missing/stuttering-rough idle

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
For a while now, I've felt a rough idle on my bike. (2008 ST1300A w/46,000 miles).

I'm thinking this started before I installed the FCE but that's on my list of troubleshooting.

I just did a valve check/adjust this week. Everything was within the tolerance limits with the exception of a left-side intake valve and that was brought back into the middle. All the numbers were either dead-on or on the loose side so I don't feel that is contributing to this.

I can put my hands over the right and left exhaust pipes and the right just doesn't feel like it's pushing 'as much' air and it sounds like it has a 'miss' to it.

Easy stuff:
I did replace the plugs on the right side with new ones, didn't make a difference. I also put some sea foam in the bike for a couple tanks and that didn't clear things up either.

My 1st thought was ignition coil - however, I put all the plastic back on before thinking to switch the left/right coils to see if the problem then showed up on the left side.. doh!... I don't have time this week to try that but did find a used coil very cheap so I should have that on hand when I try that test next week.

The other thought is the fuel pump of course but I'll go to a dealer for that one as a warranty issue.

Before considering the fuel pump, and after trying the coil switch, I'll disconnect the FCE to see if that makes a difference. I haven't heard of anyone contributing this type of thing to the FCE so I don't really believe that's the issue.

Anything I'm missing? - pun intended.

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
Re: Right side missing/stuttering-rough idle

Have you ever done a starter valve synch? My bike had a stumble at idle until I adjusted them last March. I just loaned out my Carbtune, but should have it back next week. We could eliminate that as a problem.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Have you ever done a starter valve synch? My bike had a stumble at idle until I adjusted them last March. I just loaned out my Carbtune, but should have it back next week. We could eliminate that as a problem.
No, I never have... let me know when you have it back and I'll come get it... orrrrrrr... we could just do it at your place and save shipping costs.. :rofl1:

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #

I'll let you know. A friend has it to synch carbs on a fully restored Suzuki GS 1100.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I'd also check for a vaccume leak.
Yup... if we're doing a sync then might as well check all that stuff... and tighten hose clamps.. LOL

The bike actually runs great and the mileage is the same it's always been so other than the idle being rough it's perfect.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #

My Carbtune is available, too.

--Mark

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

My Carbtune is available, too.

--Mark
Thanks! but no reason to spend shipping $ on it if there's one close. I've also never done it so the guidance will be priceless.

and... Paul's garage is cool...

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #

This seems to be a recurring theme. With the problem spread over such a wide geographic area, I'd bet that it's the fuel we're using. That's the only common factor that comes to mind anyway. Then again, it could be like the "left headlight bulb is out" problem: some have it; some don't.

Marshal

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

This seems to be a recurring theme. With the problem spread over such a wide geographic area, I'd bet that it's the fuel we're using. That's the only common factor that comes to mind anyway. Then again, it could be like the "left headlight bulb is out" problem: some have it; some don't.

Marshal
That's why I ran some sea foam through a couple tanks... I still had the issue when riding through CO/UT/NM/AZ a few weeks back. Of course, if it's all the same fuel then whatchagonnado...

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I have a perfectly good Carbtune sitting in the garage right now if you want to do a starter valve sync. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so, depending on how difficult it is to remove your airbox.
I'll let you know.. If I have the truck back we can get your tire done at the same time. The airbox comes out without issues.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

The mileage is fine. Is the rough idle from both sides? I can put my hand a couple inches from my pipes and feel the left is a constant exhaust flow yet the right is just a bit less and matches the 'missing'.

RCS

I had a rough idle problem in May of this year - right after Moonshine. I put almost a full can of Seafoam in the tank and followed the website directions on how to run it through. After going through that process I went on about four separate highway entrance ramps and entered from 0-60mph in 3.2 seconds:D.

Problem went away. I wrote it off to gummed up fuel injectors....YMMV.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin

Whenever you change a valve clearance you will need to re-synch the valve bodies (or carbs).

tomS.T

You need to check the spark plug wire at the coil and the at the boot. There seems to be a problem with gradual loss of contact.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Whenever you change a valve clearance you will need to re-synch the valve bodies (or carbs).
I didn't know that...

You need to check the spark plug wire at the coil and the at the boot. There seems to be a problem with gradual loss of contact.
Added to the list, thanks..

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin

Yep - When a valve clearace is changed it changes the timing of the intake/ exhaust pull or push slightly and this will effect the synch. It seems the intake clearance has more of an effect but the exhaust will have some effect if it is changed as well. On old Suzuki GS models changing the valve clearance changed the carb synch settings quite a lot.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800

What procedure do you guys use to check for vacuum leak? I use Gummout and spray it around the intake connections and hoses and see if the RPM changes. Would that work on a bike? :shrug2:

My money is on injector.

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #

Interesting,,,,,I have the same problem, but never thought it to be serious enough to address. My perfectionism can drive me bonkers.

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #

No, I never have... let me know when you have it back and I'll come get it... orrrrrrr... we could just do it at your place and save shipping costs.. :rofl1:
I have a Motion Pro Carb tuner....

AlamoStartervalvesyncSToc ??

Top Bottom