Article [11] ST1100 - Fuel Pump Replacement

Bike
94' 1100 ABS
Just installed the airtex on my 94'. Basically a direct replacement, Fired right up. The previous owner had quite a lot of rust in the tank, I think it failed due to contaminated fuel.

Bike
1997 ST1100
I've been running my Airtex conversion all summer now. About 2000 miles on the ST with no issues. When I did the conversion there was a lot of rust and crud in the tank. I did a full flush and EvapoRust treatment. It was easy to do with the pump and sender assemblies out of the tank. Repalced gaskets too. I also did a Kreem treatment that you can see in the pic I added in post 136. You can see the white coating. Looks real good now. You might consider doing the same over the winter R&R maintenance session. If there is still a lot of crud in there, it won't do the new pump any good.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Master-Parts-Electric-Fuel-Pump-E8023-/191669126853?fits=Year:1992|Make:Honda|Model:Prelude&hash=item2ca05ec6c5&vxp=mtr this is the brand I used ( Cross reference #) Airtek is listed as a 92 Honda prelude and there is multiple pumps to chose from $20-130 they are all the same . Some come with pump filter. It is a universal low pressure pump
Thanks! Saw them on Ebay also. Sometimes Ebay is NOT the best price. Will also check locally.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
JuST pulled an '02 ST1100 out of storage. Carbs needed cleaned and I may have burned up the fuel pump trying to get it started and/or varnish gummed it up. This lead me to dozens of threads, this being the most complete.

My addition: NAPA has a part number 610-3021 which is the Facet Posi-Flow pump and even came branded that way. Rated at 1psi-2psi at 7gph (this is the lowest rating... some sites have it rated as much as 1.5psi-2.5psi at 25gph) I thought it would be a better fit that the 40178, 40177, etc, etc. Since it is a Posi-Flow it is rounder than the Cube and should fit easier as well. It is about $70 - $80 at the time of my purchase through NAPA. It can be had for a bit less online, but I wasn't willing to wait for the little savings once shipping was added to their lower price.

The Facet Posi-Flow page here: http://www.facet-purolator.com/cross-reference-guide.php shows it as the 60304, rated on the Facet site as 1psi-2psi 15gph with a 50" wet lift.

I am planning to abandon the OEM in-tank pump and replace the shut-off with this external pump. I will post pictures once I get a bracket fabricated, but thought I would let others know. 'Tis starting to be the riding season in the Pacific Northwest.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
1997 ST 1100
STOC #
Re: ST1100 - Fuel Pump revisited

Building on Al's idea of using the factory regulator, I decided I was too anal retentive to shorten the hoses and I wanted everything to remain as factory as possible as far as the placement of the regulator. The outlet side of the pump sure looked about the size of a 1/8" pipe I had just tapped in the regulator. So I grabbed the die from my kit and tried... I was happy to discover it worked perfectly and I was able to install by threading the regulator directly to the pump, as the factory fits.
At the time I was not an approved member and could not see pictures yet, so I was reading Al's description (multiple times) and hoping for the best. I also was not able to disassemble the regulator and remove the check valve, which means I had to sacrifice my tap an remove the lead-in threads so it was a bottoming tap (I can buy a new tap when stores open). Thank you for the insight on how to do this, a fuel pump is stupid expensive!
Hope others find this helpful

Attachments

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional pics and details! Doing this myself this weekend this thread has been very helpful. I haven't split the regulator and pulled the check valve anyways. Haven't found a definitive answer if it's necessary or not...?

Bike
Custom ST1100
Final update. I burned out two airtex pumps and installed the facet as a last resort. I realized after missing out on all those miles I should've just bought the oem. So I did. 360 bucks from service honda. Sure would like to have the time back so I could go ride, but....live and learn. Gotta try to wrench and all that so it wasn't a total loss, but just want others to know if it helps them to make a decision on their own project if it arises.
back to work.
hey quick question, how do you know if your fuel pump is bad or not? my pump puts out gas but my bike starts and runs and drives but if i close the choke the bike slowly starts yo die then shuts off. is that a bad fuel pump problem or a carb idle jet problem? they bike also stays running if i turn off the pump and give it little gas. noe i did shake the tank around before and banged the pump around on accident so maybe it banged the pump to hard?

