Article Setting up a new J&M CB/Intercom system

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
After riding a few thousand miles with Mellow recently and countless other rides with folks that have CB or FRS/GMRS communications capabilities, I decided for numerous reasons that it was time to upgrade from my Scala Q2 Multiset to a full J&M system....

I figured that this would be a good opportunity to post the set up and Component requirements for those that are interested but wary of the cost

For now, I'll publish the list of components (Provided by Mellow) that I purchased (Since I won't receive them until 7/21...)

1a - JM-JMCB2003-SL-JMCB2003 SOLO 40 CHANNEL CB KIT ($255)
-OR-
1b - JM-JMCB2003-DU-JMCB2003-DU DUAL 40 CHANNEL CB KIT ($306)
Don't get the dual setup if you don't plan on riding two-up.
http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM-JMCB2003-SL

2 - JM-JCB03-HBK01-JMCB-2003 MOUNTING BRACKET KIT ONLY ST-1300/1100 ($34)
http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM-JCB03-HBK01

3 - MCL Antenna bracket w/extension to get past top box ($30)
http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3&products_id=12

4 - Firestik 2' No Ground Plane (NGP) antenna and cable (clay's CB shop) ($50)
http://www.claysradioshop.com/citizensband_firestick_FG-648.html

5 - Elite Headset w/J&M 2003 CB lower cord ($243)
http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM-HS-ECD584-FF

.... warning .... you can stop here and you'll have your CB .....

But, I also want to hear my Zumo commands, music and phone calls So I ordered the following components as well...

6 - J&M Integration unit to hook radar detector,zumo, cell, FRS/GMRS into the CB. ($314)
http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM-JCB03-CFRG-D

7- Zumo harness cable ($34)
http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM-CFRG-D-CA02

Last edited by a moderator:

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Re: Setting up a new J&M CB/Intercom system...

I have the same setup except I have a Dual system and used a J&M 2' ground plane antenna.

I also added ferrite cores on several wires (power, audio) to reduce the pickup from the ignition coils.

OP
OP
Tankereng

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #

I ordered the Dual system as well...

Ferrite cores?

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #

Ferrite cores/beads essentially absorb noise spikes in circuits. I found that I was getting a lot of noise on my power and audio wires, and sometimes it was interfering with the proper operation of the CB when in high power. I have many wires that come close to the ignition coils (stebel power, fork lights power, CB power, accessory power) and strategic placement of the ferrite cores eliminated the noise that was being transmitted to the CB via the power wires.

As a side note - I suspect some people have GPS glitches (lock ups, etc) due to 'dirty' power...and microprocessor based devices (such as the JM CB, Zumo, etc) absolutely hate 'dirty' power LOL.

The key with using ferrite is to get the wire as close as possible to the ferrite for maximum absorption of noise. Also, multiple windings around a ferrite core helps to increase the noise reduction effectiveness and lowers the frequency where optimum absorption occurs.

The simple story - use ferrite beads/cores whenever there is a possibility of routed wires picking up noise from the circuit or adjacent wires. When using ferrite beads/cores, select inner diameters that will mesh tightly with at least two passes of the wire (a loop around the core). You will most likely need the 'snap' variety for pre-assembled harnesses (such as the J&M), whereas you can use the whole cores if you are routing the wire without any ends attached.

Edit - Page 4 from this catalog helps to explain a little bit of my psychobabble. The noise generated on the ST is mostly Low Frequency noise. Many of these ferrites can be purchased from Mouser electronics or many other suppliers. I also scavenge them off old computer cables from garage sales, etc.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy

I have the same setup. Just not step 6. I love it! And wish I would have done it a long time ago. I have a Garmin 2730 hooked to it. Works great. I know the 2730 is old. But It's my first. Should have done that a long time ago also!

OP
OP
Tankereng

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #

Wow, I learn something new everyday. Now I know what those cylinders are on all my electronics power cables....:D I've got plenty of spares laying around...may have to cannibalize a few of them....:cool:

RCS

Thanks for posting. I'm keeping an eye on this thread. I'm interested in this solution (CB mostly) and want to know if you believe that the J&M speakers will be an effective replacement for my custom molded earplugs on 11 hour 70+mph highway rides.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Thanks for posting. I'm keeping an eye on this thread. I'm interested in this solution (CB mostly) and want to know if you believe that the J&M speakers will be an effective replacement for my custom molded earplugs on 11 hour 70+mph highway rides.
The speakers are fine as you can hear the sound even with foam ear plugs in. They are not going to sound as good as in-ear speakers... but, you will be able to hear them at any speed.

