ST1300 Rear Shock Recommendations

Bike
ST1300-A6
STOC #
Hi from Brexit-Blighty,

I know it's been a while since input on this but for what it's worth I've had a Hagon rear cushion/mono shock fitted to my '08 ST1300A6 for about a year now - massive improvement over the stock unit (which was well past it's day methinks). No leaks, has been fine.

I opted for the remote pre-load adjuster - only comment is that the bracket provided is not bespoke for the Pan so will need some modification or making up a bracket of your own to suit. I re-used the original pre-load mounting point with a bit of (ah-hem) manual modification to fit at a suitable angle.

I'm not a small chap (240lbs - ouch) however the standard spring is fine for me - uprated springs available; if you tell them your weight/requirements they will fit a suitable spring to suit.

The ability to re-build being a major plus point for me. Will let you know how that goes next year when I send mine away.

Ride safe all!!

Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
With RT rebuilding the stock rear shock, have I understood correctly that they actually cut the shock open to do this? And do they weld it shut or have some adapter that lets you take it back apart? Anyone have any pics of one that was done??

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I've had mine rebuilt twice by RT now and you can't tell by looking at it that's it's not stock. The gas charge valve added to the top is the only give away. I'm not sure how they open them up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've had mine rebuilt twice by RT now and you can't tell by looking at it that's it's not stock. The gas charge valve added to the top is the only give away. I'm not sure how they open them up.

Mike, how much were the rebuilds? I've been putting this off for too long.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
It was $225 in January of this year, but that was with me sending them the shock only. I had already removed preload and spring.

If I remeber correctly that also included return shipping.

Last edited:
Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
So that rebuild was just to go through it and change oil and nitro correct? Have you had the spring replaced the first time around, and did they install a set of collars with it? I saw one post of a replacement spring that looked like it was gonna pop off. What was the ruffly cost of a rebuild now with Gold Valves and a spring......if you had all that done.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
So that rebuild was just to go through it and change oil and nitro correct? Have you had the spring replaced the first time around, and did they install a set of collars with it? I saw one post of a replacement spring that looked like it was gonna pop off. What was the ruffly cost of a rebuild now with Gold Valves and a spring......if you had all that done.
This rebuild included seals, bushings, oil, and gas. The first rebuild was to install the gold valve. I'll have to look up that cost tonight when I get home. I had this done though about 4 years ago the first time, so I'm sure the prices have changed. Yes I did install a different spring the first time with their collar (spacer).

I ride 2 up about 50% of the time so the new spring and shock was a real improvement. I have ridden about 40k miles with the upgrade with zero issues.

I would suggest giving RT a call about the current cost for installing the Gold valve and upgrading the spring. I had mine done several years ago and played around with different spring rates since I ride 2 up 50% of the time. I have my own spring compressor, so didn't have initial the spring or preload unit installed by RT. I also wanted to rebuild the preload unit while they had the shock.

Last edited:
Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
I emailed Traxxion the other day and they say they can do the stock shock. This is what Dan from Traxxion said "We can rebuild, revalve and respring that shock for $360, including custom setup for your weight and riding style and dyno tuning." So I might really look into it. They're about a 100 miles down the road from me. I may make a phone call to double check.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Does anybody know the length of the rear shock? I assume most manufacturers measure eye to eye?

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
As I added on another thread, the standard Honda shock can be rebuilt here in the UK by MCT in Suffolk. They get very busy out of the winter period and waiting times up to 3 months are possible.

Top Bottom