ST1300 Hazard Light Question

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Is it just me or is it kind of dumb to have hazard lights on a bike that will only work when the key is in the ignition and switched on? Not that a Honda will ever break down ;) but if I was stranded on the side of the road and wanted to use my hazard lights I sure am not going to leave my keys in the bike as well. What the heck were they thinking? I haven't owned any other bikes with factory hazard lights. How do they work on other bikes?

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Yeah, I never could figure that one out either. I carry a couple of battery powered bicycle "blinky" lights in case I need any flashers. No longer than the ST battery lasts with the ignition on, I don't think it would run your 4 ways for very long anyhow?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
On the plus side, at least someone can't turn them on when you're away from your bike and kill your battery...

I do feel you should be able to put your key to the acc position and allow the key to be removed and operation of the hazzards.. that would be cool... better yet, OEM LED hazards.

Also, evertime I adjust either the headlamp or the trip meter my wrist turns on the flashers.....a fact I usually discover many miles later! :-(

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
On the plus side, at least someone can't turn them on when you're away from your bike and kill your battery...

I do feel you should be able to put your key to the acc position and allow the key to be removed and operation of the hazzards.. that would be cool... better yet, OEM LED hazards.
Yeah, I agree. In the acc position I don't think it draws that much power.

I noticed this the other day when I pulled over to have a chat with a State Trooper. No I wasn't getting a performance award. I stopped to ask about a bunch of dry sweep that was in an intersection on the Highway near where he was sitting. I flipped on the hazard lights and killed the ignition. I went back to the bike I noticed they were not on anymore. They came back on as I switched on the ignition.

So has anyone come up with a farkle for this?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yeah, I agree. In the acc position I don't think it draws that much power.

I noticed this the other day when I pulled over to have a chat with a State Trooper. No I wasn't getting a performance award. I stopped to ask about a bunch of dry sweep that was in an intersection on the Highway near where he was sitting. I flipped on the hazard lights and killed the ignition. I went back to the bike I noticed they were not on anymore. They came back on as I switched on the ignition.

So has anyone come up with a farkle for this?
It wouldn't take much to hook up some extra LEDs and a relay and switch. I have a headlight switch so I can keep the key in the ON position without the headlights sucking up all the power.. again, gotta keep the key there so might as well leave it in neutral and the bike running.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
It wouldn't take much to hook up some extra LEDs and a relay and switch. I have a headlight switch so I can keep the key in the ON position without the headlights sucking up all the power.. again, gotta keep the key there so might as well leave it in neutral and the bike running.
That is kind of what I am thinking. LEDs and trigger it with the OEM hazard light switch. If the bike is running it won't hurt to have the LED and incandescent flashers going.

I think the problem is going to be to get the LEDs to work with the reflector. Unless you just didn't bother with the normal turn signals. I wonder what kind of power dray Hyperlights have?

alan

R.I.P - 3/20/2011
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Hah, my 03 doesn't have a hazard setting, the non-ABS didn't come with them. So I don't have to worry about them! :nanner1:

Hi all. I haven't done it yet but I'm thinking about just running a jumper from a constant power to the fuse that runs the hazard lights. Or even putting a relay from a switch I have installed inside the right glove box which controls my safety strobes for when I help people. This way with the relay I can control hazards with strobes without the motorcycle on. Plus if the strobe switch is off the hazards act as if I had not done anything.

Bike
2010 ST1300
There are so many LED flashlights out there with a red flashing feature, that keeping one of these in your tool bag makes a lot of sense. When you need it, pull it out, set it to flash and tape it to the license plate or side of your top case. If you find two, even better. This way there is no question the battery for the bike will be run down.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've only used my hazard flashers once and that was while the bike was moving. I'm not sure but I think the only thing running on the ST when the key is in the ACC position is the clock illumination. I think running your strobes in that position wouldn't be any different than running them off the battery with a relay. Well other than you could control them without needing your key.

A flashlight is suitable for directing traffic especially if it has a colored cone on the front. If you want to spare your bike's battery better than a flashlight would be one of the various bicycle LED beacons/reflectors. Much easier to mount on a bike without fear of running down your battery and with a wider cast of light than a flashlight. I carry two of those in my bike.

But if you have 'safety strobes' assuming they're LED you're probably better off using those without your hazards assuming those are still incandescents. And even if everything is LED I wouldn't bother using both your strobes and hazards. The ST1300 battery doesn't have much in the way of capacity so even with LEDs you might just run yourself out of juice with too many lights a flashing.

Using your hazards (incandescent or LED) means you have four bulbs going. It might be a good idea to be able to activate only two and usually those might be the rear signals. Two instead of four of any kind of lights might make you and your battery happier.

Another risk of any/too many flashing lights on any stationary vehicle is the moth to flame effect. That usually doesn't end well.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
If you want to spare your bike's battery better than a flashlight would be one of the various bicycle LED beacons/reflectors.
Not for the bicycle, but easily packable in the ST. I received one as a door prize at WeSToc.
Gives you white LED's for floodlight and flashing red in a triangle for warning. I think $3 on sale.
Harbor Freight 39 LED flashilight/triangle.
image_24966.jpg

Top Bottom