Miss my Flash to Pass Switch

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Same in AU.... Non-ABS had the little flash button in front of the left switch binnacle, ABS has the rocker switch which is two position, forward for high-beam and a momentary back position to flash high-beam.
As Mark mentioned, bikes sold in North America don't have this feature fitted. North American bikes also don't have the HISS (Anti-theft system) fitted, and bikes sold in the USA are not equipped with a toolkit.

This kind of 'de-contenting' is common on all vehicles sold in North America. For example, the majority of cars sold in North America are not fitted with a rear foglight, or with a first aid kit.

Michael

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Does anyone know if a left handlebar switch from a European ST 1300 can be retrofitted to a North American spec ST 1300 in order to gain the 'flash to pass' function that the European switch provides?
Dunno about the wirings, but the ergos of that "newly designed" PASS switch on the ST1300 are just plain BS and the designer/bean counters responsible should be hung by their balls... :evil:

I need/use the PASS often/primarily in dangerous situations, in distress I need to pull the clutch + press horn + grasp the PASS in one quick instant with my left hand... which works perfectly with the switch setup on my "ancient" ST1100 where the PASS button is conveniently operated with the index finger... that's how its supposed to be...

I pointed this significant error out to some Japanese Honda engineers during the EC presentation of the ST1300 at the Euro Disney in Paris back in 2001 (I kid you not in this! Also the engineers of Honda AuSTria just shook their head in disbelieve once I pointed out and demonstrated that issue to them)... apparently without any success... :shrug2:

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING ???!!!

The PASS is also used for communication in many other situations, like when I signal a pedestrian that I'll let him pass on the Xing, having the clutch lever pulled due slowing down/stopping, gear changing required, etc...
Same towards a car whom I'm slowing down/stop for so he/she can turn left, or pull out an exit, etc...
I also use the PASS to express acknowledgement/thanx if other driver yield to let me make a turn, pull out an exit, again a situation I need to operate/hold the clutch simultaneously...

But even with my rather big hands I simply cannot operate the clutch lever and move my thumb up to the very top of the ST1300 switch-pod to push that dumb PASS button there, especially in a situation I need the horn in the very same moment over some BD cell user pulling our right in front of me... that's just physiologically impossible, I'd need to grow a sixth finger for that !!!

Sorry for the rant, but that design is just plain stupid !!!
What's next? A shift lever behind the driver's seat ???

Bike
Vstrom 650
:plus1: The new set up they have where the switched the horn and indicator positions is also stupid IMO,and the self cancelling indicator set up is also causing problems, cancelling too early or not at all from what I've read on other forums,also had first hand experience on a test ride on a crossrunner and I hit the horn button a few times by accident,
they had the design perfect,same as the 5th gen vfr engine,why do they mess with things that aren't broken? then refuse to acknowledge their mistakes?

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
Dunno about the wirings, but the ergos of that "newly designed" PASS switch on the ST1300 are just plain BS and the designer/bean counters responsible should be hung by their balls... :evil:

I need/use the PASS often/primarily in dangerous situations, in distress I need to pull the clutch + press horn + grasp the PASS in one quick instant with my left hand... which works perfectly with the switch setup on my "ancient" ST1100 where the PASS button is conveniently operated with the index finger... that's how its supposed to be...

I pointed this significant error out to some Japanese Honda engineers during the EC presentation of the ST1300 at the Euro Disney in Paris back in 2001 (I kid you not in this! Also the engineers of Honda AuSTria just shook their head in disbelieve once I pointed out and demonstrated that issue to them)... apparently without any success... :shrug2:

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING ???!!!

The PASS is also used for communication in many other situations, like when I signal a pedestrian that I'll let him pass on the Xing, having the clutch lever pulled due slowing down/stopping, gear changing required, etc...
Same towards a car whom I'm slowing down/stop for so he/she can turn left, or pull out an exit, etc...
I also use the PASS to express acknowledgement/thanx if other driver yield to let me make a turn, pull out an exit, again a situation I need to operate/hold the clutch simultaneously...

But even with my rather big hands I simply cannot operate the clutch lever and move my thumb up to the very top of the ST1300 switch-pod to push that dumb PASS button there, especially in a situation I need the horn in the very same moment over some BD cell user pulling our right in front of me... that's just physiologically impossible, I'd need to grow a sixth finger for that !!!

And the pass switch on the EU 1100 is in a great position however on some police ST1100 it was disconnected as a flash to pass switch and was used as the radio PTT button!!!

Top Bottom