"How to" replace front brake pads ST1300 ?

STill STylin

Red is ALWAYS faSTer
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Does anyone know of write-up here, perhaps with pic's of how-to replace front brake pads on the '05 ST1300A - or - can you provide one?

Thanks!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Re: "How to" replace front brake pads ST1300 . ????

It's pretty easy...

Remove rubber cap #16
Remove pin #18

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/1323-honda-2005-ST1300A/assemblies/16330

The pads will just about fall out... but, you may need to wiggle them a little.

You should, once the pads are removed clean the exposed pistons.. not always easy with the calipers on so you might want to pull them but, your call....

Then, after cleaning the pistons, you can use a thin board to slowly push them in just a little, then check if the new pads will fit in the caliper and on each side of the rotor... If not, you might need to push them just a hair more.

When reinstalling the new pads be extra careful to make sure the non-pin side fits into the slots in the caliper...

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #

as a note... clean off the pin and slide area( upper part of pad) for the pads to make sure pads move freely

omniron

...rider of V'GER
Bike
18 Kawi Ninja H2SXSE

I just replaced my rear brake pads (with Honda OEM, BTW). While I was "in the area," I did some other maintenance on the rear wheel -- bearing check, new rubber bumpers in the cushion drive, cleaning and greasing the splines, etc. -- then put it all back together. Took me three evenings to get it done. I don't work slow, just thoroughly.

Replacing the front pads are much easier, IMHO. Mellow's advice is excellent about cleaning the pistons in the calipers BEFORE pushing them back into their bores to accommodate the thicker new pads. The last thing you want is dirt and grime getting in there and binding the pistons' movement.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #

I just replaced my front pads with some EBC pads I had laying around. They are rubbing when I spin the wheel. I took it up and down the street and applied the brakes 4 or 5 times and it still won't spin freely and the disc's are hot to the touch. Did I not get the pistons pushed in far enough or should I just go get some OEM pads? I've never used anything other than OEM, until now.

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #

I just replaced my front pads with some EBC pads I had laying around. They are rubbing when I spin the wheel. I took it up and down the street and applied the brakes 4 or 5 times and it still won't spin freely and the disc's are hot to the touch. Did I not get the pistons pushed in far enough or should I just go get some OEM pads? I've never used anything other than OEM, until now.
Did you clean the pistons before you pushed them back into the bore. Also some lubricate the pistons with brake fluid before they push the back in.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #

Yep. I cleaned the pistons and pushed them back. Maybe I didn't get them pushed in good? I've never had this problem before with the OEM pads. I guess I'll pop the calipers back off and try again. If that doesn't work, it's to the Honda shop for OEM pads.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #

Maybe I didn't get them pushed in good? I've never had this problem before with the OEM pads. I guess I'll pop the calipers back off and try again.
The pads should be the same thickness as OEM.

Did you open the master cylinders (plural) before pushing them back in?

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
ebc pads are known to have fitment issues on ST1300's. Use OEM pads. .02

ebc pads are known to have fitment issues on ST1300's. Use OEM pads. .02
Thanks Larry.

Can you clarify \ confirm:
a) "Fitment issue" because the pad just plain doesn't fit properly in the caliper and the pin can't be set (because its shape is incorrect or dimensions are off)
b) "Fitment issue" because, although the pad fits in the caliper properly and the pin secures as it should, but given time the pad wears incorrectly against the rotor and may ruin the rotor.
c) "Fitment issue" because the pad material is different than OEM and will eventually ruin the rotor (due to excessive wear to the rotor or excessive heat).
d) Some other fitment issue I might be missing.

It's my understanding that the OEM pads are sintered.

I ask about this because I have the EBCs installed ... they slide right into place without any sort of coaxing.
AAMOF, before I installed them, I butted them up to the previous OEM pads I removed and everything (measurements, shape, etc) matched.
(PS - I have the "optional" extra-thick rear pads).

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I'm sure if you use the search button you'll find several comments about EBC pads, fitment issues, and brake dragging problems when using EBC pads on Honda ST1300's.
While I have used EBC pads on other vehicles over the years without problems, these often cause the brakes to drag on this model bike.
In a nutshell...EBC does not use the white spacer (heat guard) on the rear pads. There have been several fitment changes over the last year or so to try and solve these issues.
EBC decided for some reason to only make (1) size pad in the beginning rather than thinner up front and thicker in the rear, they made both the front and rear pads in the thicker shape, thus causing a lot of folks to have issues with the rear brakes dragging because the front pistons had no room to retract away from the rotor, causing the rear brakes to drag. I have seen several sets of EBC pads that required "hand fitting" due to quality control issues, and unless the person installing them knows how to do this, they may have fitment issues. EBC pads have worked for some people, but I have repaired/corrected for brake dragging issues and stuck pistons issues with EBC pads than OEM ones. IMHO EBC caused more rotor wear than OEM pads.
IMHO OEM last just as long, stop just as well, and always seem to just drop in without hand fitting.
For those folks who claim that EBC pads stop so much better, I have conducted my own non-scientific tests with ST1300's side by side with the same tires, even swapping riders and found no difference in the distance it took to stop with either rider on either bike.
Brake pads are like K&N oil filters, for those folks who purchased and use them, they want to like them so they do.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Well, I just ordered a set of OEM pads at the dealer today. We'll see if the OEM's rub when they come in next week. I doubt they will.

