Tachometer quit working!

Bike
Vstrom 650
I think the tacho is the same for all years, I can't tell the difference from my original '00 to the older tacho prior to swapping them out.
The speedo however has differences since over where I'm located, we use Kilometer instead of miles. But I did noticed that the one I ordered from the bikebreaker in Cork(good lads) had some sort of small calibration sticker by the side of the speedo, presumably it's a requirement in europe?
As far as I can figure out the actual tacho clock is the same for all years anyway,funny how my tacho developed the exact same fault as yours and we got the replacement tacho from the same place!
I think that calibration sticker on yours might be because the clocks came from an ex Garda bike, hopefully I'll have her buttoned back together on Monday evening.
The tacho isn't essential but it's nice to have everything working.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Just checked out the part numbers for the tacho clock on cmsl. the part number is the same from a 93 non abs and my own 2000 st1100ay model.
Yeah, I stand corrected... apologises for the confusion...
For some reason I was convinced that also a version with fully black faces exists...

While at it, out of interest:
does your speedo show only mph or mph plus kph in red on the inside?

Bike
ST1100Y
As far as I can figure out the actual tacho clock is the same for all years anyway,funny how my tacho developed the exact same fault as yours and we got the replacement tacho from the same place!
I think that calibration sticker on yours might be because the clocks came from an ex Garda bike, hopefully I'll have her buttoned back together on Monday evening.
The tacho isn't essential but it's nice to have everything working.
Ahhhh, that makes sense now if it comes off a Garda bike.
However, I didn't managed to see that many of them on bikes during my past few visits in dublin :)

Our ST(Pan Euro emblem) in south east asia all display kph, however some model prior to 96/97 with the 28A alt came with both mph + kph in red( we called them "US" model. over here) The instrument set I got from Ireland had the speedo in mph+kph, it's probably before they switched to kph sometime back.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Yeah, I stand corrected... apologises for the confusion...
For some reason I was convinced that also a version with fully black faces exists...

While at it, out of interest:
does your speedo show only mph or mph plus kph in red on the inside?
No problem Martin and thanks for your help,the speedo on my bike reads mph on the outside and kph on the inside in smaller numbers,I'm always learning something new about this bike,hopefully thread will assist someone else in the future.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Ahhhh, that makes sense now if it comes off a Garda bike.
However, I didn't managed to see that many of them on bikes during my past few visits in dublin
The Guards have stopped using ST's as far as I know,the use Deauville's and Fjr's now and maybe some Bmw. I don't think they ever stepped up to ST1300's,but I could be wrong.
All our road signs are now in kmph but I go very slow anyway so it makes no difference:)

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Then you can go skiing...
You might rethink...
queuing on crowded slopes, pubs, hotels, entire stretches of land invaded by Klingon and Dutch tourists...
Methinks I can happily do without... needed as urgent as pneumonia... :(

Rather be out on abandoned back-roads observing my ST's working instrument cluster :razz:

Bike
'2014 Yamaha Super T
STOC #
Broc, I'm not sure if this helps, took some pictures of my "slow to respond" tacho with the plastic backing on & removed.
It has a small pcb with some components on it(x2 capacitors, x2 resistors, x1 variable resistor, x1 diode & x1 IC - power inductor according to my friend google) :)
Only solder connections to the board are the 2wires(red & black)
There's some sort of a small coil/spring device attaching the tacho needle to the unit itself, unable to remove that though.

Ray
IMG_1036.jpgIMG_1038.jpgIMG_1039.jpg
My 1999 ST1100A tach quit working recently. After I disassembled the dash to get at the input wires to the Tach I measured ~4 vac with the engine running so I knew the pusler output to the Tachometer was working. After removing the tach module I used an ohm meter across the red and black wires and measured <1 ohm, pretty much a dead short. Unsoldering the red lead from the circuit board and measuring the resistance across the movement assembly I measured 50 ohms and the needle would return to 0 if I manually moved the needle, so I assumed the movement was OK. Unsoldering the black lead and disassembling the circuit board from the plastic housing I measured the resistance again across the red/black solder points and read <1 ohm, Electrolytic capacitors may fail over time so I suspected the 1000uf @ 6.3 VDC electrolytic capacitor was defective. Unsoldering and testing the electrolytic capacitor confirmed it was shorted. I could not find a suitable 1000uf @ 6.3 VDC electrolytic capacitor replacement locally. Physically the radial lead capacitor needs to be short enough to fit in the housing so higher voltage capacitors could not be used. As luck would have it I had an old PC video card that had the same physical dimension electrolytic capacitor on it except it was 1500 uf @ 6.3 vdc. After replacing the capacitor and reassembling the tach module I tested it by clip leading to the pulser output leads and the tach was working again. After a 1000 mile trip it is still working OK.

As a note about electrolytic capacitors they may dry out over time and fail by shorting (as mine did), fail open, or lose capacity and become intermittent, which may account for some of the reports of intermittent operation.

Hope this helps. See Ray's pictures above for reference.

Don

Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
doho,
excellent description of your diagnosis and repair of this problem. My '95 ST has been doing the tacho intermittent two step for a few years and it cleared itself but now I think she has final gone t*ts up.
Now I just need to find a 1000uf @6.3 VDC electrolytic capacitor.
Thank you Don

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
You may have a bad connection, but not a bad pulse generator. If you had a bad pulse generator, the bike wouldn't run. The pulse generator signal is an input to the Ignition spark/advance unit. Take off some plastic in front and start flexing some wires while the bike is running to see if you can induce / or clear the problem. A schematic will help too. John O. has them on this Forum that can be downloaded.

Top Bottom