OP
crazykz

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
That bike is too clean Jefro. You don't have to baby it like the Harley. You can actually ride it too. :)

Curt

Bike
2005 ST1300
Re: Powerlet Install with pics

Used your measurements to install the socket...perfect fit...good article you wrote....thanks.

SoCal Rider

ride and let ride :)
Bike
2006 STeed
Re: ST1300 Powerlet Install with pics

Wow,,, very nice job on posting this. I can't wait to add some powerto the ST

THANKS!!!:bow1:

OP
OP
crazykz

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #

I'm just here to help. :)

Nice add Jefro.

Curt

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #

Hi All,

I've seen some powerlet installs and a couple things that come up in them are what is the measurements to drill the hole and does it clear the coil. Anyone that has done it knows that it does clear the coil but it isn't obvious from any of the pictures I've seen.

So in order to clear some of that up I'll publish these pictures of my install with full measurements and pictures from an angle that shows the coil clearance. I guess this would be a good article but so would about a million other things I'm doing this winter.

I've also included where I ran the wiring. It's test lead style wire that is VERY flexible even in freezing temperatures and withstands heat up to about 400 degress. I had some and decided to use it. Since I had to put in a fuse I used a posi-lock instead of soldering or using a butt splice to add it. Damn I love those things. If I want to remove it later I can. That's the great thing about them. I also got some right angled connectors for connecting to the powerlet but you can see from the clearance photo that you can use straight terminals also.

If you're looking for a good step bit set for cheap check here:
http://www.toolprice.com/product/7384A

Here's a tip for running wiring through PVC jacketing or when you need to pull wire through somewhere but space is so tight that using a looped piece of wire to pull it through isn't possible. Now you would have to get something through there like a stiff piece of wire or something but once you do get some dental floss. Tie a very small loop in the dental floss and then pull the floss back through it to make sort of a noose. Now slip the noose over the wire you ran through and pull it tight. In most cases if you keep tension on the floss it will grip tight enough to pull out your guide wire and fish the floss through. The tighter you pull on the floss the tighter it grips. Once you pull out the guide wire you'll have the floss run through there. Now get rid of the guide wire and loop the floss noose around the wires you want to run through there and feed them back through by pulling on the floss and keeping tension on it the whole time so it doesn't slip off. I've found this technique to be very effetive after struggling with things like this for years. This technique works better for me than taping wires to what ever I'm pulling through because about 4 times out of 10 the tape gives because it's too tight to pull back through.

Hope these help someone in the future.

Curt

Farkle On
Hey....you washed your bike!!

STOC #

Curt,
Thanks for the great write-up. It will be a big help to me in my next project. Take care.

One issue some may wish to consider is connecting the + wire through the headlight power via a relay so that the socket is only powered on after the engine has started. I did this on my Nomad just in case I forget to turn off the GPS.

Did you run the power wire directly to the battery? Others have said to tap into the break light in the fuse panels. Thank you.

OP
OP
crazykz

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #

Did you run the power wire directly to the battery? Others have said to tap into the break light in the fuse panels. Thank you.
For our powerlet I would run it to the battery. The brake light is a low amperage circuit and so I would go to the battery.

Curt

thomascharles

Thomas
Bike
2005 St 1300
Re: ST1300-Powerlet Install with pics

I added my out let almost identically to your article, but without seeing yours first. I should have looked first, but ended up routing my wires in the same place. I put my outlet inside the right box on the front top centre wall. I did this for charging my cell phone while riding. I think you could run two outlets of the same circuit and I might add a second where you placed yours. Good job and nice write up. This is a few years late. Tom

OP
OP
crazykz

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #

I added my out let almost identically to your article, but without seeing yours first. I should have looked first, but ended up routing my wires in the same place. I put my outlet inside the right box on the front top centre wall. I did this for charging my cell phone while riding. I think you could run two outlets of the same circuit and I might add a second where you placed yours. Good job and nice write up. This is a few years late. Tom
Hi Tom,

Well I'm glad you got it wired up. Just a word to the wise... there have been many a fried phones, mp3 players and cameras that were stored in the fairing pockets while riding. Please be cautious as those pockets get hot enough to cook a phone.

Curt

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Bob, it is pretty straight forward.. but, just not something you want to do a lot.. especially after you just took it all off..

OP
OP
crazykz

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #

Curt,

I am brand new here, just got the new bike a few days ago. I wish to run my Garmin wiring (coming off my previous bike) to center of the triple clamp from the battery.

I was just looking at the bodywork and it looks pretty straight forward to remove it, but if there are any special tricks or techniques would you mind sharing them with me?

Thanks,

Bob
Hi Bob,

Welcome to the site. If you're running it up to the triple clamp there are easy ways and not easy ways. If you're just running the power cable then run it from the battery under the seat and up underneath the tank. Then sneak it around the side of the airbox and come out by the stem and run it around and up by the ignition.

The tank does not sit on the frame up there so it won't pinch the wiring. If you do it that way the only plastic you need to remove is the side panel for the battery. Lifting the tank is a little tricky but nothing tough.

If you have more questions just ask. There's plenty of people here to help.

Curt

OP
OP
crazykz

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #

Pardon my grammar!

Gentlemen,

So I just finished running the cable up under the tank, thanks for the tip, it was easy.

2 Questions please:

It is the standard cable that came with the unit..should I keep an EYE out for heaT related issues with it? It is sitting in the space between the wishbone (?) frame member and the airbox.

Second, I had the battery disconnected for a bit, is there any reset procedure needed on any of the electronics (besides the clock and tripmeters)?

Thanks again,

Bob
You shouldn't have to worry about heat there just make sure you have a good connection and protect it. Dielectric grease on the terminals and maybe some heat shrink over the terminals.

Curt

Bike
ST 1300
Thanks Curt...A couple folks on here have volunteered to help me put an outlet on next week at Tech Day in florida. Willl use your info for a tutorial. I'm thinking a double outlet ..low draw for cell phone charging and gps. Thanks again

OP
OP
crazykz

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks Curt...A couple folks on here have volunteered to help me put an outlet on next week at Tech Day in florida. Willl use your info for a tutorial. I'm thinking a double outlet ..low draw for cell phone charging and gps. Thanks again
Sounds like a fun job. Have fun with it. Routing the wiring back to the battery can sometimes be a challenge so choose your path wisely and use some wire loom to protect it.

Good luck.

Curt

Top Bottom