FI light indicator

Hi guys,

Can anyone enlighten me on the error codes for the FI indicator? I just got my 2003 STX1300A last week. I noticed that my FI indicator light up If i cruise above 4K RPM or if I drag my bike above 4k RPM. The previous owner says that its common for older STX. Also what is the knock sensor? what dose it do? :03biker:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Checking the codes is easy: CLICKY. Post what you get and one of us will look the codes up. Having the FI indicator go on under the conditions you describe is not common and indicates a problem.

To answer your other question: The knock sensors are a pair of sensors that listen for early detonation of the fuel. This is commonly called "knocking" or "pinging" because of what it sounds like from the outside. The ECM uses the information to retard the spark timing a bit so that if the fuel is going to burn, it all happens at once. Some owners have had problems with the sensor wire melting near the engine block or at the sensor itself. This will eventually cause the ECM to throw a fault.

--Mark

OP
OP
Hi Bros,

Thanks for the informations. By the way my FI indicator did not blink, it just light up all the way when i cruise above 4k rpm. :03biker:

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Blinking is what you get when you read the codes out of the ECM. During normal operation, it just goes on while there's a problem.

--Mark

OP
OP
Blinking is what you get when you read the codes out of the ECM. During normal operation, it just goes on while there's a problem.

--Mark
So am i right to say that the if the ECM reads an error, the FI indicator will start blinking once you on the ignition.:03biker:

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
What he is saying is you use a paper clip to jumper the wires. When you do this the FI light will blink out a code. You make note of the code and reference it to what the fault is.

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Come to think of it, I think the FI light will blink out the codes in neutral with the side stand down, too.

--Mark

OP
OP
What he is saying is you use a paper clip to jumper the wires. When you do this the FI light will blink out a code. You make note of the code and reference it to what the fault is.
Sorry bro,

Care to explain more?? I'm a noob to STX

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I think someone here reported this behavior where the FI light would illuminate only a certain speeds and RPM. It was eventually traced to a bad knock sensor sub-harness.

Bike
2010 ST1300
2-3 weeks ago I started the ST and the FI light stayed on for about city block. Bike was hard to start. Had to roll the throttle while engaging starter. I pulled over while the light was on and turned off the bike and restarted. Light extinguished like normal. Made about a mile and bike died. Returned it to the barn. I dosed the tank with Heat for the next 2 fills. Last night leaving work same experience with the light staying on. Hit the kill switch while rolling and restarted. Bike ran rough and hesitated while accelerating. Dosed with Heat this morning. I do not think that dosing with heat will resolve this. Could use some ideas.

Last edited:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
You're shooting in the dark without pulling the error codes. The method is described in this thread above. Kinda sounds like a plugged up 5-way T which will cause a MAP sensor error.

Top Bottom