I'm also tried these adapters to allow you to use the J&M CB w/in-ear speakers
http://www.edsets.com/universal_adapter?category_id=62

In the end, I gave up on in-ear speakers as my ear canals are just too sensitive and I can't get more than 5-6 hrs before they are sore and need a couple days without them before trying again.

Bike
ST 1300

I have a J&M setup on mine...just added the Nolan Trilogy N43 helmet with Bluetooth...the best part is hubby and I can talk(bike to bike) WITHOUT anyone else hearing what we are saying, including our son riding 2up behind dad. (boy has the normal Goldwing audio lower) If I want the boy to hear, I just talk over the CB.
When I answer the phone, no one else hears it. The only "downfalls" are that if hubby and I are "connected" I have to listen to his music, and when I am solo, if I want to use the CB or listen to my music, I have to be plugged in. (I can also listen to music via my cell phone's library over the bluetooth)

Really convenient when you don't want the whole world to know you have to pee!:D

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #

J&M also offers a lower cord (HC-ZB-S) that allows use of earbuds. It's expensive, like all J&M stuff, but probably less than a regular lower cord and the Edset adapter combined.

OP
OP
Tankereng

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #

Ferrite cores/beads essentially absorb noise spikes in circuits. I found that I was getting a lot of noise on my power and audio wires, and sometimes it was interfering with the proper operation of the CB when in high power. I have many wires that come close to the ignition coils (stebel power, fork lights power, CB power, accessory power) and strategic placement of the ferrite cores eliminated the noise that was being transmitted to the CB via the power wires.

The key with using ferrite is to get the wire as close as possible to the ferrite for maximum absorption of noise. Also, multiple windings around a ferrite core helps to increase the noise reduction effectiveness and lowers the frequency where optimum absorption occurs.

The simple story - use ferrite beads/cores whenever there is a possibility of routed wires picking up noise from the circuit or adjacent wires. When using ferrite beads/cores, select inner diameters that will mesh tightly with at least two passes of the wire (a loop around the core). You will most likely need the 'snap' variety for pre-assembled harnesses (such as the J&M), whereas you can use the whole cores if you are routing the wire without any ends attached.
Added a Ferrite core to my J&M tonight......eliminated all the ticking being picked up from the left ignition coil...:headbang:

RCS

And....what is your impression of the system? How is the sound with earplugs and is it everything you thought it would be? :)

OP
OP
Tankereng

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #

And....what is your impression of the system? How is the sound with earplugs and is it everything you thought it would be? :)

I am very impressed with the system so far. Only a handful of miles at highway speeds and haven't talked much via the CB yet but it seems to be working as advertised... Phone call quality is good. The overall sound quality is 100X better that what I had with just the Scala Q2...

kieth

Autocom

After you posted your budget I thought I might show you an alternative system that offers both frs\gmrs and cb capabilaties at a much lower price and has more features.

Autocom Super Pro Automatic
For Rider and Passenger: $599.00

PTT/Privacy with power: $105.00

Icom radio lead: 59.95

Icom 4 watt radio with bike
power kit: $125.00

Cobra CB (battery only opertion) 95.00

RF Chokes 10.00

Total: $994.00 + freight -(ST OWNERS discount

This system allows one a lot more options than the J&M i.e. radar detector, seperate rider and passenger cell phones, seperate music sources, FRS, Auto Volume and Auto Vox controls, and more input options. The CB and the FRS use the same lead so you are limited to one radio at a time.

One limitation in this system is the CB must be operated on batteries but it does have FRS\GMRS bike powered capabilaty. Kieth

If you wanted to spend a little less the Logic system would be $150.00 Less.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Actually, with the J&M setup, you can have the CB AND FRS setup and not have to worry about batteries for the CB portion.

Not saying yours is better or worse, just pointing out the differences.

OP
OP
Tankereng

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #

On What lead and what location did you put it.
I clipped it onto the lead from the control unit just before where it plugs into the Headset cord / Integrator unit lead... That plug sits on top of the frame rail just about the the same position as the left ignition coil on my STeed

I've attached the J&M Diagram with a note on the Location of the clip on ferrite core...

Attachments

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #

I clipped it onto the lead from the control unit just before where it plugs into the Headset cord / Integrator unit lead... That plug sits on top of the frame rail just about the the same position as the left ignition coil on my STeed

I've attached the J&M Diagram with a note on the Location of the clip on ferrite core...
Great, I will get on for my Wee install as there is just a slight bit on whine.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

How can you have FRS? Is there a way to cable one into the J&M? How would the PTT work in that case, or would it be VOX only?
There's a harness that plugs into the FRS and that plugs into the J&M integration cable... a separate PTT switch is needed and will attach to the handlebar.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Top Bottom