Miss my Flash to Pass Switch

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
It will start in neutral without the clutch in but not in gear.

Raymond
Verified part of that tonight. Was able to start the bike while in neutral without holding in the clutch or brakes. When I am riding down the road and hit the starter button I am sure I hear the starter motor spin a little. Will have to try that at slow speed on a quiet street sometime.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
My last two Dodge trucks had flash to pass, the trigger is the turn signal stalk, pulll it half way and the brights go on, pull it all the way and it toggles the brights on or off.

I don't know about the Pan, but on several of my older Hondas the Euro version had a flash to pass on the left control and an actual headlight switch on the right. I got a set of Euro controls on my 1100F right now.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
A lot of cars nowadays have the FTP. Those with a 2 position hi/lo switch on the signal light can be pulled toward the steering wheel (when in the closest to the wheel position) and it will flash the hi beams.
Rod

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I have a FTP switch on my C14... it's come in pretty handy when you can tell a BDC is getting ready to cut you off... let the BDC's know you aren't running your HB's at night... or you just want to light up a spot on the road at night.

Like most things... never thought about the use of them until I had them. ;)

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Flashing headlights are the universal signal that someone faster is coming up behind and you should move over. Works in nearly all places except NA which apparently is not part of the universe.
Rod

STOC #
Ooooohhh, So THATS Flash to Pass. I've had that one every car since the early 90's. Never on a bike. Only use that to tell others traveling in the opposite direction that trouble lies ahead. Maybe a RADAR trap, accident etc.

Now that I run with these

and these

people tend to not want to be in front of me any more, not even in the day time.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Flashing headlights are the universal signal that someone faster is coming up behind and you should move over. Works in nearly all places except NA which apparently is not part of the universe.
Rod
*ROFL* Yeah! :D It kinda just T's off the guy ahead of you, so when you do pass, he flashes his brights on you... LOL!!! ;)

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
My 13 has the flash to pass function and i thought all the 13's had this function.. I appreciate the newer bikes run with the headlights on all the time but the rocker switch that flips the lights to high beam also doubles as the flash to pass switch, by rocking it the other way or is this just on UK bikes..

DeSTy

King of the Bling
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
My 13 has the flash to pass function and i thought all the 13's had this function.. I appreciate the newer bikes run with the headlights on all the time but the rocker switch that flips the lights to high beam also doubles as the flash to pass switch, by rocking it the other way or is this just on UK bikes..
Same in AU.... Non-ABS had the little flash button in front of the left switch binnacle, ABS has the rocker switch which is two position, forward for high-beam and a momentary back position to flash high-beam.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The switchgear on North American bikes is different and doesn't have it.

--Mark

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Does anyone know if a left handlebar switch from a European ST 1300 can be retrofitted to a North American spec ST 1300 in order to gain the 'flash to pass' function that the European switch provides? In particular, does anyone know if such a retrofit would be 'plug and play', or if wiring changes such as moving pins around (or, worse, changing connectors) would be needed?

Michael

European Spec Left Handlebar Switch with Flash to Pass Function

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Your starter switch cuts power to the lights and runs the starter; and although I haven't kept it up for long, pressing it multiple times doesn't seem to do anything other than flash the lights.
Pressing the starter button doesn't do anything except cut off the headlamps if the bike is in gear and the clutch is engaged. This is probably a better way to get a drivers attention than flashing the high beams, although I've done that on occasion. I don't know about other states, but in Texas it's illegal to flash the high beams at another driver at night, not sure about doing it in daylight.
BTW, I'm not aware of any car, light truck, SUV or van since the early 1990's that doesn't have the FTP feature incorporated in the turn signal stalk.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I use my hazaard lights. People move to the right and begin to slow down really, really fast. Hmmm...don't know why?:D
Your front hazard lights aren't red are they? :D
A friend of mine pulled up to a neighborhood watering hole on his Harley a few days ago with red running lights next to the headlight. I asked him if he knew that they were illegal, but he didn't seem to be concerned. I had never noticed them before, so I wonder if they are amber lenses with amber bulbs inside them would they appear to be red when they're lit up? If he happens to get stopped by a local constable to be reminded of the "no red lights visible from the front of the vehicle" rule, I hope it doesn't happen while he's on his way home from the pub.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
My 05 came with a twist to pass.
Was reading through this thread and came across this post. Don't know why but it made me LOL, literally! :crackup

Thanks for that little chuckle Rick.

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
Does anyone know if a left handlebar switch from a European ST 1300 can be retrofitted to a North American spec ST 1300 in order to gain the 'flash to pass' function that the European switch provides? In particular, does anyone know if such a retrofit would be 'plug and play', or if wiring changes such as moving pins around (or, worse, changing connectors) would be needed?

Michael

European Spec Left Handlebar Switch with Flash to Pass Function
I am sure your answer will lie with comparing the wiring diagrams for the European and American versions of the bike, but unfortunately I cannot help with either.

Bike
Vstrom 650
I never see anyone use the 'flash to pass' we use it over here when we meet a friend on the road mostly,as a way of saying hello,
or some people use it to warn other road users that there is a speed trap or checkpoint up ahead,I'd never do that of course!!

Top Bottom