Tachometer quit working!

jaysponger

Jay Rena
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I was gone for a couple of months and I had my bike started by my wife every so often while I was gone. When I came back and the first day I started the bike the rpm was moving "A" ok, however after a couple of minutes I rev'ed engine then suddenly the RPM just quit moving and went limp to zero. Last year the same thing happened but it started working again after 15 to 20 minutes of riding. This time it's been a couple of weeks and the tach is still not moving at all. The bike runs fine no hiccup, no stuttering, it pulls great, no problem at all (knock on wood). Any of you had the same problem or any ideas where to start? Thanks for the help.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I was gone for a couple of months and I had my bike started by my wife every so often while I was gone. When I came back and the first day I started the bike the rpm was moving "A" ok, however after a couple of minutes I rev'ed engine then suddenly the RPM just quit moving and went limp to zero. Last year the same thing happened but it started working again after 15 to 20 minutes of riding. This time it's been a couple of weeks and the tach is still not moving at all. The bike runs fine no hiccup, no stuttering, it pulls great, no problem at all (knock on wood). Any of you had the same problem or any ideas where to start? Thanks for the help.

Is this an 1100 or a 1300 as the 1100 is cable driven and the 1300 is electronic?

Avtrician

Think you might be confusing the Tacho and Speedo Chuck, ST1100 Tacho gets a pulse from the pulse generator.

One of the connections may have come a little loose.

OP
OP
jaysponger

jaysponger

Jay Rena
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Sorry guys, I taught by posting it under ST1100 technical will clear it up.

@ Avtrician, yes the manual mentioned pulse generator. I just can't dang find where it is located.

STranger

Jay Knight
Bike
99 ST1100
STOC #
Jay Welcome back!!!!
The parts fiche shows it next to the starter clutch under a plastic cover. Never messed with it myself or seen it.....the harness seems to have an exposed ground pigtail.....might be the problem

Good luck

Jay

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Think you might be confusing the Tacho and Speedo Chuck, ST1100 Tacho gets a pulse from the pulse generator.

One of the connections may have come a little loose.
You are correct.:bow1: Engaged fingers before brain. These things happen the older one gets.

Bike
1993 ST1100
STOC #
According to my 91-94 Honda service manual, the wiring diagram shows a signal lead wire at the tach that is Y/G (yellow/green) with one junction leading to the ignition control module. There is a green common ground which also operates the indicator lights. If the motor runs good, I'd be looking for a signal on that wire at the tach. I didn't locate a value for the signal, but if there is one, I'd "borrow" a tach to see if that clears the problem. I would look to the one connection (I'm guessing behind the instrument cluster) if a signal voltage is missing. I would look to substitute the ignition module last.
These are listed in order of expense and the way I'd do it if it were mine. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
jaysponger

jaysponger

Jay Rena
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks Jay, good to be back.

Dooda, that is what I saw from the manual too. I am thinking of opening it sometime when I had the time. The ST is my everyday ride so I don't want to take it apart and have no ride.

Hi Gang, I'm new to this site, but not new to the ST1100. I have 200K Kms on my 99 STeed and this is the first problem that I have had with it. What was the ultimate fix for your Tach problem? Did anyone find out exactly what signal we should be seeing at the tach? I am getting a signal at the tach and even have the tach out of the cluster and would love to test the tach on the work bench. I looks like I a going to have to purchase a new one or just ride by the seat of my pants and not worry about the tach. Has ony one purchased a new tach?

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I wouldn't purchase new... there are a number of bikes being parted out right now...

Did you do all those 200,000 km on your bike?

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
This has nothing to do with your problem, but best not start the bike in storage unless you can ride it for considerable distance to get it to full operating temperatures. Just leave it off, parked on the center stand and plugged into a battery tender.

OP
OP
jaysponger

jaysponger

Jay Rena
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Well, the problem is still there. I just came back from a deployment and I just don't really have the time to open up the bike. I ride the beaST 99% of the time and weekends are for the wife and kids since I am getting ready to go out again in less than a year. I ride it and no problem at all except for the tach, I just listen and feel the engine and with that I can tell if I need to change gear.

Hopefully, with the coming holiday next month I can open it up or I might just go on leave and tackle this thing once and for all.

Avtrician

Just had a closer look at the wiring diagram, and dont think the pulse module wouls be the problem as it goes to the ignition control module. No pulse no go. There is a yellow/green wire from the ignition module that carries tach info to the tacho via a single in line connector (bullet type I think) it should be near the instrument cluster wiring connectors, if the wiring diagram is anything to go by.

Your symptoms would suggest that this connector has separated. It should be a simple matter to remove the screen and front cowls and have a look. I dont have mine apart at the moment, so cant take a look and photo, may have a look tomorrow.

Page 1-35 of the maint manual indicates that there is a plug of that description sitting next to the speedo drive

OP
OP
jaysponger

jaysponger

Jay Rena
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Sorry guys, I haven't checked-in in awhile.

Thanks for the picture John. Looks like I have to open up the beast, since I have to do some PM on the bike anyways.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Jay - Getting to the back of the tach is pretty quick - remove windshield (5 screws), remove black garnish (2 screws), remove gray cover (4 screws) and you are staring at it. Watch the little lower 'feet' on the black garnish as they are prone to want to break off - don't ask me how I know that ... ;-)

OP
OP
jaysponger

jaysponger

Jay Rena
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I go it opened up today, Y/G wire from behind the gauge is intact, I moved it while the bike is running, gauge did not move. I also looked at the ignition control module and Y/G wires are intact, move it also while the bike is running, gauge did not move. I did pull the whole tach gauge out no obvious distortion. Thats as far I went, I don't know how to shoot wires to test for continuity or anything like that.

Brock- there is a connector bullet type but it is all fine, no breaks or tear I also moved it while the bike is running and tach did not budge.

Uncle Phil-thanks for the advice.

Except for the tachometer the whole gauge is working, I am leaning on replacing the tach gauge. I hope my ebay account is still working.:)

Top Bottom