Article [13] ST1300 - MCL Peg Lowering Kit

Hi Jefro. Just done the shifter adjustment, works just great. Then did the brake lever, and sure enough the brake light stays on, so thank you for telling me where to find the knurled brake light adjusting nut, that probably save me a few hours. If I lived close I'd treat you to a pint or 6.
Cheers, Bob

Bike
2005 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I had the lowering pegs for several months and found them (or my boot) scraping and that made me nervous. Switched the pegs out with some from a goldwing and have loved them ever since. They are not as low as the MC Larry pegs and not as high as the standard pegs. I am 6" 4. I also raised the seat a little and have been happy with that setup for 50K now. The Goldwing pegs are also a bit wider and I prefer that also.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Just got these added on to my bike and the lowered pegs are nice. Special thanks to BrianTess for letting me try them.

Don't think I need to adjust the brake pedal, but the shifter is going to need a spline shift one lower.

Will try lowering the seat one notch now... hopefully the legs will still be comfy, just get my overall COG down a bit. I did find that now I can't rest my feet between the drivers and passenger pegs as easily, but I can live with that. No scraping yet, with the pegs wider and lower I'm sure they will be doing that eventually.

All in all.. I like them.

Bike
st1300 2007 non ABS.
Hi, I get cramp under right hand upper leg, Im tall. Can anyone recommend which peg lower make is best buy ? The only one seems to be motorcycle larrys one which I will go for if nobody has found a better one....Money is not the issue, comfort is.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
MCL is the only option I know of, besides using the Goldwing pegs.
Fixed lowering ones work and still let the pegs fold and move when you drag 'em in the corner. The adjustable give a bit more reach.

I use the fixed lowering and the Goldwing pegs. I'm 36" inseam and it feels pretty comfy. But for long day comfot make yourself some highway pegs. The popular ones you can buy are too close for long-legged riders, imo.

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
I installed the MCL lowering driver peg last week, test drove it, decided that the brake and shifter had to be lowered as well. Followed the instruction from MCL and the info from this forum, the 2 controls are now set up.
I downloaded a lean angle iPhone app. I was leaning max 42 degrees during my normal riding before the lowering pegs. I did 44degrees lean yesterday after installing the lowering pegs, no touch down. I think I will be okay to keep using the lowering pegs, occasional touch downs don't bother me.
The lower pegs do offer me better knee comfort. A side benefit is that they help to lower the C of G of the bike & rider, making slow maneuvers easier.
Kenny

Last edited:
Bike
03 ST1300
I just bought these, installed them and here's my take after a 250 mile road trip.

The short take...

Me: 6"5'...250lbs...34" inch inseam...13 size shoe.

Seat: Russell Day Long set on the highest setting.

The Verdict: BUY IT.

If you're still reading this thread you've obviously have some type of issue with the riding position of the ST1300 in relation to your legs. I did too so I thought for $64.00 I thought I would give these a try. I'm SO happy I did. Adding these have helped tremendously. You will have to adjust the brake and shifter lever but the extra room you'll gain is a HUGE improvement over the stock pegs.

I haven't had any issues with scraping the pegs but I'm not an overly aggressive driver when it comes to curves and even if I was the ability to have more space for comfort outweighs any possible issue of scraping the pegs in the corners.

Quality of these extenders is very high and they install in probably 15 minutes.

I think these are well worth the money and - if you are experiencing the need for more room - worth trying.

Last edited:
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I just bought these, installed them and here's my take after a 250 mile road trip.

The short take...

Me: 6"5'...250lbs...34" inch inseam...13 size shoe.

Seat: Russell Day Long set on the highest setting.

The Verdict: BUY IT.

If you're still reading this thread you've obviously have some type of issue with the riding position of the ST1300 in relation to your legs. I did too so I thought for $64.00 I thought I would give these a try. I'm SO happy I did. Adding these have helped tremendously. You will have to adjust the brake and shifter lever but the extra room you'll gain is a HUGE improvement over the stock pegs.

I haven't had any issues with scraping the pegs but I'm not an overly aggressive driver when it comes to curves and even if I was the ability to have more space for comfort outweighs any possible issue of scraping the pegs in the corners.

Quality of these extenders is very high and they install in probably 15 minutes.

I think these are well worth the money and - if you are experiencing the need for more room - worth trying.
Hi All:

I totally agree. I am not as big a guy as GSMetal (I'm 6', 240) but I have a stiff right knee and I found the stock ST1300 posture was just too cramped. I was getting knee pain and even hip discomfort sometimes.

My bike has the stock seat (am I the only person on the ST Owners Forum who doesn't mind it??) and I bought it with the stock handlebar and pegs. I tried all of the seat positions but simply could not get comfortable. So, I put on the "fixed MCL peg lowering kit and the Gen III bar risers and instantaneously, the feel is completely different and far more comfortable.

Scraping the pegs has not been a problem at all. I can do it and have actually done so in a traffic circle late at night just see how far over I'd need to be to touch down - but day-to-day, I simply don't.

A key point is that the labels "fixed" and "adjustable" on the two variants of the peg lowering kits are somewhat misleading. In fact, as shown in the photos in this thread, the "fixed" peg lowering brackets actually fold like regular pegs while the "adjustable" version does not fold - and I would consider that to potentially be dangerous. The terms "fixed" and "adjustable" refer to the ability to vary the amount by which the pegs are lowered - and not how the units work once they are installed.

Anyhow - my evaluation is exactly the same as GSMetal's - BUY 'EM! I feel safer, happier and can ride for hours with no hip or knee pain. These two items (the peg lowering units and the risers) have really helped me to enjoy to the bike.

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited:
Top Bottom