages work just fine with the motorcycle units. I got over 4 1/2 years use out of the battery in the rear and now over 5 years on the front battery.
The picture is my install in the vent area. I used a Dremel to hog out the area needed and sealed it with black caulking.

John

Attachments

Been awhile since I have had to do anything to my Smart Tire, but aren't you suppose to be sitting still, turn the key on while holding in the button on the Smart Tire, then when it is flashing for the front tire, spin the front tire until the sensor is picked up, then spin the rear tire. In other words, I could be wrong, but I thought you were suppose to be stationary and only one wheel moving at a time, and even then, the wheels shouldn't have been moved for at least 5 minutes before performing the sync.

OP
OP
jnsgardner

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
Yes, that's the unit. I didn't have the ability at the time to spin the front tire, so I just took the bike out into my street with the unit blinking and rode over 6 mph. It picked up the new rear and re-picked up the old front. I didn't go far and brought it back. An hour later, I tested the unit and it was totally normal. Over 6 mph, it showed psi for the front, then rear, then the two blocks that informed that it was getting signals from both. Push the button and get psi, then temp for both the front and back, then back to the two blocks.
If you've lost your manuel, you can go to the Smartire website and look in the archives for the motorcycle unit info. To reprogram, hold the button in when you turn on the ignition. The unit will blink and be ready to program.

John

I just ordered mine, my front tire unit went out 5 minutes from home while on a 2,700 mile trip.

Steve Jones

Eschew Obfuscation
Bike
2003 ST1300A
STOC #
I...On first trial, I got a reading CP. I downloaded the manual found in the Smartire 'Archive' to relearn how to reprogram the unit. Holding the button in when you turn the ignition on puts it into learning mode. Upon driving over 6 mph, it picked up the new rear unit and gave the correct psi. It didn't need to, but also relearned the front.
You're actually supposed to do that every time you add air. That first reading after pressing CP is what it uses to compute expected pressures at different temps. The unit is programmed with the presumption that CP will be set with cold tires.

...aren't you suppose to be sitting still, turn the key on while holding in the button on the Smart Tire, then when it is flashing for the front tire, spin the front tire until the sensor is picked up, then spin the rear tire. In other words, I could be wrong, but I thought you were suppose to be stationary and only one wheel moving at a time, and even then, the wheels shouldn't have been moved for at least 5 minutes before performing the sync.
All you need to do is Enter CP mode (within 10 seconds of applying power to the receiver, press and hold the button until the display reads CP). Then ride. The centrifugal switch in the tires will close and they will begin their normal data transmission once you hit at about 6mph. The receiver is listening as always, and since you are in CP mode will take the first reading and use it for the logic from that point forward. No need to do them one at a time, no need to be stationary.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
An FJR buddy reported to me he could not order sensors from Vulcan Tire, apparently out of stock... (I have not tried)... can anyone tell me your source of replacement sensors you may have obtained recently? Thanks.

Bike
2003 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
SmarTire is based in Canada and I was a dealer for the motorcycle units. I was aware that the car units used the same sensor. If you can't get them from Vulcan private message me and I will see if I can get some for you from my contact at Smartire. I have a brand new Motorcycle Kit here also that I haev been holding on to in case the new ST doesn't come with TPM. I think I have an extra 4 of the motorcycle sensors in case I couldn't get anymore.

Tim :03biker:

Bike
2006 St1300
I'd have to say my only complaint about the SmarTire is that the sensors do not come with a small counter weight to place on the band to help balance the tire. You need to use the glued on weights and usually a lot of them. Any machinist out there? It'd be a small piece with the slots for the big band clamp. Maybe some carpet tape under it to keep it from sliding ....

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I'd have to say my only complaint about the SmarTire is that the sensors do not come with a small counter weight to place on the band to help balance the tire. You need to use the glued on weights and usually a lot of them. Any machinist out there? It'd be a small piece with the slots for the big band clamp. Maybe some carpet tape under it to keep it from sliding ....

You could use a couple of the steel bridge pieces that SmartTire provides for you to put around at the valve stem (or bend up your own). Best thing to do is balance the wheel with no tire first, then mount the tire. You may find you need to move the sensor to a different place than SmarTire says (I did). This takes time, but you only need to do it once.

