Dunlop Roadsmart Sportmax blister

Bike
2004 st1300
Riding down PCH yesterday at a slow pace enjoying the cool weather and the nearby ocean breeze. Slowed down going into San Clemente and when I got to about 5 MPH approaching a stop light, the front started bouncing up and down at regular intervals.

Parked the bike and found a "blister" sticking out along the center line of the front tire. The damn thing measures @ 1" high x 2" wide X 12" long!

I hate to think what would have happened if this had occurred at high speed like on last week-ends run to Big Bear.

TPMS read 45.5psi at the time. 46.5psi rear. Front was @ 41.5psi, rear @ 42psi when I left the garage.

I dropped the pressure to 32psi and limped home.

@ 6000 miles on this tire with plenty of meat left. I took some pictures with my cell phone, I'll see if I can figure out how to insert them later. right now I'm going to take the Harley fro a ride up the coast.

Attachments

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Considering the hand full of riders here who have experienced this, I am amazed that Dunlop's doors are still open. Junk!

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
No kidding! Talk about a safety issue! How long before someone gets hurt from these tires????

Bike
2007 ST1300
I've hated every set of Dunflops I've ever owned. And I'm not a fan of Bridgestone either after I tried a set of 021s.

I just put the Michelin PR2s on the ST.

I just replaced my front Roadsmart. I really liked the tire. Handled great and I got 12K miles out of it (I've been running Z6's and getting 8-9K). But with all the defects being reported I won't be putting on another.

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Wow.......think I'll stick to the Bridgestones. LONG ago I had a Sportmax that developed a hop on my old CBR.........no Dunlops for me thanks. :( :(

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Wow, glad you found the tire failure before it led to a much bigger problem!

I speculate that once a delamination occurs, the blister grows very quickly. There's a lot of shear force put into the tire through the tread in cornering and braking, and I'd think a blemish once started would grow quickly. JMO.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Welcome to the club (https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71141); sorry you got in...

People should make their own choices, but the frequency of these defects suggests something more than just random failures. Dunlop doesn't seem to care. Their response to me was something along the lines of "see your dealer to find out if they'll warranty it." Forget the fact that I had to haul my bike sixty miles home, and could have been injured.

My dealer made good on the tire, but I don't think Dunlop ever reimbursed him.

I'm running Bridgestone 023s on the ST1300 now. When the OEM Dunlops on the KLR wear out, I'll be looking at other options. Screw these people - they've seen the last of my business.

Byron

STOC #
I'm wondering if something changed in the manufacturing process. I ran through a couple sets of them with no issues but only got 5K - 6K out of them. Maybe if they are on the road more like the mileage you have is when the problem pops up. I'd contact Dunlop and see about a refund or new tire.

Bike
05 ST1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
About a year ago I had to remove a front Roadsmart tire for the exact same condition. I had already put 6k on the tire so I got nothing for warranty or reimbursement. The rear Roadsmart made it to 12k without any events. I've changed to Avon Storms and like the handling and wear.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I did file a complaint with NHTSA. Got nothing back except an acknowledgment of the filing. I suppose they need a bunch of them to get their attention.
Here's the link:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
I agree.. everyone that has had this issue needs to do that.. .otherwise, it's probably viewed as a very low percentage incident. Bravo

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
Wow ,that is scary ! I cannot believe Dunlop has not recalled these tires or at least pull them off the market ! Unbelievable !

:slv13: MIKE

OP
OP
Bike
2004 st1300
I did file a complaint with NHTSA. Got nothing back except an acknowledgment of the filing. I suppose they need a bunch of them to get their attention.
Here's the link:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
Thanks for the site. I just submitted the complaint.

I'm awfully glad it didn't occur on the Big Bear Ride last week-end-coulda been tragic. In retrospect, I started hearing a "noise" in the corners-similar to what my Fat Bob had before I replaced the rear tire. Just thought it was a tire wear growl.

Tim at 2 bros says Dunlop doesn't even want to look at the tire. whuuudathunk?

Bike
08 ST1300A
Glad you found the defect before something tragic happened!!!!!!

I've got a set of Roadsmarts on my ST1300 at the moment. Until now I've been quite happy with the way Roadsmarts perform. Even though I've still got about 65% life left in the rear I'm getting rid of them ASAP!

This problem just seems to be occurring way to often for me or my wife to feel safe on these tyres. I can't believe Dunlop isn't taking more of an interest in this matter!!!!!!

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
Hey guys a little input. I have personally hammered Dunlop on this problem. I have sent pictures. I have spoke with CS on the phone and reps face to face. It's like they cover thier ears and go LALALALALALALALA! Not sure whats going on but I think they will not admit to the problem. I'm now trying to see if they would like to see dox's tire but have not heard anything yet.

FYI

Bike
2007 ST
STOC #
Same thing just happened to me while traveling across northeast Ohio. i just road from San Diego to San Antonio and am on my way to Rochester. My travels will take me back to San Diego.

This blister could have popped at some high speeds but forunately I felt it first. Only one shop in the area has a tire that fits and yes - it is a Dunlop. I suppose this falls into the beggars can't be choosy category but I will replace the tire at my first convenience.

Top Bottom