Dunlop Roadsmart failure poll

Dunlop Roadsmart failure poll

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Front end started to bounce.......... Remembered the warning posts

Could it happen to my Tire...... Yep 12'' bubble and delamination.

This tire was excellent for wear and handling up to this moment.

OP
OP
Two Brothers

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
If this is a poll that's supposed to root-out a potentially life-threatening problem, perhaps it should be delivered in a more professional manner. I don't understand the intent of your four choices, other than to be funny.

I doubt engineers at Dunlop will take too seriously a poll that has, "Who's up for Pie?" as one of the choices. And, "Dunlop Survived" and "Dunlop Failed" are ambiguous choices to say the least.

Maybe better choices for those who have purchased the tires would be:
1) I've had Roadsmarts that failed in the manner described
2) I've had Roadsmarts, but no problems with them

And, maybe a second poll to all of the membership could read:
1) This reported problem has influenced my decision to purchase Dunlop tires in the future
2) This reported problem will not effect my future purchase of Dunlop tires
Thump this poll is for my info. I have no intent to take it to Dunlop. They already have their figure. I was told that there was only 14 or 15 tires that failed. I think its more than this. My apologies for the pie humor.

I take this very serious, it's my business. I try to give the customer the best feedback I can. The last thing I want to read about is a member going down because of this.

I think we already know this problem has influenced the desicions on these tires. Our sales of Roadsmarts have went to zero. I have expressed this to the Dunlop reps everytime I talk to them in person or on the phone.

They intend to find out what the problem is and win back the business. I went thru three customer service reps before getting someone who would listen. I'll go thru ten more if thats what it takes to find out the problem.

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
Here's to you Tim....:beer3:

Way before I got my PR2's, I considered the Dunlops, but early reading on this site changed my mind. (IMHO)

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Tim, Just want to say thanks for looking out for us! When your Roadsmart sales go to zero. That should tell Dunlop something! 14 or 15 problems. I think thats Bull!

Bike
2006 st1300a
When its time for me to buy tires,meaning the factory bridgestones wear out,im going to see if the michelin road piolit 2 is available.my 06'st1300 still has the factory tires and at 5,700 miles now it still looks great

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I had two sets. They were really great tires. Until that big chunk came off the (second) front tire sixty miles from home. In this age of frivolous lawsuits and personal injury lawyers advertising on TV I can understand caution on Dunlop's part. Still I'm put off by the response that I received when I e-mailed details of my problem. My concern wasn't getting a free replacement, it was the fact that someone could actually be injured due to their faulty product. Mistakes are understandable; not addressing them is unacceptable. Dunlop's customer service and public relations skills seem to be even worse than their tire manufacturing abilities. I'll never buy another RoadSmart because they're crap; I'll likely not buy anything else from Dunlop because of their crappy attitude.

Bike
2005 ST1300
My front bubbled out at about 9,500 miles on them with a ten inch long bulge, with very good performance up till then. Went with Michelin PR2, very happy with the "comfort/compliance road feel" as compared to the last "road feel feed back" with a lot less as far as comfort is concerned.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
So that's 13 reported so far. You think maybe it's more than 15 affected, unlike what Dunflop says??:bsflag:

Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
Hmmm....

I had a rear puncture on the OEM Dunlops at 2500KM...went to Roadsmarts, and now with 7500KM on these, I have noticed that the center of the front tire has a flat strip all around the circumference, approx 1 inch in width...not much tread left there...

Most of my miles are highway, so first though was over inflation...now I am thinking the rubber is too soft in the center??? I just don't know...but that is the first time I have seen that on a tire...and I am just trying to run out the season and change next year...

btw...the rear is holding up just fine...and this is going to be backwards...1 rear for ever 2 fronts...

brian

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Hmmm....

I had a rear puncture on the OEM Dunlops at 2500KM...went to Roadsmarts, and now with 7500KM on these, I have noticed that the center of the front tire has a flat strip all around the circumference, approx 1 inch in width...not much tread left there...

Most of my miles are highway, so first though was over inflation...now I am thinking the rubber is too soft in the center??? I just don't know...but that is the first time I have seen that on a tire...and I am just trying to run out the season and change next year...

btw...the rear is holding up just fine...and this is going to be backwards...1 rear for ever 2 fronts...

brian
The center part should be the harder rubber. If it feels mushy, it may be getting ready to delaminate or bubble on you.

8-BALL

GeriatricMutantNinja Norwegian
Bike
ST1300 - NT700
STOC #
Bought 2 sets of Roadsmarts at the same time in 2007 before the word was out. 10K on the first set with no problems, 5K on the second set with no problems so far. Will try Michelin and 2 Bros. next.

Dave C. :8):

EDIT: No problems but .... had the second front tire replaced by independent dealer per Dunlop recall procedure. 9JUN2011.

Last edited:
Bike
2003 ST1300
Just this past weekend. Bubbled front and a split in the tread after the bubble popped with 4000 miles or less on the tire. Happy with them up to that point, but have ordered a BT023 as replacement. I've had plenty of Dunlops over the years and have generally been satisfied with them.

Bike
GL1800
Darn, I don't want to know this!!!! I just bought a new rear to try instead of the Z6. Love Metzlers but am not real happy with the no wear bar thing on the Z6. I haven't mounted it yet so there is still time to change.
The best mileage I ever got out of a rear VFR tire was on the Roadsmart.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Front Roadsmart has a bubble about the size of my palm at 5K, and previous to the failure I was experiencing the heavy steering issue also. This is my second set of Roadsmarts, I was very happy with the first set, but I will be trying something else next. I am pretty sure there is more than 15 failures out there. I know another fella that has had the same problem but does not do the web stuff. Old Timer you might say.
Greg

Top Bottom