• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Does 'failed' include one that was bad but never 'popped' ?

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
Like Mellow said... I had 2 (In a row) tires that had to be sent back due to "Bouncing" tire was out of round and wouldn't balance properly... (Front's)

STOC #
Don't know if we can say anything about them being statistically worse than other tires, but Dunlop should take care of any problems.

I'm on my 3rd set. No problems, yet.

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
Darn, I don't want to know this!!!! I just bought a new rear to try instead of the Z6. Love Metzlers but am not real happy with the no wear bar thing on the Z6. I haven't mounted it yet so there is still time to change.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I believe it's the fronts that are the major concern...

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I'm on my second set with about 7,000 miles and have had no problems. My first set I took off with about 6,000 miles to put the new set on for my trip to Wyoming and Colorado. They still have good life and I 'm saving them for backups. I have not had any problems with the Roadsmarts on the track or on the road. That being said - for my next set I will be trying the BT023's.

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
Darn, I don't want to know this!!!! I just bought a new rear to try instead of the Z6. Love Metzlers but am not real happy with the no wear bar thing on the Z6. I haven't mounted it yet so there is still time to change.
I had to get a Roadsmart rear while out on the road. I've had no problem with it and previously asked in other message threads if anyone had a problem with a rear and never got an answer. I'm pretty sure that the problem is only with the fronts.

Rgds, Ed

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I had a front that split and then separated internally on my ST1300. I could see the steel belts through the split and there was a space approximately 8" long between the belts and the tread layer around the circumference of the tire in both directions from the split.

It happened just a mile or so before my off ramp on my way to work so I made it to work with the tire still inflated, but it went flat in the parking lot due to some strands of the steel belt puncturing the inner liner. The handling was quite scary after the failure I must say.

I contacted Dunlop but only received a disinterested reply telling me to return it to the dealer I bought the tire from for inspection. Since I won the tires at WeSTOC in Taos '08, I had no dealer to send it to and finally just threw it out. I think it only had about 6K miles and plenty of tread on it when it failed.

The rear went another thousand or so before suffering a road hazard puncture and I used that as an excuse to remove it. No failure of the rear tire in my experience, the fronts seem to be the main issue.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I assume that the options really are as follows? (I have run Dunlops, just not the Roadsmart).
Dunlop Roadsmart Failed
Dunlop Roadsmart survived
Have never run Dunlop Roadsmart and never will.

TIA.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
If this is a poll that's supposed to root-out a potentially life-threatening problem, perhaps it should be delivered in a more professional manner. I don't understand the intent of your four choices, other than to be funny.

I doubt engineers at Dunlop will take too seriously a poll that has, "Who's up for Pie?" as one of the choices. And, "Dunlop Survived" and "Dunlop Failed" are ambiguous choices to say the least.

Maybe better choices for those who have purchased the tires would be:
1) I've had Roadsmarts that failed in the manner described
2) I've had Roadsmarts, but no problems with them

And, maybe a second poll to all of the membership could read:
1) This reported problem has influenced my decision to purchase Dunlop tires in the future
2) This reported problem will not effect my future purchase of Dunlop tires

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
If this is a poll that's supposed to root-out a potentially life-threatening problem, perhaps it should be delivered in a more professional manner. I don't understand the intent of your four choices, other than to be funny.

I doubt engineers at Dunlop will take too seriously a poll that has, "Who's up for Pie?" as one of the choices. And, "Dunlop Survived" and "Dunlop Failed" are ambiguous choices to say the least.

Maybe better choices for those who have purchased the tires would be:
1) I've had Roadsmarts that failed in the manner described
2) I've had Roadsmarts, but no problems with them

And, maybe a second poll to all of the membership could read:
1) This reported problem has influenced my decision to purchase Dunlop tires in the future
2) This reported problem will not effect my future purchase of Dunlop tires
Very true... There's no reason it can't be the same poll w/multiple choice answers... Maybe you haven't had any issues but the ones reported still would influence your buying the tires... you'd see a higher number of 'influence my buying decision' than 'failures' which would signify lost revenue.. .

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Or another option...

Dunlops sucked way before Roadsmarts and I still won't spend my hard earned money on them.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Or another option...

Dunlops sucked way before Roadsmarts and I still won't spend my hard earned money on them.
+1! My bike had Dunlop D220's on it when I got it. That was enough Dunlop for me. I'll never buy another for my bike, car, lawnmower, bicycle, or scooter chair when I'm sent to an old folks home!

Spike

SpikeST
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
My $.02 worth -

17,000 miles on my '06 with two sets of Dunlops, no problems with either - Factory set was the 220's or something like that, second set are the RoadSmarts and are defect free -

About ready to replace them, before next year's riding season but undecided on what to buy - From what I've read, every tire manufacturer puports their product to be the best, however I do not see any clear winner or better performing / lasting tire than another -

I'll probably buy RoadSmarts again, the price is right and to reitereate, no issues here - Then again, should an issue arise, I'll change brands in a heartbeat...

Life is too short for crappy tires -

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
I jumped when the BT021 came on the market, what a mistake that was, only got 7k. I went with PR2's and now at over 10k and still looking good. I will wait and see what happens with the Roadsmarts, but still will not buy. Maybe the next greatest tire ever from them will get me to change my mind, NOT

:bigpop:

Top Bottom