A family day at Mid Ohio riding KTM's $20k bike

FOG

The boys and I spent yesterday playing with KTM's bikes at the racetrack.

Part of the "Arrive and Ride" program. No need to haul bikes, trailers, gas tires with you, just your riding gear and go.

It was a HOT day, temps in the 90's, but low humidity so it did not feel as bad, we drank LOTS of water though to prevent dehydration. There were 10 riders from Buffalo area, including us and we brought 3 pop ups to create a shade zone.

Started out with a RC8R nothing like playing with a $20,000 toy you don't own!! First thing I noticed is the throttle cable had WAY too much free play seemed like an 1/8 turn just to start working, combine that with 150 rev happy hp, and an ON-OFF power delivery (even when compensating for the cable slack) and I didn't like the bike much at all, and it wasn't just me, several people including one our guys who is a licensed racer said the same. very hard to hold steady throttle and it made it very hard to feel comfortable accelerating through the corner.

Next session I jumped on one of the Super Dukes, and holy crap, I fell in LOVE! Guess you need to be a better rider to appreciate the RC8R. I bet I was 5-10 second a lap quicker on the Duke.

Next up I grabbed the 990 supermoto, and WoHooooooo. Passed the 5 bikes that went out ahead, caught the next group and dispa4tched all them, only got passed by a track coach, and stayed with him for 3 or 4 clean laps, until the session was over. Felt so confident on this I was driving under over and around bikes, making up lines as I went.

After lunch I did ride the standard RC8 and it was much better than the R as far as I was concerned, but went back to the Super Duks as the Supermoto was taken and the Duke made me smile more than the RC's.

All and all a good day, 60 riders 3 groups, 6 sessions and NO crashes all day!

The Buffalo compound

The Bikes

Trying to stay cool, me and my sexy legs, youngest son in green shirt, middle son behind me, and a couple of the Bufflao crew in back

Me and the Super Duke, LOVE this bike!

Middle son on the Duke

Youngest and an RC8

Top Bottom