Article Setting up a new J&M CB/Intercom system

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Re: Setting up a new J&M CB/Intercom system...

You all are talking FRS radios, I have a Chatterbox FRS and would like to integrate that to my J&M system or be able to use the J&M headset with the Chatterbox radio. I have tried to find out the pin outs so I could make an adapter but nether company wants to talk about the other. Any ideas. Thanks.

Bike
2014 FJR 1300 ES

Just received my CB stuff today. I used the supplier suggested by Okmurdog--- Vail Motors. Got the solo CB-2003, the mounting bracket. 629 headset and lower cord,the J&M antenna,the BO3-CFRG-D integrator and the Zumo cradle harness for $854. That included the $10.00 freight. It was shipped Tuesday the 17th and got here today the 19th. Vail Motors is only two blocks from J&M, so if they need something they don't have in stock, they just run down the street and pick it up.
You guys in the market for a CB might check them out.

OP
OP
Tankereng

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #

Ok sports fans.... Here's the Ride report...

Conditions.....
Mountains, Valleys, straight roads, twisties, rain, hail, high wind, no wind...

Speeds....
Crawling through construction zones to higways speed of 70+, and frequent long runs at well....higher than 80+ (Speed limit on I-10 in west Texas...)

I'm happy to report that the audio was great :headbang: I wore triple flange molded earplugs or faom earplugs at various points throughout my 5,000+ mile road trip to Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Arizona, and Texas....

CB Performance was very good though range varied with terrain....but range was always at least 1 mile with good results.... did find out that the connections are sensitive to water but return to normal once the moisture was blown off the plug...

Bike
2008 ST1300a
STOC #

Tankereng, I have the same setup, I was wondering where you mounted the two black boxes, and where you routed the all the cables from ? If anyone who has installed the J & M setup has any pictures of the installed components that would be greatly appreciated as well.

John

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #

I have been thinking about a J&M radio for my bike, although the people I have ridden with that have this unit, are usually out of range. LOL I too would like to see pictures of the install, especially a photo of the control unit, looking straight down from above it. I have some farkles on the left bar that I may have to re mount.

OP
OP
Tankereng

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #

I have been thinking about a J&M radio for my bike, although the people I have ridden with that have this unit, are usually out of range. LOL I too would like to see pictures of the install, especially a photo of the control unit, looking straight down from above it. I have some farkles on the left bar that I may have to re mount.
I'll get a photo after work... Mellow has a round plate that offseets his control unit to the right so he can see his left mirror...as long as I don't slouch, I don't have a problem seeing it...although it makes hitting my grip heater and hazard light switches difficult to use....

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #

Thanks Khris!

Bike
05'ST1300
STOC #

Ok now my head is spinning.
My question is I dont run the zumo just the nuvi 765t.Do I need the intergrator to hear its comands and my music or will the plug that comes with the 2003 unit work?
Right now i just plug my ear buds into the nuvi and I get music and comands.
Not to worried about the phone.
Where do I find these ferrite cores?

Mellow do you still have the adaper to hook up the ear buds?
If so you intrested in selling it?

Ok thats it for questions as of now.:)
Thank's all.
Sean

Bike
2014 FJR 1300 ES

Sean, I found if you get the cables and boxes in the right places, you won't need the ferrite cores. If you have to have them, Radio Shack #273-105 will work.

Bike
GL1800/ST1300A
STOC #

Sean, I found if you get the cables and boxes in the right places, you won't need the ferrite cores. If you have to have them, Radio Shack #273-105 will work.
I'm having some ignition noise with my CB. The STealer installed it as part of my negotiations for purchase. Where are you running your cables/boxes so that you don't get the noise. Pictures would be great!!

Scott

OP
OP
Tankereng

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #

Ok now my head is spinning.
My question is I dont run the zumo just the nuvi 765t.Do I need the intergrator to hear its comands and my music or will the plug that comes with the 2003 unit work?
Right now i just plug my ear buds into the nuvi and I get music and comands.
Not to worried about the phone.
Where do I find these ferrite cores?

Mellow do you still have the adaper to hook up the ear buds?
If so you intrested in selling it?

Ok thats it for questions as of now.:)
Thank's all.
Sean
The J&M comes with a standard aux input wire... That should work. I have the one that came with mine... never used it since i bought the zumo integrator to use in its place.