Bike
2000 ST1100
To me something isn't quite right here. You say you have to turn a switch to get the fuel pump to run.....I don't have to do that to mine. So is that a jury rigged pump/set up you got? Has your bike sat still for a few years while full of gasoline? If it is the carbs and you have to repair them do you have the skill? On my bike repairs I know when to hold em and fold em. If its the carbs with the needles and floats and jets and passageways I think it would be folding em. Try to get yourself a good independent motorcycle mechanic who can do carb work because a Honda dealer would probably charge you big coin to do the job.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400

Building on Al's idea of using the factory regulator, I decided I was too anal retentive to shorten the hoses and I wanted everything to remain as factory as possible as far as the placement of the regulator. The outlet side of the pump sure looked about the size of a 1/8" pipe I had just tapped in the regulator. So I grabbed the die from my kit and tried... I was happy to discover it worked perfectly and I was able to install by threading the regulator directly to the pump, as the factory fits.
At the time I was not an approved member and could not see pictures yet, so I was reading Al's description (multiple times) and hoping for the best. I also was not able to disassemble the regulator and remove the check valve, which means I had to sacrifice my tap an remove the lead-in threads so it was a bottoming tap (I can buy a new tap when stores open). Thank you for the insight on how to do this, a fuel pump is stupid expensive!
Howdy Jason, welcome to the forum.
Thanx for the pics.
Glad you found a fix.

Last edited:
Bike
R1200rt
take the fuel hose off get another hose and put it on the top of the tank, hot wire power to the pump. Pump it back into the fuel fill. let it run, should have a steady stream of fuel.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
To me something isn't quite right here. You say you have to turn a switch to get the fuel pump to run.....I don't have to do that to mine. So is that a jury rigged pump/set up you got? Has your bike sat still for a few years while full of gasoline? If it is the carbs and you have to repair them do you have the skill? On my bike repairs I know when to hold em and fold em. If its the carbs with the needles and floats and jets and passageways I think it would be folding em. Try to get yourself a good independent motorcycle mechanic who can do carb work because a Honda dealer would probably charge you big coin to do the job.
I agree with this as to the the carb jets, Also, if you don't have the requisite skills seek out a local mechanic or possibly an ST-owners member in your area.

Bike
R1200rt

nice!!! :wave1:

Bike
Custom ST1100
Yes I have removed the fuel cut off relay and have a toggle switch set up to my fuel pump. I think have the skill to remove the carb I recently taught myself how to remove, inspect and repair and carb on a YZF600r so I think I will go with the carb cleaning first because when I bought the bike he said it was sitting for awhile but he stared it up and drive it down the block before I bought it.

Bike
1997 ST 1100
STOC #
Thanks for the additional pics and details! Doing this myself this weekend this thread has been very helpful. I haven't split the regulator and pulled the check valve anyways. Haven't found a definitive answer if it's necessary or not...?
mine seems to be running fine with the check valve left in. I am not a constant use rider, but I can say I do tax the fuel delivery system when I do ride, and have no issues yet.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I hate to revive old threads, but this one seems to have a good bit of information, and I'm wondering if anyone has anything more long-term to relate for experience with the aftermarket fuel pump hack. My '96 pump did the die/come back to life thing in Utah last month, so I replaced it with a new unit from Honda, but I wanted to see what I could do to the old unit copying some of the ideas in this thread.

So I took apart the old pump, and broke out the 1/8" pipe tap and die to join the Quantum pump and the factory regulator and got this:

51320639843_b305bfb6d1_c.jpg

The motor seems to turn in the correct direction, so I'll probably install it on my '97 project and do some testing fairly soon. I should probably change out the hoses, but they seem to be in good enough shape for at least the testing phase.

Thoughts?

Gae

What a great post ! Many thanks !
Even if it is "old" it is still actual.

There is just one question who hasen't been answered ... What is the breather hose for ???
I put it the other way: With the original pump what would happen if I don't install the (thick) hose ??

I also have issues with my fuel pump, it work, it does't work ... and will probably get a mint conditions original pump for 100€, seeing a pump on the Internet can get to 60-70€ + shipping: I'll probably save money ...

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The thing you have to be careful of on aftermarket fuel pumps is too much pressure though they say they are 'speced' for the ST1100. You will need a pressure regular either off the original or an inline one if you go aftermarket. I'm 'aftermarket' on one of my four with a regulator and it works fine.

Top Bottom