Bike
2006 ST 1300A
STOC #
When I replaced the pads on my 03 a couple of years ago I did not know or realize that the fronts were thinner than the rears or that the rears had an extra notch in the backing plate. However I solved those problems by comparing the different pads and then noticed that there were differences.
An angle grinder was used to notch out the respective pads, the so called heat shield was removed and then the so called front replacement pads were found to be too thick to fit in the calipers properly without excessive binding ,I just reused one of the older pads that still had some useful life left in it and told myself that I would change that previously worn pad at some later date for one of the newer thicker ones when he other side had worn down enough so that it would all fit and work together.
I must say here that I am in the relative outback of Western Australia and parts and competent help and knowledge is non exhistent here , so one is forced to be imaginative in the approach to many things.
I am happy to say that after this mod the brakes work as well as they did before I played with them, I am not a high mileage person nor do I ride aggressively.
Since the the noticeable ware has been negligible
I am also aware that a complete inspection as well as regular inspection and maintenance of the ride is a very necessary part of owning one , or in my case two to these great machines .
That Is my experience.
Cheers,
Winston Lee, Northampton,
Western Australia

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
Bought my used ST1300 in 2009 and I'm on my 4th set of pads, front and rear. Always bought EBC's as I heard they bite better than OEM. The first set of pads I took off of the bike were Honda pads. Previous owner had then installed. Once I put on the new EBC's, they felt better, but that may of been that the OEM ones were worn out and or contaminated. The next set of pads were EBC's also. Yes they squeaked a bit once I put them on, but I just went with it that they were bedding in. They wore out and I had a choice of installing another set of EBC's or a set of pads off of eBay. Ebayer ones were $17 for a full set front and rear. I went with the eBay ones and they have been flawless on the front. The thicker EBC's on the rear didn't need changing at the time when I put the fronts on.
20,000 miles on the Ebayer ones and no issues.

Last edited:

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Coming up on a trip and inspection soon and looking at the rear pads, I fiq I'd change them out.

I ordered all three OEM sets for the bike and did them last night.

On the rear I had EBC HH pads that went in in 9/2011... they had about 18k on them. They were half way worn but both sides evenly worn. I measured the rotor and found no real wear on same... so much for the EBC eating rotors.
I was able to swap out the rear pads with out removing the rear wheel ( not something I usu do ) but I wondered if it was possible... it is. Hardest part was getting a shoelace in there around the pistons to clean off the crud... then a cut down tooth brush to clean a bit on the top pad bracket... pia but necessary imo.

Ok, I'm already dirty hands, so pull the left front... after checking the SMC and lower bracket needle bearing... I pop the pads to find they are fairly new...still just seeing the last of rib lines on the pads. I check the bike's log and see that I had done them last year...brain fart but now I have it apart so I clean all and replace. Fiq i have to clean the right too and do so, all fine there. Finding a little more wear on the outer pad than inner.
Thought about swapping sides but of course the other side is all back together already... so left it.

So , I went back to rear OEMs after EBCs... found EBCs work fine for me with no rotor wear after 18k. I think I'll stay with OEMs on front but its nice to know if need be there's an option on the rear.

It's pretty easy...

Remove rubber cap #16
Remove pin #18

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/1323-honda-2005-ST1300A/assemblies/16330

The pads will just about fall out... but, you may need to wiggle them a little.

You should, once the pads are removed clean the exposed pistons.. not always easy with the calipers on so you might want to pull them but, your call....

Then, after cleaning the pistons, you can use a thin board to slowly push them in just a little, then check if the new pads will fit in the caliper and on each side of the rotor... If not, you might need to push them just a hair more.

When reinstalling the new pads be extra careful to make sure the non-pin side fits into the slots in the caliper...
Linkie no workie....not unusual given it's a 9 year old thread lol!!!

Does anyone know of write-up here, perhaps with pic's of how-to replace front brake pads on the '05 ST1300A - or - can you provide one?

Thanks!
Don’t count on full information!!! It appears NOT ONE single person removers the hardware kit and cleans them. This may be a very big issue with your brakes riding in the rotor and not returning!!! Can’t slide….. they stick out. I can’t believe there are no comments about this

Top Bottom