I need some good advice regarding gear...

Bike
2007 ST1300
Guys, I need your help...

First of all I apologize if this is not the proper forum to completely address this topic. Also, I know that everyone has a "favorite" brand so I'm trying to keep things generic.

I am going on my first long trip next month and will be leaving from Atlanta and will go to Abuquerque and, hopefully-weather permitting, move on to Aspen before returning home. If Aspen is out of the question because of snow on the roads we'll head south to Tombstone. It should be a nice ride!

As you know, there is going to be a huge temperature variance from start to finish and I don't want to ruin a good trip by not properly preparing for this. I have a nice multi-season jacket and will be purchasing a heated jacket liner to keep my core temp regulated. (I thought I would just remove the bulky liner and use the heated jacket liner in its place- does that make good sense?)

I don't own any riding pants and am trying to keep costs low. I know I can purchase some mesh pants that I can use for protection throughout the year, however, can I just wear jeans and long johns under them and expect to be comfortable? Or, should I try to buy some cheaper insulated pants? I like the idea of a heated pant liner- but the cost and my unfamiliarity with exactly how functional they really are both keep me from making a purchase at this time.

Also, what are y'all's general recommendations on socks and gloves? I should mention that I do have heated grips... so would leather gloves and maybe some glove liners work? What about wool socks for the feet?

Thanks in advance for your input. I am really looking forward to the trip and don't want to mess up a good opportunity by not seeking good advice.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I like the Olympia air glide pants as they can be worn year-round... understanding, I'm from TX so I'll ride in the southern states when it gets cold.. they come with rain liners that also add warmth.. I've never had issues wearing them in 30 degree weather.

Socks-I've never worn any that were better or worse for cold, just find something comfortable.. the ST does give out a little heat so that helps in the winter.

I do have gerbing heated gloves and liner for the cold weather, if you keep your core warm, your extremities will not be as cold. Heated grips help a little but you'll still want either heated gloves or glove liners and some winter gloves.

Hope that helps, it's just my opinion on what works for me.

Avtrician

I always wear my Kevlar lined Jeans, prefer Draggin Jeans, due to the heavier Denim and Kevlar, tho they can be a bit warm in summer (40deg C). Occasionaly when very cold /wet I will wear water proof padded outer pants.

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
Get yourself a balaclava to keep your head and neck warm when the temps get chilly.

RCS

I've done temps down to 25 degrees on 10 hour rides. My suggestion for the legs is to get some wind breakers to wear over your long johns. Once you block the wind, the long johns should keep your legs warm. If you don't have an effective wind barrier for your legs your legs will shiver. Not good.

For legs I wear motoport air mesh pants and rain liner. To that I add some spandex waist to ankle tights from my bicycling wardrobe. That keeps me warm down to 25 degrees F. To keep it inexpensive, you may be able to get away with a Frogg Togg rainsuit as the windbreaker over your jeans and longjohns. Someone with Frogg Toggs please chime in.

For feet I purchased the Gerbing heated insoles for $60. They are sweet and keep my toes nice and warm.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Scott, you'll encounter a wide range of temperatures...the best solution for you IMO is to add layers as necessary, under Olympia Airglide pants.

I have two different pants that I use: I use Olympia Airglide 2 pants (and jacket) with removable liners for summer/rain/fall. I wear it down to 40's sustained. For colder weather I wear Tourmaster Transition jacket and Oly Ranger 2 pants...they're quite warm and thick.

IMO, you'll be fine with the Airglide pants, but bring extra layers that you can add as necessary with or without the liner. For example, I use Champion or UnderArmor 'cold gear' longjohns underneath, or other layers as needed. I put them on or take them off as weather dictates. I don't use electrics (nothing against them, I just haven't bought or used them) and I ride in 20's F on occasion.

Regarding socks, I have an older pair of boots that are a bit large. I use them in the winter with wool and poly blend thick socks (skiing socks) and I add another sock layer if the weather will be 40 or lower.

My challenge is fingers... I have always had poor circulation. I again resort to layers of various gloves and liners. The liners are made for wearing with ski gloves, but they also work great to keep perspiration off the skin (to eliminate chilling) and fit tightly and within other cold-weather riding gloves. In the worst case, I wear an oversized wind/rain shell over that glove.

I also bring along various balaclavas, fleece neck warmers, and the like to keep the neck area from chilling.

The above works for me for the most part...the challenge is not to overheat and sweat before getting into the cold weather. The moisture in the clothing chills you quickly.

