2004 Honda ST1300 ABS Repaint

Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
For a long time I have considered repainting my 04 (which is BLUE).

Not that its a bad color.

But the white on the police models has always caught my eye.

Have considered a pretty Pearl White or even a Iridescent White paint.

Opinions please.

Will this de-value the bike.

Granted it is an 04, but only 8,775 miles on it. Hardly broken in.

Have also thought the White would make the bike more visible.

:bl13:

to

:wht13:

Another factor is that I'm trying to get my hands on a hondaline topbox.

David Silver Spares can dleiver one in Red, which will require re-paint any way I choose color.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
:eek:

Not feeling well Blue-N-Bethany? :sick1:

(Seriously, do what you want... sad to see blue go away, but any color is good. I like copper or yellow to be different. )

Byron

STOC #
Have you looked at the actual cost to have it repainted vs just buying white parts?

OP
OP
Red-On-Rockwell
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
No sadly I have not investagated.

The dealing over the topbox issue just got me thinking, since to have a matching topbox, requires re-paint anyway.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Have you looked at the actual cost to have it repainted vs just buying white parts?
I looked at this a while ago... it was in the 3,500 range to buy the white plastic and white tank. Now, you could sell some of your original plastic and tank to recoup costs.

There is a guy here in TX that can paint an ST white for 1k... maybe a little more. I think that is the best route as you'd get better paint than Honda uses... IMO.

Bike
2001 ST1100
In the U.K. people are sometimes suspicious of a resprayed bike. How do they know that you have changed the bike's colour just because you prefer the new colour.
I'd get a quote for a paint job and then see how that compares with used white panels on ebay. If it's about the same, get the ebay ones. You can put the originals back on when you come to sell. That would keep the value at what it should be and you'll be able to sell the spare set as well.

OP
OP
Red-On-Rockwell
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
In the U.K. people are sometimes suspicious of a resprayed bike. How do they know that you have changed the bike's colour just because you prefer the new colour.
I'd get a quote for a paint job and then see how that compares with used white panels on ebay. If it's about the same, get the ebay ones. You can put the originals back on when you come to sell. That would keep the value at what it should be and you'll be able to sell the spare set as well.
That was a REAL concern also.

People thinking it was wrecked at one time!!!!!!

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
There is a guy here in TX that can paint an ST white for 1k... maybe a little more.
I had no idea Earl Scheib was living in Texas these days (or even living, come to think of it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtjdHaMeiiQ

:D

B&B: A repaint done well won't de-value the bike, but you might not recoup much of what you paid to have it done when you go to sell it unless the buyer is willing to pay a premium for a non-standard color. But as I always say, it's a motorcycle, not an investment...

--Mark

Bike
HD VROD
Paint it. I have 2 other bikes, also painted white, and Love the white. Easy to see, clean, and unique. I looked at new plastic (3-4K) and a one color paintjob (base coat/clear coat) should go about 1000 - 1200. Remove all parts, wash in dawn dish soap, rinse well, and drop at painter. I use PPG ultrawhite, and love it. If you worry about things like what people think (was it wrecked? why was it painted) don't. nobody will care. Paint it, and ride it! JMHO, Joe

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
And here I sit looking at having to paint some red parts to match the blue! :eek::

If you decide to go after new White panels, check with me, I would be interested in buying your Blue plastic! ;)

On the other hand, has anyone braved buying that Korean plastic on ebay yet? Quality? fit? is it worth it?

:think1:

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
But if you paint Blue over Red, you'll have a sleeper, since they will think it's Blue, but it is Red fast!...;)
I'm enjoying this thread so much :D

Well, i guess I am in the wrong thread to start with lol, since I was looking at how to repaint parts of a bike after a low-side. The search goes on!

Regards,
Vishnu

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm enjoying this thread so much :D

Well, i guess I am in the wrong thread to start with lol, since I was looking at how to repaint parts of a bike after a low-side. The search goes on!

Regards,
Vishnu
I think your best bet there would be YouTube!

2004 Honda ST1300 ABS Repaint

For a second there, I thought you were going to paint the ABS ring :D

Why not go the Plasti-Dip route? Then later, you can peel off the white and be back at blue

[video=youtube;J5inEZbXmMU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5inEZbXmMU[/video]

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
wow, that plasti-dip stuff is pretty cool, had to watch a few vids... thanks for posting the link.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I have painted a few bikes and they are a lot of work especially the ones with all plastic. There is a significant amount of prep work. The sanding to get everything right especially with all of the nooks and crannies. If you buy high quality base paint along with a 2 part clear you will be in the $200 range just for paint. I have been looking at painting my wife's ST1100 which would also be a color change which means that everything should be primed. To have a shop do it we are looking at $1000 to $1500. Don't forget that is needs to be rubbed out after painting. They are tough to do. A lot of time.

Rattle cans are not a satisfactory way to paint a bike of the ST class. They deserve the best. There was a post just a bit ago where someone bought all new Tupperware it was pricey but easy and the old Tupperware does have value.

Top Bottom