Symtech Heaters and BMW Grips anyone?

Bike
2007 ST1300A6
Hi, I have a set of Symtech grip heaters and a set of BMW grips that I haven't used from previous unused purchases.

I'm picking up an '07 model ST1300 on Friday to replace my current model ST1300. The newer model doesn't have heated grips, so it's a toss-up between spending almost ?300.00 on Honda heated grips and a quadra harness or fitting the Symtechs and BMW grips that I already have.

Has anyone here used this combination? Do the BMW grips allow enough heat through? If you have Symtechs, how did you connect them? Is it worth buying the quadra harness to make life easier? I want to connect my ZUMO 550 too, so maybe the quadra is the way to go?

Thanks in advance for your help.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have Symtechs under stock grips and if I recall correctly they are fused with a 5 amp fuse. I think the Honda quartet harness has a 2 amp fuse but I could be wrong. I used Symtech directions and ran a dedicated 12 v supply to the switch in the right hand fairing pocket.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
The symtec's are wired in parallel the honda elements are wired in series.
iirc both draw the same current I think 3amps.
I put in a separate acc fuse panel to run the gps, comm, grips, seat heat, liner/gloves heat...
They work ok with the bmw grips maybe not as hot as the oem?
The symtec hi low switch is enough adjustment for me.

I recent post has them on top of the oem grips with tennis racket tape around them to build up the diameter.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
How is $300 vs. free in your shop a toss up??? I'd install the stuff you have already, I have the same set up and it works fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
OP
longdog_cymru
Bike
2007 ST1300A6
How is $300 vs. free in your shop a toss up??? I'd install the stuff you have already, I have the same set up and it works fine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought. By the way, it's ?300.00 over here which means just about $470.00 in your money :(

dduelin, what switch in the l/h fairing pocket? My current '04 bike doesn't have a switch in there and iirc, the '07 I'm buying doesn't have one either ???

Thanks for your replies so far, now............. Another question to all of you:

What about using a Centech or Eastern Beaver box to run the grips as a switched power supply? It's probably a better method than using the Honda quartet harness with more flexible options I think?

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
What about using a Centech or Eastern Beaver box to run the grips as a switched power supply? It's probably a better method than using the Honda quartet harness with more flexible options I think?
Centich Eastern Beaver Fuzeblock or the plane Jane ones from the autoparts store all work. Switched power will keep you from forgetting something and killing the battery. Fuzeblock gives your the option of moving the fuse to select switched or constant on power to the branch circuit.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I have the Symtech connected via a Eastern Beaver relay to the Eastern Beaver PC8 with a heat troller. I believe I purchased the heated grips from Warm-n-Safe. Lots of heat when needed and I have grip puppies and wear Honda leather gloves.

