Dunlop Roadsmart Update

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
My "bad" tire is pretty good. :) I thought that since it handled desert heat at speed for the PO when it was new, and had as much weight slinging around as possible, I would go ahead and finish wearing it out. I just did that by doing 1750 miles yesterday and today. It is done now, and I don't feel bad about the new one Dunlop gave me either. ;) Thanks again Tim!

STOC #
My front tire went bad about 5 weeks ago.
I called dunflop and they arranged to have a tire and a check sent to my local shop.
The shop received the tire about 4 days later and installed it for me but they STILL HAVE NOT received the check.
I called dunflop again and left a message still waiting on a reply.

Anyone else have any payment issues???

v8-7

Site Supporter
That payment is between Dunlop and your dealer .

It "shouldn't" have anything to do with you .

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
The payment, for me.....was directly from Dunlop. I did have to wait about a month (post receiving my replacement tire). The Dunlop representitive advised me that the check would "follow" the tire by as much as a month...and it did finally come.

The tire was manufactured in 08. The Dunlop rep said there were a "few" bad tires from 07 and 08 with delamination issues and mine was one of them. They shipped the bad tire to my dealer and paid for the mounting. When the tire blew, the loose cords cut up my front fender ($$$). I didn't get replacement costs for that, but I didn't push it. I'm currently running the replacement and am confident, because of the liabilities, that the problem has been fixed.

I was lucky to have survived this incident. The ST1300 is a wonderful bike, but with a blown front tire at 60+ mph, it's a big, violent 700 lb pig. I had quite a rodeo for a few seconds there.

Bike
2020 Tracer 900GT
STOC #
Received a new front Roadsmart and a $60 check to cover installation. Rob from Dunlop was very easy to deal with.

Amoreno

Alex Moreno
Bike
2004 St 1300
I developed a bubble in the front tire-please do not buy this Dunlop Roadsmart if you value your life,It took me 8 hours to get home doing 30 miles per hour from Daytona and thank GOD i made it home alive.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I developed a bubble in the front tire-please do not buy this Dunlop Roadsmart if you value your life,It took me 8 hours to get home doing 30 miles per hour from Daytona and thank GOD i made it home alive.
Can you let us know the date code on the tire? It would be nice to know if this is an older or newer tire, thanks and glad you're okay.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
I hate it when l run across threads like this one. You see, I bought my '07 ST last June and knew nothing about this issue with the Roadsmarts. So l just checked, and of course, my front tire DOT # ends in 08. Nothing like being a day and a dollar short.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
That's too bad. Try to be glad that you have a good one tho and it has not caused you any problems. I had a full set on a bike I picked up and wore it out.
You may want to think about getting a new one based on age tho. Don't know for sure what the limit is but I would feel better if it were me.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Bigmak96, that's what l'm thinking, too. As it is these tires are in good shape (and lots of tread left), but after reading about the failures l'm uncomfortable leaving them on.

Another unplanned expense...it's my year for them.

OP
OP
Two Brothers

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
Bigmak96, that's what l'm thinking, too. As it is these tires are in good shape (and lots of tread left), but after reading about the failures l'm uncomfortable leaving them on.

Another unplanned expense...it's my year for them.
Call them I think they are still standing behind the bad tires, if the date is wrong. I would give you their number but I'm on the road. Hope it helps.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Thanks. I'll give them a call.

FYI. I was at my local motorcycle store checking out new tires. I am very interested in the new Dunlop Roadsmart 2. Upon checking, found that I could get the fronts, but the rears won't be available before August 2nd. AND, my local dealer says, that tire prices have been going up about $5 per month. As for the Dunlop Roadsmart 2's, when the rears are finally available, the prices will be different than today.

So, I picked up a pair of Michelin PR 3's instead.

Top Bottom