Bike
2014 FJR 1300 ES

Scott, the two boxes are under the upper cowl, one either side, ziptied to the tubing substructure. The J&M supplied suppressor is inside the frame, just aft of the battery. All the front to rear wiring is inside the frame. My first install attempt ended with alternator noise and ignition noise. On the second attempt I removed all the tupperware (ALL) and did the install as described above. Also made sure the antenna mount and wiring was as perfect as I could get it. No suppressors and no noise. The tech at J&M told me it could be done without suppressors, and he was right.
Hope you understand about not having any pictures. I didn't take any while doing the install and it's a long way back in there.

Bike
GL1800/ST1300A
STOC #

Scott, the two boxes are under the upper cowl, one either side, ziptied to the tubing substructure. The J&M supplied suppressor is inside the frame, just aft of the battery. All the front to rear wiring is inside the frame. My first install attempt ended with alternator noise and ignition noise. On the second attempt I removed all the tupperware (ALL) and did the install as described above. Also made sure the antenna mount and wiring was as perfect as I could get it. No suppressors and no noise. The tech at J&M told me it could be done without suppressors, and he was right.
Hope you understand about not having any pictures. I didn't take any while doing the install and it's a long way back in there.
I've attached a photo of my recently changed installation. I moved all the wires to the right side of the bike. Notice the noise filter is in the middle. Is it suggested that I move the filter to the back of the bike? I did notice a drop in noise/static by moving the wires to the right side of the bike. Unfortunately, I can't test ride the change due to ice/snow from the recent "Monster Storm" that passed through NW Arkansas.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

Bike
2014 FJR 1300 ES
riderguy57- I did the crossover wiring (from the control head to the right side of the bike) at the steering head. The power lead goes inside the frame at the steering head bearing sleeve (around the outside the sleeve),then between the tank and frame. All the wiring is attached tight to the frame all the way to the antenna mount. The antenna coax also runs with this wiring. The filter is mounted just aft of the battery, inside the frame. The wiring to the various other boxes is under the upper cowl, some on the left ,some on the right.
I made sure the antenna ground was good,( scraping paint etc.) and checked it with an ohm meter. All the connector plugs and other connections were treated with dielectric grease. The antenna connection to the control head is at the bottom of the upper cowl between the forks. Its accessable from the bottom of the cowl for SWR meter connection.
After removing the cowls, (all on the right and the upper) this is pretty easy to do. Good luck....

Deleted member 1854

I have had the J&M CB since 2004, with both my Zumo 550 and Honda radio wired into the Aux input. The 27meg (CB) band is no longer in much use in Australia (but I still communicate with my Goldwing mates on their CBs). Many touring riders here have switched to UHF, so I have purchased a Uniden UH076SX hand-held 2-way that I want to integrate.

So I have ordered the J&M harness for the Zumo that also allows the Motorola T-series FRS 2-way. This way the Zumo will be properly connected to the J&M system (rather than sound simply spliced in) and I'll have a J&M Push-To-Talk capability for the accessory UHF radio. However the question is:

If I replace the Motorola plug with the Uniden 'speaker-mic' plug, will the Uniden 2-way be integrated into the J&M sucessfully? I guess I will soon find out :confused:

Anyone had a go at this sort of mod?

Attachments

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
I have had the J&M CB since 2004, with both my Zumo 550 and Honda radio wired into the Aux input. The 27meg (CB) band is no longer in much use in Australia (but I still communicate with my Goldwing mates on their CBs). Many touring riders here have switched to UHF, so I have purchased a Uniden UH076SX hand-held 2-way that I want to integrate.

So I have ordered the J&M harness for the Zumo that also allows the Motorola T-series FRS 2-way. This way the Zumo will be properly connected to the J&M system (rather than sound simply spliced in) and I'll have a J&M Push-To-Talk capability for the accessory UHF radio. However the question is:

If I replace the Motorola plug with the Uniden 'speaker-mic' plug, will the Uniden 2-way be integrated into the J&M sucessfully? I guess I will soon find out :confused:

Anyone had a go at this sort of mod?
I have the integrator harness to fully integrate the Zumo. However, I don't have a separate radio (apart from the J&M). From what I understand, the separate radio harness would integrate the modulating and receive audio to the helmet, along with a separate PTT button (for you to mount in a convenient location). I believe the audio from the J&M would still take precedence if you had it on, and the squelch threshold was overcome.

Top Bottom