Dunlop Roadsmart Update

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
I like in the letter how they say a SMALL number of complaints ! Well at least now they do acknowledge a problem and are doing right ! About time !

MIKE

Bike
2006 ST1300
The only good thing with my blister was it was at the end of the tread life. If it was on the rear I'd be less disturbed, being the front I won't buy Dunlop ANYTHING again.

Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I just stopped by the local bike shop to set up an appointment to have my rear tire done. The owner informed me about the recall. I still have the old front tire. This will be my second set. The front failed at 11,275 miles and the rear is at about 12,000 miles. I am very happy with the wear and the performance of these tires. I hope they have this issue fixed.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Well I've still got my old tire lying around and it IS a free tire plus $60, I geuss I'll call.

Bike
2005 ST1300PA
STOC #
I called Dunlop and received good service. They verified the serial number on the tire, confirmed it was part of the Customer Satisfaction program and shipped a new tire to the local dealer of my choice. The dealer put the new tire on at my convenience with no hassles. I had a little over 5K miles on the tire, but didn't want to take the chance that it could go bad. Now I have a brand new tire. No complaints here.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It's been a while and I haven't seen any new issues so hopefully, Dunlop has fixed the issues.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
It's been a while and I haven't seen any new issues so hopefully, Dunlop has fixed the issues.
I work for the City of Lompoc and they are using the Roaadsmarts on the Police ST's here with no problems. The officers like the tires and say they get more miles out of them then other brands of tires that they have tried.

Bike
ST1300
K, here's my story and I'm "sticking" to it.

So I read ALL the posts here (OK not ALL but a lot). I settled on the Metz' Z8 for my ST. I found out that ALL (this time I mean ALL) 120/70 18's are GONE, SOLD (diddley) OUT of EVERYWHERE! WILL NOT BE MAKING ANYMORE UNTIL A NEW TIRE is versioned PER METZELER!!!

The ONLY way you can find a 18 Z8 is by calling tire warehouses directly and asking them to visually check their stock and literally put their hands on a tire. I did this for 8 straight hours with NO LUCK!

You can STILL get the REAR tire (currently on back order but coming to the states in mid June) but what good is that, unless it's a replacement, or you have a bike other than a ST with a 17" front .

So for ANYONE interested in Metzeler's I WAS able to dig up NEW tires (in stock in a brick and motar store) through eBay. I was able to get the Z6, not the Z6 Interact just the older Z6. I also went up a size in the rear to: 180/55, I'll report back on how that worked out.

Peace!
Keep the rubber side down boys!

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Hi, I'm Mark and I am new to the Roadsmart support group.:) I just noticed that the 01 I just got has an effected tire on the front. Now to start the process. I will call them in the morning.
If I understand correctly, I will be getting a new tire and $60. No substitutions allowed.

8-BALL

GeriatricMutantNinja Norwegian
Bike
ST1300 - NT700
STOC #
Hey guys posted this Christmas day but I think it got lost in the upgrade.

It's an update that I received Christmas Eve.

I want to thank everybody that had problems and helped out returning tires and sending emails.

I'm not sure if anyone is still running these tires.

Hope it helps.
================================================================

Thanks T.B.

My local independent shop (Fenders in South Des Moines) did all the work after I gave them the letter so I am having my 4k tire replaced next week.

Thanks again to STowners and T.B.

:cool:

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Okay, I just read through all the post again to see if the rear was included. It is not mentioned in the letter from Dunlop but a couple guys mentioned their rear in this thread.
Has the rear been replaced for anyone here? I have a rear in the date range too.

Okay, I just read through all the post again to see if the rear was included. It is not mentioned in the letter from Dunlop but a couple guys mentioned their rear in this thread.
Has the rear been replaced for anyone here? I have a rear in the date range too.
No, Dunlop is just replacing the front tire.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Thanks 2 Brothers! I just got my free front tire. Dunlop insisted it get sent to a bike shop not to me so I used my local guy here. I didn't get the $60 from Dunlop since I told them I do my own mt. and balance. I just put a Shinko Verge on the front so it will be awhile till I mount the Dunlop.

I had a catastrophic failure on my front Roadsmart last Monday. I was in heavy traffic on the interstate with concrete construction barriers on both sides. Luckily, there was an exit within a couple of hundred yards but I had a wild ride getting the ST slowed down and off the road. I will be contacting Dunlop shortly. Incidentally, I religiously maintain 42 psi and the tire had 5.5K miles on it. I don't know how to insert a picture, but the tire blew and the missing chunks are about twice anything I've seen here.

1129VLD

"71David5"
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
I had a catastrophic failure on my front Roadsmart last Monday. I was in heavy traffic on the interstate with concrete construction barriers on both sides. Luckily, there was an exit within a couple of hundred yards but I had a wild ride getting the ST slowed down and off the road. I will be contacting Dunlop shortly. Incidentally, I religiously maintain 42 psi and the tire had 5.5K miles on it. I don't know how to insert a picture, but the tire blew and the missing chunks are about twice anything I've seen here.
Is the tire that blew is an older tire and not one of the replacements?

Please confirm.

Bike
2012 Gold Wing
STOC #

Please confirm.
I would like to know that as well. I have a brand new replacement on the shelf that until I am comfortable that it won't fail like my original did will continue collecting dust.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
If your blown tire is dated 07 or 08 it is in the "bad batch" Look for the DOT on the tire and the last two digits will be 07 or 08. if it is. it is covered by their recall
+100 that you got her stopped safely.

I have not gotten it put on yet but I have a replacement that Dunlop sent to my shop as mine was within the covered dates when it was manufactured.

Please confirm.
+1

Nice job getting the bike stopped safely. Could you have hit something on the road? Construction zones, at least in my area, can have some nasty things in them.:eek:

Top Bottom