First Impressions on Shinko 009 Raven rear tire

NCrider

Andrew Seawell
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
All I have run on my ST rear is the stock BT021's because let's face it I'm cheap. So I thought I would try the Shinko since I have heard nothing but good reviews on them.

First 200 miles or so and they seem to be a fine tire, can't really tell much difference than the stock tire. If anything they turn in better but going from a worn out tire to a new tire that always happens.

Let's just wait and see how it holds up.

OP
OP
NCrider

NCrider

Andrew Seawell
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
Couple questions:

(1) Where'd ya get 'em?
(2) How much were they?
(3) Any issues with the install?

Andy
(1) eBay from Pinwall Cycle Parts
(2) $87.49 free shipping (arrived in 3 days)
(3) No, went the same as always (I let the local Honda dealer put it on the wheel, I take off the wheel and carry it to them.)

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I have not checked but I bet our friend Tim could get them too.

Bike
Honda ST1300
I tried a rear Shinko last year. The tread is flatter than any other tire I have tried and it worried me that I used every bit of the edge of the tread. That said, I had no problems with the tire, but only got 6500 miles from it while I get 10,000 from a Metzler 880, so there was no real cost savings.

I've just had a Shinko Raven fitted to my rear wheel.

Once I get my fork seal fixed I'll report back about the tire.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Thanks for the link!

At $87 SHIPPED for a rear tire I couldn't resist! Just ordered one. It will go on with the 020 front since it has lots of life left.

2,000 miles later I can say that the Raven works very well. Rolls very nicely from a hard right to a hard left with no hesitation.

I have lowered footpegs and can still feel just as comfortable scraping the feeler bolt underneath (my training wheels) as I did with a Metzler or Bridgestone.

No wet riding experience yet.

Update Dec 4, 2010.

Rode in the rain. Raven handled as well as any other tire I've used.

Update June 28th, 2011

Just over 5,000 miles on the Raven and the tire works great in all conditions (well apart from muddy forest roads?

Another update.

The rear Raven is toast. It's down to / below the wear bars in the center of the tire.

Total mileage about 5,900 miles. As usual the last bit of tread looks like it could last a 1,000 miles and with a blink of the eye it was gone.

Cost with instalaltion was $125

I used Metzler ME 880 for the past 50,000 miles and they've averaged about 7,000 miles.

Cost with installation $246

Both costs include me removing the wheel and taking it to the tire guy.

I have the time to do this and prefer it so I can clean the wheel, exhaust pipes and amke sure everything get correctly cleaned and greased up etc etc.

I'm waiting for another Shink Raven to be delivered. I have no qualms about using this brand.

I have used the 705 on my KLR and now use the 244.

ps

At nearly 83,000 miles the splines look factory new.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I had the rear Raven bald at 5k miles, now I 'm at 5600 miles and still no cord! I've had tires that as soon as they are bald you see cord and others like this Raven and the 'stone 020 that have tons of rubber till cord. The Raven handles great right to peg dragging (no lowered pegs for me) with a Shinko Verge on the front. Have a rear Verge standing by next. I'm worried it will wear faster than the Raven since it has a rounder profile.

For the record the longest mileage rear I've used to date is the OEM 020, 7700 miles till cord.

I too am $$$ strapped. I figure the cost per mile with my tires and doubt a rear Michelin or Avon would get 9 to 10 K miles for me to even out their Much higher cost. Must keep it at 1 and a half cents a mile or so.

I have some Shinko Verges waiting to go on as well. Supposedly they should be longer lasting than the raven. If they get 10,000kms that is what I get from Z6s etc etc, but given the price difference I could live with a bit less. Current Avon Ultra 2s look like a 13,000 kms tyre. BTW, just to make you feel better, Avons fitted to loose wheels at my local dealer is around A$530.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Just replaced the Raven Rear, just short of 6k miles till cord showed. Just put on Verge rear and it's much more rounded than Raven was new. Hope it gets more mileage than Raven. Even if not, it was a great value and handles just fine to peg dragging.

BTW you can do a standing donut with the ST and its CBS. Once I saw cord on the Raven I tried it.

Top Bottom