Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ST1100 - Fuel Pump Replacement

Bike
    '10 Spyder RT-S
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

ST1100 - Fuel Pump Replacement

It was a breeze. I used an Airtex E8371 pump and a Carter STS-8 screen. Cost: around 70 bucks for both.

There is a vent hose that connects to the stock pump. You will see it as soon as you lift the pump up. There is no clamp, just gently pry it off with a screw driver. (no pic of that..forgot the camera for the first 10 minutes)

Photo#1 is the old pump. I made sure to leave plenty of wire to reconnect to if needed. The rubber sleeve needs to be reused. I found that rolling it off the old pump worked better than trying to stretch it off, less chance of tearing.

#2 is the stock rubber mount and the one that comes with the new pump. You will need both.

#3 is the pump with both rubbers installed. If you notice at the bottom edge the rubber has a rather large "notch" This goes on the bottom where the pump sits on the bracket. I reused the stock gas line because it was of a different type of matieral as the new stuff I bought, and I m guestimating the old line is meant for being immersed in fuel. I originally had the inlet and outlet of the pump towards the bottom to utilize more of the fuel, but I turned it so the connections were on top so I could use the old gas line.

#4 is with the pump installed. Make sure to get the positive wire(blue) to the + side of the pump. The pump came with crimp on connections,nuts and washers, which I used. I am allergic to the act of soldering.

#5 Completed ready to install. The nuts are 1/4" Like I mentioned before, I left the wires long, in case I want to reinstall the old pump.

I made sure it ran before bolting back in. After installation was complete, I jumped the pump again and let it squirt into a container. It seemed to have more pressure or volume than the old pump. I started it and let it idle, under the assumption that a leak will occur while idling,since it is using the least fuel. I didnt smell or see any leaks, but I was desensitized from the smell, so I will take it for a ride tonite and report back.

Heres a link to the instructions I folllowed, it explains the vent hose I forgot to get a pic of.
    http://www.berrysweb.com/1500_fuel_pump.htm

All in all, a simple..hopefully permanent fix for the "hot fuel pump seizure syndrome".
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. › Site Search for: ST1100 - Fuel Pump Replacement
    Bike
    04 GL 1800
    Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Re: ST1100 fuel pump replacement

Cool, I have had the heat issue with my 97. I have picked up a Facet external pump that I had planned to use. I was going to just draw through the OEM pump. I sure like the looks of this tho. I may have to reconsider my options. Good post.
    STOC # 7910
    IBA#55039
    R.I.P. B. Donaldson

Click "My Photos" to view

SpongeBob Ogler
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    '10 Spyder RT-S
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmak96 View Post
    Cool, I have had the heat issue with my 97. I have picked up a Facet external pump that I had planned to use. I was going to just draw through the OEM pump. I sure like the looks of this tho. I may have to reconsider my options. Good post.
    I seriously thought about doing the same thing as you with an inline pump, but didn't feel like finding a place to mount it and then have to mess with the wiring.

What is cool about an external pump is you can find one with the correct flow rate (low) and psi.

Bike
    04 GL 1800
    Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Yep, the Facet I got is 2-3lbs I think. I will prolly go ahead and use it since I have it. I thought I would mount it where the vac. shutt off was. Good to know there is an in tank option too.

Bike
    ST1100(s)
    2014 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

DRABOO- Good solution! I'll be interested as to how it works over the long haul.

97 ST1100 STD +137,000 / 02 ST1100 ABS +95,000/ 97 ST1100 ABS +51,000
    www.UnclePhil.us

"There's more to leading than being in front." - Uncle Phil

Bike
    '08 Connie C14
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

That is a nice solution, good job.

SpongeBob Ogler
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    '10 Spyder RT-S
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmak96 View Post
    Yep, the Facet I got is 2-3lbs I think. I will prolly go ahead and use it since I have it. I thought I would mount it where the vac. shut off was. Good to know there is an in tank option too.
    I don't recall how the wired are connected underneath the top of the unit that bolts to the gas tank. I was thinking maybe you could take the old pump out by disconnecting the wires on the underside and just run the length of hose with a strainer on the end of it. That way you wouldn't have the resistance of the impeller,etc that the fuel would have to squeeze past to get up to the external pump.

I noticed that the ground wire is easily disconnected,but I cannot see how the blue(hot) wire connects.

SpongeBob Ogler
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    '10 Spyder RT-S
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

OH.. and thanks for the kind words, you guys.

My Gallery

Problem encountered and hopefully solved.

I replaced my stock fuel pump with the Airtek. A quick test before installation showed a good solid stream of fuel. However, a recent ride was aborted when I had fuel starvation problems. I'll spare you all the frogging about with jumpers and electric meters, etc and get right to the answer. With the two rubber bushings around the pump (see pics above), securing the strap to hold the pump in place took some doing. I had to use pliers to get the strap ends close enough to set the securing screw, then quite a bit of torque to fasten the strap completely. This appears to have caused enough distortion in the pump case to freeze up the pump. Backing the screw off remedied the problem.

SpongeBob Ogler
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    '10 Spyder RT-S
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Re: Problem encountered and hopefully solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Powers View Post
    I replaced my stock fuel pump with the Airtek. A quick test before installation showed a good solid stream of fuel. However, a recent ride was aborted when I had fuel starvation problems. I'll spare you all the frogging about with jumpers and electric meters, etc and get right to the answer. With the two rubber bushings around the pump (see pics above), securing the strap to hold the pump in place took some doing. I had to use pliers to get the strap ends close enough to set the securing screw, then quite a bit of torque to fasten the strap completely. This appears to have caused enough distortion in the pump case to freeze up the pump. Backing the screw off remedied the problem.
    Thanks for the update,Kevin! So far, mine has been preforming flawlessly and gas mileage has been great.
    aka Brad Nicholson

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast