Flashing Fuel Gauge

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I have a 2008 ST1300 that has a weird problem with the fuel gauge. When you turn the key on, the fuel gauge shows the correct amount of gas for exactly 60 seconds (I timed it). After that, it starts flashing and shows only one bar.

I brought it in to the Honda shop and they replaced the whole instrument cluster but that didn't work. Tomorrow they're putting in a new fuel pump assembly. It's under warranty so I'm not paying for this, thank goodness.

Anyone have an idea of what's going on here? Will the fuel pump solve this issue? They've had the bike for over a week and I'm really itching to ride.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have a 2008 ST1300 that has a weird problem with the fuel gauge. When you turn the key on, the fuel gauge shows the correct amount of gas for exactly 60 seconds (I timed it). After that, it starts flashing and shows only one bar.

I brought it in to the Honda shop and they replaced the whole instrument cluster but that didn't work. Tomorrow they're putting in a new fuel pump assembly. It's under warranty so I'm not paying for this, thank goodness.

Anyone have an idea of what's going on here? Will the fuel pump solve this issue? They've had the bike for over a week and I'm really itching to ride.
At 30,000 my fuel gauge started acting weird. When I finally took it to the dealer, they started replacing one thing at a time (like the fuel float, then the gauges)until they finally got it right. It was something to do with the pump.:22yikes:

jdpfms

JD Power
Bike
ST1300A&FJR1300
The fuel float is in the upper tank and could be the problem. The fuel pump also has a second fuel register for the guage to assess the lower tank (where the pump is located). My 04 recently had both of these replaced but mine just went from 3 bars down to flashing. All is well now, well I guess it is since it is 2 bars to flashing--not ideal but one bar better :D. Bet you will be OK and parts alone are $500-600 or so (pump most expensive part).

JDP

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
I think,... that above and at 2 bars is controlled by the upper float... 1 or less is the lower assembly where the pump is.

I'm surprized they changed the gauges first...but don't worry it will work out on their $.

OP
OP
TripleJ
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
The solution was the fuel pump assembly. Sadly, the dealer put a chip in my tank so now I have to deal with them to get it painted. And now my mileage is not actual mileage because the new gauge cluster reset it to zero. So I get to deal with that too! :mad:

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
The solution was the fuel pump assembly. Sadly, the dealer put a chip in my tank so now I have to deal with them to get it painted. And now my mileage is not actual mileage because the new gauge cluster reset it to zero. So I get to deal with that too! :mad:
Good 'ol Honda boys...........I'd be mad also. Hope they work it out for you.

OP
OP
TripleJ
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
After all was said and done, they gave me a free tank pad. So I touched up the chip and all is well.

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
They replaced the instrument cluster and didn't bother to wait 60 seconds to reproduce the issue?

If they DID, they should have swapped back in the original cluster.

Oh well, can't expect 'em to be smart, can ya?

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
They replaced the instrument cluster and didn't bother to wait 60 seconds to reproduce the issue?
:doh1: Maybe they get $tuck with the replacement part if it turns out not to be the issue so they left the new one in.

There's maybe a 60sec delay to allow the thermistor (thermal liquid level sensor) in the lower tank to heat up and get into it's PTC range of operation?

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
My fuel gauge just started acting up on the way home from Moonshine. It got to 3 bars as usual and then stayed there until I reached 260 miles, then jumped right to 1 flashing bar.
What do you guys think, upper float or lower thermister? Maybe a new pump too? I have the extended warranty.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Not sure if this is where I should ask my question or not. My fuel gauge starts flashing on one bar and after maybe 10 miles goes back to 2 bars. Is the gauge now reading reserve? Reads fine other wise.

Top Bottom