Half Cover Question

TwoBrittanys

aka itsbent
Bike
'04 ST1300ABS
I don't know. Seems all one would need is a seat cover. The ST is already covered. In plastic. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Posted via Mobile Device

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I carry a Dowco Guardian Ultralite. It is an XL full cover and will fit over a topcase. It's nice to have a cover, half or full, to keep the dew off (and sun if needed).

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I have the UV2000 I think it too is an XL and it does fit over the top box. Packs into a fanny pack which they ship it in.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I figure if I'm going to cover the bike I may as well cover it all so I have a $25 Dowco XL that does the whole shebang. Packs in a stuffsack a bit larger than a softball. Nice for out-of-sight, out-of-mind at motels, nice to keep off sap and droppings from trees at camp. Half covers are nice if your short on space.

EDIT: I guess you get what you pay for, or don't pay for. This cover no longer keeps water out. Even dew seeps through. Out of warranty and the manufacturer was not interested in refund or replacement.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have the Nelson Rigg UV2000 XL cover also. I love it except that when I replaced my old one with a new one, the new one was leaving silver stuff on the paint (on the fairling and saddlebags) and the air deflectors. (I was using my first cover on my V65 Sabre previously, so by the time I started using it on the ST1300, is was already broken it.)

Someone had already contacted the co. about that and they were able to get them to resew the cover so it was rolled up differently so it wouldn't do that. I contacted them too, but decided my wife could do a better job. And after waiting about 6 months for the wife, I finally got her to do it and she put some heavy duty material about one inch all the way around. No more silver stuff on the paint. Which BTW, was a pain to get off the paint and even harder to get off the air deflectors (still have on them to this day)! :eek:4:

I have the UV2000 and don't have any silver particles on the bike. Is it a newish cover? I have an XL and it fits covering a 70L top case and extra large shield. It just barely covers the saddlebags too.

Oh, this is on a Concours, same size as the ST though.

I have a size M cover I use on my Hawk GT, thats an older one and is no longer waterproof. I know because I had a magnetic parts tray on the gas tank under the cover, when I would pull the cover off to work on the bike the parts tray was always full of water.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Just a thought for putting in the 'whatever' file - I have a Givi stretch cover that I thought I had overpaid for when I kept discovering a wet seat under the cover . . . rain, dew everything seemed to get through.

Some experimenting, however, proved the cover was fine (I could pour water on it and nothing leaked), it was just condensation under the cover that was causing the wet seat. Now I just put a small towel on the seat and the problem's gone.

Shuey

PS: Maybe Scotch Guard the $25 Dowco for a few more years of life?

PS: Maybe Scotch Guard the $25 Dowco for a few more years of life?
If you're going to go that route here is another option. Go to home depot\lowes\local hardware store and get that liquid treatment for wood. Like what you would put on the wood on your porch. I forget the name. We did this to the rainflies on a few $10 tents. (do not do this to the whole tent, or you will suffocate in it, or just remember to keep some vents open)

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Here is a link to my post about the problems I had with the nelson riggs half cover. Linky I still get some silver on the bike in windy conditions, even after they modified it. I would recommend some other cover. They have great customer service and possibly it was just a bad batch of silver coating they were using at the time. But if I were buying another cover it would be a different brand.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I don't see the point of a half cover. I use covers mostly to protect the paint from the sun when parked outside. The half cover designs I've seen leave the painted front fender exposed. On a red bike, like my previous '93 and current '05, the fender would fade until it no longer matched the rest of the bike. Maybe this is less an issue with different colors? I use the cheapo ones ($20-$25) I can find at Wally world or Target. They last a couple of years before I just replace them.

Bike
ST 1300
Looking at Nelson Riggs UV2000 1/2 cover as well. Wondering if the large would fit, without top box on? I have a GIVI top box, but take it in whenever I travel. Any info helpful.
thanks, scribcrea

Bike
2007 ST1300
Used mine daily at work before I retired. Easy to put on and easy to get off and doesn't take up much room when not being used.
+1 (except for the retired part :mad:) Works well for me, easy to use and store. So far holding up well to the Texas heat 1yr old.

Top Bottom