Miss my Flash to Pass Switch

Bike
ST1300
All my other bikes have had a flash to pass switch. I do find myself missing it on the ST.

While on the subject of ST... you all have made me see ST all over the place by emphazing it sooooo much here... lol. I now see ST (Street) and I'm looking for an real ST.

STOC #
All my other bikes have had a flash to pass switch. I do find myself missing it on the ST.

While on the subject of ST... you all have made me see ST all over the place by emphazing it sooooo much here... lol. I now see ST (Street) and I'm looking for an real ST.

Here I am!:D

What is a Flash to Pass switch?

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had one of those on my Burgman 650. Only worked on low beam since the flash was to high. I ride high beam (modulated) from sun up to sun down. On my ST I use the starter button. It does spin up the starter motor a little but it doesn't even catch up to the gears on the road so no bad issue there. Besides, seems the BDCs notice a light going on/off more than just hi/lo, and it's a change up from the modulation.

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
So any issues with using the starter switch? Do you just keep pressing over and over to get the desired effect? Really no issues?
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Your starter switch cuts power to the lights and runs the starter; and although I haven't kept it up for long, pressing it multiple times doesn't seem to do anything other than flash the lights.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The ST1100 U.K. version had one (which you could order from over there). Several folks use them as PTT buttons. I don't know if they have the same set up on ST1300s, but I don't think so cause I don't remember one on the ST1300s I rented over there. But then the old memory ain't what it used to be either ... ;-)

Avtrician

In Oz, its a high beam flash switch. Its a trigger like switch lever on the front of the left grip. On ex police bikes its quite likely that it doesnt work as it has been converted to a PTT switch.

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
I put a european FTP left switch housing on and converted the button to PTT for my Icom radio. If I remember correctly, the wiring and plugs are different for the US bikes and I quite literally just changed out the top half of the shell, leaving the original light switch and wiring in place. I know several people who have used small momentary switches and put them in the FTP location for a PTT as well, so I don't see why you couldn't use a momentary switch and wire up your own FTP switch either.

Bike
2010 CB1100
STOC #
ST 1100 Pan (in Oz) has a high beam flasher as described earlier, plus a high/low beam switch, but no "headlight off" switch. The lights are permanently on when the engine is running, as required by law. (I think since about 1985 or so. My old 1984 Beemer R65 has a headlight off switch.)

Interesting that US bikes don't have the same setup.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I use the starter switch to drop the lights and signal others. It doesn't spin the starter because starter won't spin with the clutch out and bike in gear??.

Raymond

Viggo

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
I'm pretty sure the starter motor does not spin if in gear and clutch is out so the only effect is to kill the headlight (and tail lights too? I haven't verified this.) All other accessories stay hot.

I've used this more often to signal a trucker that he may change lanes in front of me. Keep in mind that flashing your headlight on/off may have a different meaning than flashing high/low beams. All such signals may be misinterpreted by cagers since there is no universal meaning to them so be careful.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
My Toyota Corolla has one and so does my Nissan Murano. No issues using the starter switch on the ST since I only flash it a few times very briefly. I have heard something spin up when I do hit it. If not the starter, then what? I think only a scooter has a cut-out for the starter motor since you must hold one of the brake levers to start those. But I think the starter on the ST will spin without holding the clutch. May be wrong about that... think I may test it tonight with the bike in neutral and not holding in any levers while pushing the starter.

I had the left control cluster apart the other day and notice there is a removable cover for a switch or something on the front side of the upper half of the cover. My guess is that is where a PTT or high beam flash switch would fit. Would have be a VERY low profile on the backside/inside part of the switch since there is only about a 3/8" space (or less) from the housing to the handlebar.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
... All such signals may be misinterpreted by cagers since there is no universal meaning to them so be careful.
All such signals WILL be misinterpreted by cagers... most cagers don't know what communication on the road is and show indication, more often than not, that they are puzzled by any signal other than turn or brake signals. And they only partly understand those! The best you can hope for is that any signaling you do will cause you to be noticed and don't expect more than that.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I think only a scooter has a cut-out for the starter motor since you must hold one of the brake levers to start those. But I think the starter on the ST will spin without holding the clutch. May be wrong about that... think I may test it tonight with the bike in neutral and not holding in any levers while pushing the starter.
QUOTE]

It will start in neutral without the clutch in but not in gear.

Raymond

RCS

I use my hazaard lights. People move to the right and begin to slow down really, really fast. Hmmm...don't know why?:D

Top Bottom