Smartire info

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
My sensors came in the mail yesterday I can't wait to get them installed in 2 weeks. I will re-install my Smart Tire unit this weekend and get the sensors in on the 24th when I change the tires. Dickmans service was excellent I spoke to their Smart Tire guy who processed my order right away.

OP
OP
jnsgardner

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
Steve, don't forget that after they're in the tires and your ready to go, they may not seem to work. Do the full inflation then total deflation, and then back up to 42psi. That wakes them up from being in the total sleep mode that they come from the factory in. At the Smartire website, you can find http://www.smartire.com/2006/pdf/manuals/smtr_moto_manual_na.pdf The instructions are meant for the old grey sensors. The green ones do the same thing...but not always right away like the grey ones. I know I was disappointed at first thinking "Gosh darn it...all the work and they don't work" After riding for a few minutes...bamm, it registered and all is well. After a few weeks experience now, my front tire (grey) registers right away and the rear (green) gives just empty bars until...there it is. Now, I don't even worry about it. I look down and there are the two bars telling me that both front and back are online. A push of the button and there's pressure, +/- whatever, and temperature. Just have faith and believe :)

John

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Well I am giving up on the Smart Tire system. I installed everything and it was working ok Then the front sensor fell apart in the wheel. This could have been due to being broken on tire installation. I ordered a new one and installed it just before departing for Moonshine. It was all working ok then I developed a bounce in the front wheel. It also took a lot of weights to balance the wheel with the car sensors installed. Yesterday I had both sensors removed and pulled the system off the bike. The front sensor had disintegrated again and the strap also was in a hundred pieces. This is what was causing the front end bounce. SO anyway I am done with Smart tire. I think the car sensors are just too big to use on a MC. They are almost double the size of the sensor that came with the MC system originally.

OP
OP
jnsgardner

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
Steve,

I'm sorry to hear of your Smartire problems. I've had that green unit in the rear tire for over 2000 miles with no problems whatsoever. I don't understand how the strap could be in 100 pieces? Mine is a giant hose clamp made of stainless steel and couldn't possibly disintegrate. As far as size is concerned, the green one is wider but I had no problem fitting into the groove in the rear and it is just a touch higher. Perhaps you had the wrong (of two possibilities) plastic curved mount. I was sent two black plastic mounts and one is definitely the wrong curve as it was more of an arch while the other almost matched the curve of the wheel. Pulling the strap too tight might cause even the correct mount to bow and break. What's too tight? I would judge just right to be just when the sensor won't move under hand pressure. Also the shop I used in Poway put just the wheel on it's balancer and move the sensor until the wheel was more balanced than the standard 'put it opposite the valve stem' thinking. It was about 30 degrees off of the 180 degrees from the valve stem.
In any case, I bet if you put your unit and sensor up for sale, they would be snapped up. The unit didn't cause the problems and someone might have a different result with mounting the sensor. As such, I would like to be first in line to buy your other green sensor for when the grey one in my front gives up the ghost.

John

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for the info on Bob Dickman, jnsgardner! Here it is Sep of 2014, and I just installed the 200.0171 green sensor with success! I talked to Paul (still there) and he was familiar with the smart tire set-up, and very helpful. Thanks again for the never give up part of the install as I did not have initial success. I finally did a deflate/inflate/deflate/inflate, then as soon as it was filled to 42psi, I immediately turned on the bike, set the mode to cp, and then rode without any wait time. I don't know if that helped, but, like you said, I started riding and this time it took and has been working great. I have a new green sensor waiting for the rear tire replacement. Off to WeSTOC XIX, with a working TPMS.

sscharf

Yesterday I had both sensors removed and pulled the system off the bike. The front sensor had disintegrated again and the strap also was in a hundred pieces. This is what was causing the front end bounce. SO anyway I am done with Smart tire. I think the car sensors are just too big to use on a MC. They are almost double the size of the sensor that came with the MC system originally.
That happened to me as well. I had the original M/C sensor in my front wheel, for probably 7 years and 150K miles. Everything was shattered. I thought I had bad wheel bearings!

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
If you still have the receiver/indicator, I'd be interesting in buying it. I'm using the car sensors with the system on my 1300, and wouldn't mind having a spare system.

Top Bottom