OP
OP
longdog_cymru
Bike
2007 ST1300A6
I have the Symtech connected via a Eastern Beaver relay to the Eastern Beaver PC8 with a heat troller. I believe I purchased the heated grips from Warm-n-Safe. Lots of heat when needed and I have grip puppies and wear Honda leather gloves.
This sounds like a good set-up! :bow1:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
dduelin, what switch in the l/h fairing pocket? My current '04 bike doesn't have a switch in there and iirc, the '07 I'm buying doesn't have one either ???
I installed the supplied 3 position toggle switch in the RH pocket. The same place in the LH pocket would prevent storing a bottle of water or cup of coffee there. I desired to place the switch out of the weather.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Does anyone know if BMW heated grips (the complete grip with the OEM BMW heating element not just the rubber) will fit on an ST1300? Are the throttle cable hook-ups the same on the right grip? They are the same diameter but I don't know if the throttle side would work.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Does anyone know if BMW heated grips (the complete grip with the OEM BMW heating element not just the rubber) will fit on an ST1300? Are the throttle cable hook
I installed a set of Oxford heated grips on mine last month. $89.00 and very simple to install. And boy do they work good! I ordered mine from Revzilla.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I installed Hot Grips on my ST1100 and while they heated hotter than you could ever need they were hard as rock to the point where my hands hurt. The BMW grips are known to be soft and comfortable. I have been told that the OEM BMW grips heat much hotter than the BMW grips with Symtec heaters under them. I have never seen a BMW grip off the bike so I don't know what they look like. I was wondering if the entire BMW heated grip could be installed on an ST1300.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I realize that this is an old thread. For the benefit of new members, I have been running BMW grips, just the rubber part, over Symtech membrane grip heaters for over 13 years. I personally love this setup. The grips themselves are comfortable, and the "heaters" put out more than enough warmth. I don't think I have ever even used them on the high setting. The grips I bought came with the BMW throttle sleeve installed, which will not work on the ST, but is easily removed. They are wired through the hi/low control switch to a relay that is excited by the ignition being on to a multi output fuse block.
I have the same setup on my KLR, only with ProGrips.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
That is kind of what I was wanting to know John. I was looking at a parts fiche picture and it looked like the RH BMW heated grip came with the throttle tube. I had no idea if the tube would work on the ST1300 or if it could be swapped out for the Honda tube. So if a person was to buy the complete BMW heated grips (not just the rubber) it seems like they can be installed on the ST1300?

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
So if a person was to buy the complete BMW heated grips (not just the rubber) it seems like they can be installed on the ST1300?
I do not know, I would assume so. To me it would be simpler and cheaper just to go the BMW rubber grip/Symtech heater route. You are taking a chance on the BMW heated grips not working once installed. They are bound to be expensive.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I realize that this is an old thread. For the benefit of new members, I have been running BMW grips, just the rubber part, over Symtech membrane grip heaters for over 13 years. I personally love this setup. The grips themselves are comfortable, and the "heaters" put out more than enough warmth. I don't think I have ever even used them on the high setting. The grips I bought came with the BMW throttle sleeve installed, which will not work on the ST, but is easily removed. They are wired through the hi/low control switch to a relay that is excited by the ignition being on to a multi output fuse block.
I have the same setup on my KLR, only with ProGrips.
I just bought a 2005 ST1300... been looking / researching the heated grip option... and have been leaning toward your setup. How did you set them up... are you using the quartet harness, or fused to the battery or some other fuse block? Also, where did you locate the Hi/Low switch (is it a toggle or a rocker). Thanks, just trying to figure things out before I spend a little money. :)

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Fuse block circuit.jpg
I just bought a 2005 ST1300... been looking / researching the heated grip option... and have been leaning toward your setup. How did you set them up... are you using the quartet harness, or fused to the battery or some other fuse block? Also, where did you locate the Hi/Low switch (is it a toggle or a rocker). Thanks, just trying to figure things out before I spend a little money. :)
I suggest you power your heated grips from a fuse block setup as in the attachment. The hi/low switch on mine is the big toggle with a weatherproof cover mounted under the starter switch in a small box, not ideal, but the PO had it that way and I just never changed the location. The button type switch is a cleaner install and can be mounted on the clutch side switch pod, there is a thread on the forums here somewhere about that.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I use the same Symantec/BMW Grip setup on my 05 ST. I plugged into the heated grip feed on the quartet harness. Been running it this way for 10 years now with no issues. I originally drilled a small hole in the left speaker grill and mounted a HI/LO rocker switch there. It worked fine as you don't do a lot of adjusting to the temp. Later I moved it to a control box above the clutch handle with some other switches.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Where did you grab the switched power for the relay... did you use a quick connect splitter or a blade fuse with a wire off of it?
thanks! ... Line

I suggest you power your heated grips from a fuse block setup as in the attachment. The hi/low switch on mine is the big toggle with a weatherproof cover mounted under the starter switch in a small box, not ideal, but the PO had it that way and I just never changed the location. The button type switch is a cleaner install and can be mounted on the clutch side switch pod, there is a thread on the forums here somewhere about that.

Top Bottom