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
I have yet to find a pair of pants that I really really like for all situations. I'm using my 3 season pants as strictly mesh pants anymore. I think the best and least expensive setup would be to buy a pair of mesh only pants (with armor). Then buy a rain suit pants (cheap ones like Frogg Toggs or PVC stuff for $10) that fit over the mesh pants so you can put them on without removing the mesh pants. Under the mesh pants, I'd wear a nice thick pair of fleece PJ pants for cold weather with the rain pant on over the mesh pants. I really like wearing PJ pants under my riding pants for shear comfort alone, and when it's really warm I wear basketball shorts under the riding pants. Jeans and most pants with pockets and thick seams tend to become uncomfortable to sit on after a while.

For socks, until it gets really stinking cold, I don't do anything special. My boots are gore-tex lined so they already stay pretty warm, but not too warm for summer. When it gets cold enough, I wear a pair of LOOSE fitting wool/cotton blend socks. If you wear tight socks, it will reduce circulation to your toes and make your feet even colder. Keeping your toes on the pegs keeps them warmer than letting them hang down when it gets cold since the fairing will sort of protect them tucked up like that.

I have no experience with these pants, but the price isn't bad:
http://www.newenough.com/street/pants/textile_pants/agv/solare_textile__mesh_motorcycle_pants.html

Bike
06 ST
Agreed: Riding in Colorado with widely varying temps, the comfort key is to layer up your clothing. I also have a Olympia high-vis mesh coat ($250), that has two liners, one for warmth, one for wet. The Polartec clothing are great as an undercoat/garment. The ST's offer good rain protection too. I wear Draggin Jeans and like them, $100 a copy, maybe cheaper on-line. Wool socks will stay warm when wet (to some degree), I wear wool socks all year around, light summer, heavier winter, I like the comfort level. I have Gor-Tex ski bibs (Cabela's $100) I wear for colder WX and rain protection, lightweight, waterproof and stow compactly.
If you are going to be in Colorado early Oct. the WX should be decent, chance of some warm days and colder ones. Colorado has a 30 degree temperature differential change from night to day. Also, a possibly of a snow storm too. I rode today Fri, 10th, Denver, I-70, Berthoud Pass (42'), Winter Park, Granby, Grand Lake, Kremmling, Silverthorne, Loveland Pass, I-70 and back to Denver. Also, remember tomorrow is "9/11", "Fly your Flags", the day I learned all I want to know about Islam, US Army 64-69. Dave B. Denver

BDonald

R.I.P. - 2014/10/15
Rest In Peace
Bike
'12 Wing
I ride year around and run up to IL and OH in the winter. I have a aerostich 2 piece with Gerbing heated jacket liner and gloves. When it gets down into the teens, I use long johns and have no problems. For my feet, I have some wool socks and if needed I carry some Toasty Toes that I buy at Walmart.

Bob

OP
OP
ScottD
Bike
2007 ST1300
Wow- what a good response!

Guys, thanks for all of the information. I'll sort it out and figure what's best for fulfilling my needs. I do like the idea of getting mesh pants (with armor) and then applying the appropriate amount of layering. This gives me the versatility to adjust to the changing conditions.

Also, I will follow the advice to get something such as a balaclava to keep the chill off of the neck and head. I'll smoke over the "gloves" forum to get further information on winter gloves.

Thanks, again- you guys are great!

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
Pretty hard to beat $99 for the First Gear HTII pants from Newenough. Removable liner and they are an overpant with knee and hip padding so you could still wear Draggin Jeans underneath. Worth a look IMO. Have a great ride! Marty

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I've been very happy wearing classic Draggin' Jeans at 32 degrees down the Million Dollar Hwy in CO and across Death Valley at 112 back in 2007. When it rains, I slip on a cheap Cabela's rain pants that takes up about 1/3 of my tank bag. Them's the rain pants in my avatar, along with the liner of my Joe Rocket mesh jacket on a damp Dragon.

See http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=0HH601HK010182&po=182&pc=189 for what they looked like on 7 September.

Bike
2005 ST1300
If your gear is not water proof then make sure you have some rain gear to put over every thing. I perfer my Aero Stich suit for long rides. It is water proof and with my heated vest for the cold and all of the variouus vents you can zip open is great up to maybe 75 degrees. Gets a little warm above that but it is the most verstile out fit I have and is usually what I wear on long trips when you never know what mother nature is going to throw at you.

Bike
1998 CB750
STOC #
Also, remember tomorrow is "9/11", "Fly your Flags", the day I learned all I want to know about Islam, US Army 64-69. Dave B. Denver
ROGER THAT!

I keep cheap raingear, either frog toggs or the pvc coated nylon kind in my bike when I'm touring. It works great as a windbreaker when I get caught in the cold with not quite enough clothes. Have a great trip.