OP
OP
jnsgardner

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
Smartire Sensor...SOLVED! My rear Smartire sensor was showing signs of old age. It was very slow to register at any speed and sometimes wouldn't. Time for a new one...but where. They weren't being made anymore and Vulcan Tire was no help. I Googled Smartire sensors and Bob Dickman Tire showed up. http://dickmantires.com/SmarTire/Stire_sensors_tools.html
I called 800 257-8430 and talked to a Paul Kintigh about the green unit Part # 200.0171. He didn't have any experience with the motorcycle version of Smartire, but he assured me the sensor would work in cars. I bit the bullet for $94.70 ($89.50 for the unit and $5.20 shipping). Paul included the high cradle for free just because we didn't know what was needed. (Low is what you need for a ST) It came soon enough and was well packaged. Don't worry that the Part # in the picture on the website (200.0171) is different from the invoice Part #(201.0017) that comes with the part. The light green color is the important part. The install was a simple swap out of the old grey unit. Balance the wheel naked (?) by sliding the unit around in the general area of opposite the valve stem. As you can see from the picture, the low cradle fit well and should be no problem on the slightly larger radius front.
Paul advised to use the deflation method rather than shaking the unit to activate it. What this means is to pump it up to 42 psi, then deflate totally, them pump her back up. What this does is flip the switch (metaphorically) from totally off from the factory to on and broadcasting every 15 minutes. This last part is different from the grey units which broadcast after 6 mph and goes off when stopped. For those that have lost or can't find their old motorcycle version manual, you can find a downloadable version on the Smartire.com website under Support - 'older manuals'. I was worried when, after putting the receiver in 'learning mode' or CP, it didn't register. After a few minutes, the number came up and it went to the two small blocks indicating registration front and back. What had happened is that I'd just caught it somewhere in the 15 minute cycle when I started driving. After it registered with the receiver, it did just what you'd expect...pressure...plus/minus what it should be...temperature...front and back. Everything works just as it has been for the past six years and I'm a happy camper. For those who are concerned that it never really goes off...well, just don't worry about it. The new unit should last as long or longer than the old grey ones...I hope!

John

Edit: The price quoited above is wrong...in a good way! The price for the light green unit is $85.37 not $89.50. Hey it's barely a gallon of gas, on the other hand, it is better than a sharp stick in the eye! The price does include a cradle and I highly, highly recommend choosing the low cradle. I was also slightly wrong about it's transmitting. Unlike the grey sensor, the green unit doesn't truly turn off when at rest, but it does slumber so it is not transmitting every 15 minutes all night long. The longevity should be the same or longer because the new units have a bigger battery. Paul indicated that the units are now being manufactured by Bendix and that he just got 50 in house, so I doubt there will be any need for hoarding. Still, why is a tire dealership in a small Oregon city the only source that pops up on Google? Maybe it's the same as when Vulcan Tire used to be the source for the Smartire stuff. Maybe Two Brothers might pick up on this so we would have a secure source into the future with a motorcycle tire background.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Thank you for this exciting news.... now if I hadn't replaced my SmartTire with a Doran, I'd be all set...... but I know a couple of people with systems who will be very happy replacement sensors are available (maybe a knock-off sensor? The old ones broadcast every 6 minutes)........... Going to look for my old system, it's packed away somewhere (moving soon).......................

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Good find! Nice that they separated the sensor itself from the mount or bridge. When the old style one gets broken, you have to replace the whole thing. I've got an extra set of the old style sensors on my bench for now though.

I wonder if some standard stick on tire balancing weights placed opposite the sensor and captured under that band would serve to neutralize the sensor's weight and make tire balancing easier. As it is I sometimes run out of space to put enough weight. That and a lot of those stick on weights are now made of antimony or some such instead of lead and are almost half the density.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I ordered mine today should be here in 2-3 days will get it all installed again at the tech day on the 24th. I t will be good to have the smart tire system up and running again. None of the otheres I have tried were as user friendly as this one.

Top Bottom