Dunlop Roadsmart failure poll

Dunlop Roadsmart failure poll

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I voted never ran Dunlop never will. That isn't 100% true. I ran them on my 1100 but they were horrible in the rain. I switched to Avons and was happy. Since this thread is mainly for the 1300. I have never run them on my 1300 and never will. Last set was PR2 and current is BT023. I will probably do another BT023 rear, then switch both to PR2.

I voted. I'm a Dunlop Surviver!

So far I have used 2 sets of OEM Dunlops that had to be replaced at 6,000miles, 2 sets of Roadsmarts that were good for 7,000 miles before hitting the wear bars.

I have been really happy with the Roadsmart tires I have used. They were a huge improvement over the OEM tires. At 6,000 the OEM tires were badly cupped and the front had almost a triangle shape. The Roadsmarts at takeoff still had good shape and no cupping.

I have just mounted my third set and will be keeping a close eye on them. Even though I have had good luck, it would be careless to ignore the experience of the Members.

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I've had 3 sets of Roadsmarts now. Never a problem. They've all worn really well and evenly. Most recent set was just before my 9,800 mile trip that just ended. Wet traction is excellent. Rode in lots of rain and never felt any loss of traction. There's lots of life left in this current set. They're a bit squared off in the middle from all the highway miles but good otherwise.

First set lasted 13.7k miles. Second set, rear was at the wear bars at 7.5k miles and I replaced both F&R for this trip. I'll be well over 10k miles on this third set before it's gone.

YMMV

:06biker: :06biker: :06biker:

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I didn't vote as my answer wansn't a choice. Also, I don't have a 1300 so maybe don't qualify here.

I used to buy the bias K591 for the rear, CHEAP, $80 for an 8000 mile tar was economical and the dang thang works. You can still buy'em, but they're branded HD and cost $200 at yur local shop.

Tim, can you get those cheaper. :D

I'm an Avon fan, but run the Bridgestone 020 bias on the rear 'cause it runs 15,000 miles and it works just fine in wet 'n dry. The 160/70/17 size will/does work fine on a 1300 too if yur touring more than sportin (sT). Jus' sayin'.

Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Well it happened to me yesterday, my RoadSmart front also failed, an 8" long,by 2" wide blister right in the center of the tire. Thank God I was close to home.
No more Dunslop's for me. I just ordered the new Pirelli Angels, let's hope for the best.

Ps. had great ride in the north viewing the Fall colors with Rayzerman leading, good job Dad:D

Bike
ST
Just spoke with Tim about my third Road smart. First set , no problem, great milage and handling.

Last week I was going to meet my brother and ride Va. 311. I made it to the W. Va /Va. border when I experienced tread separation. We were able to deflate the blister and limp home to the Ohio River (250 miles)

I guess this makes me no 21.

Paul:biker:

STOC #
I think we will have more failures than good tires.
I've had two rears and one front with no failure; however, the front wore out faster than I have had on other tires.

Also, remember you will be more likely to see negative replies than positive ones. That being said, I need a new set of tires. Don't think I'll be buying Roadsmarts. Recommendations?

I've had TWO front Roadsmart tires fail. On each tire I had 2 3" delamination (blisters) along the center tread of the tire. On each occasion I had about 5K on the tire with normal wear. I've ran Dunlops on my bike from day one. D205's, D220's and the Roadsmart. I have been very pleased with the tire performance...until now. The local rep in southern California (Mission Motorsports in Irvine CA) advised me " I have never seen or hear of any such problem with the Roadsmart". This happened to me TWICE!!! I am completely done with Dunlop. There is something very wrong with the Roadsmart FRONT tires. I just put a new set of BT 023's on. Only 200 or so miles on them. I'll post any concerns as I break them in.

Ride safe and take care!

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
I too voted never have and never will, which if I remember right they where ran on my 1985 Goldwing without issues. But that was 25 years ago, damn I'm getting old :wink:

:bk13:

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I received an email from NSTB/DOT in response to my complaint. I'll post up the info. I hope something gets done!! Has anyone else gotten a follow up from the NSTB or DOT?

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Letter body....

Dear Consumer: NVS-216rr

As a follow-up to your report to the Vehicle Safety Hotline (VSH), we have recorded your information on the enclosed Vehicle Owner’s Questionnaire (VOQ) form. Please review the form and make changes, additions and corrections as necessary. Additionally, please provide a more detailed description of the failures(s) you reported that you believe relevant to safety. Also, if available, include copies of repair invoices, letters to the manufacturer, or any other document related to the problem(s) you reported. If a crash or fire occurred, include a copy of the police or fire department report.
It is helpful to be as thorough as possible in your report so that our ability to use your report will be maximized. If you do not have the information, it is not necessary to complete all the boxes. However, it is very difficult to identify the scope of a vehicle problem unless the vehicle identification number (VIN) is known. The VIN is located inside the vehicle on the dashboard adjacent to the left (driver’s side) of the windshield pillar and on the drivers’ door or the driver’s door jam. It may also be listed on a dealer repair invoice or your insurance or registration cards. When reporting a tire problem, the brand name, tire line and complete tire size should be included. Be certain to provide the DOT tire identification number. It is usually located near the rim flange of the tire on either side of the tire.
We do not make your personal information (name, address, phone numbers, etc.) available to the general public. However, if we open an investigation that involves your vehicle, we will provide the manufacturer of your vehicle with a complete copy of your report. The information you provide may assist the manufacturer and NHTSA in determining if a safety-related defect exists.
Any information provided is entirely voluntary. There is no consequence or penalty of any kind if you do not wish to provide it. We seek this information to develop both statistical and investigative evidence that will help identify potential safety related problems in vehicles or vehicle equipment, e.g., tires, child safety seats, jacks, etc.
When completed, please fold and staple or tape the form so that the pre-addressed portion of the form is on the outside. If a larger envelope is used, tape the VOQ form to the larger envelope so that the pre-addressed portion of the form is showing.
If further assistance is needed, please contact the VSH at their toll-free number, 1-888-327-4236.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,
Randy Reid Chief Correspondence Research Division Office of Defects Investigation Enforcement
Enclosure: VOQ

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Here's a PDF of the report that I'm supposed to add detail to.....

I gave the info over the phone....and the person taking the info wasn't the best at taking the information. I'll add a lot and photos as well.

If you've had a Dunlop Roadsmart fail...get the info to the NTSB so we can get this tire off the road.

Forest

Attachments

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
IMG00569.jpg

Does this count as a Tire failure? This happened at 75 MPH in the middle of New Mexico on my way to California at 7am. Its a hell of a way to wake up. Luckily everything was fine and I remained upright!
:bow1::bow1:

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
Does this count as a Tire failure? This happened at 75 MPH in the middle of New Mexico on my way to California at 7am. Its a hell of a way to wake up. Luckily everything was fine and I remained upright!
:bow1::bow1:
Holy Smokes.......glad your OK!

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Dang, and I thought mine looked bad. Good thing you stayed upright. I don't think I've heard of any who crashed as a result of this, but it's awfully inconvenient when it happens out of town. I only had to haul my ST sixty miles to get home. (Nice to have a pickup and a good-natured brother-in-law.)

v8-7

Site Supporter
V2, of all the things that could have gone wrong, it's amazing nothing did.

Did the date codes on that tire fall under the recall notice ?

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Sadly I didn't learn there was one until after the whole ordeal. Guess I should have tuned in here before the trip! :banghead::banghead:

Top Bottom