Russ Gillingham
USAF Brat
Active duty '76-'80
Air Guard '83-'87 :usflag1:

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
If you need cheap warm pants most of the big box sports stores in the areas you will be riding in will have ski pants for $35-$45 that are usually at least rain resistant and windproof....I use 'em here in Minnesota and they work well....................flyfisher

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I ride all year in central Iowa. I've ridden in temps as high as 105 F and as low as -5 F (that's minus five).
For riding pants I have used the same pair in the entire temp range. I originally had FirstGear Air HT 2.0. These are primarily a mesh pant with a rain/wind liner that can be put in. When the temp goes below freezing I would add thermal long johns and was comfy all the way to zero, and still ok below that. These pants were damaged when I low sided the bike on a hairpin turn. They, and the rest of the gear, did what they were supposed to do and I only ended up with a small red mark on my knee that was gone within the week. Now I have what I consider to be better pants. Better armor, better air flow through the mesh when hot, and better thermal protection when it gets cold. I bought Tour Master Flex armored pants. These have a removable solid panel to expose the mesh for warm/hot temps. Add the panels on in moderate/cool temps. They also have a wind/rain liner and thermal liner to put in for the cold/very cold temps. I haven't gone through the winter yet with these but with the performance so far I anticipate I will not need the thermal long johns this year. I don't consider any internal wind/rain liner to be good for rain protection since it's on the inside and everything outside of the liner must get soaked before getting to the liner. I tried that once and though I was dry, sort of, I felt clammy due to the humidity of the soaked outer layers. I rely on my Frogg Toggs to keep me dry and warm in rain since they are on the outside of it all and a dry suit is a warm suit and is much more comfortable at any temp. The only electric heat I have is Gerbing electric gloves for when the temp is below freezing since on the ST the hands are out in the wind more than the rest of me. I also like to do what I can to keep costs down and go with something that I can use in many situations. My TM Flex pants and new style TM Flex jacket fulfil that goal. The only thing I have more than one of to cover various temps is my gloves. Mesh for warm/hot, PolarTech for cool, Gerbing electric for cold/very cold. I also use Turtle Fur for my neck (fleece pull over neck wrap) for cold temps.

Oh, I do consider that I will likely need to dress warmer for extended riding in the extreme cold of below zero. But I have gone on round trips of up to 3 hours one way without the long johns or Gerbing gloves with only the outfit mentioned above with temps in the 30s the entire time and was comfy. I think from that experience I would be able to dress the same, and add the Gerbing gloves, for an extended trip with temps in the 20s as well.

Viggo

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
Pretty hard to beat $99 for the First Gear HTII pants from Newenough. Removable liner and they are an overpant with knee and hip padding so you could still wear Draggin Jeans underneath. Worth a look IMO. Have a great ride! Marty
:plus1: I have a pair of these and they are great. They're half mesh with zip in panels to cover the mesh in colder weather. The St provides great lower body wind protection so I've rarely had to use the quilted liners unless it's extremely cold, i.e. under 30 degrees or so.

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
I use those very overpants and the liner in cool/cold weather. I also caught a deal on a discontinued FirstGear jacket (forgot which one specifically, but it's similar to the Kilimanjaro) from NewEnough.

Now, I haven't had my ST but about a month, so I haven't ridden any cool/cold weather, but when I was riding a cruiser, I would do the following:

Above 80 degrees, I wear my Joe Rocket mesh jacket and jeans. I'm comfortable with that and an appropriate shirt down to about 70 degrees. Below 70 I switch to the FirstGear jacket.

The FirstGear jacket is comfortable with the vents open up to 80 degrees or so, as long as you're not stopped for too long, and have a light layer (teeshirt) under it. I can take that down to 50 degrees or less before I put the liner in, and then it will take me down to 40 or less.

Below 70, I would put on the overpants. Now that I have an ST and feel the heat and the excellent wind protection, I'll probably be comfortable to a lower temperature.

Below 50, I put the liners in.

I also have FirstGear heated gloves and a (forgot the brand) heated jacket liner. At 40 and lower, I like to have the heated gear on and ready to go.

I'll be adjusting what temperatures I go by considering the change in bike has resulted in much better weather/wind protection, but I can comment like everyone else has:

Layers! Layers are key! I like to start with a synthetic shirt like UnderArmor - even the non-coldgear types work fine. They do insulate well as a base layer with proper layering over them, and help keep sweat away from you.

I also have a set of FroggToggs that I keep in one of the panniers pretty much at all times, unless I'm SURE the weather will be clear. They cost about $30 at Academy, IIRC, and come with a case/cover you can roll them up into. I've never had to use them yet, tho, so I can't comment on their effectiveness.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I have had the total Scorpion Gear for the past 3 yrs from helmet to gloves, pants, and jacket all have body armour and removable liners. also has a waterproof liner in jacket and pants

Top Bottom