ST1300 Hondaline Top Box Rack?

Bike
st1300
hi guys
I have seen honda top boxs with a little rack attached to it ..does anyone know where i grab one ..
or
who makes em...

john

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
This question has been asked a few times. Do a search and you will find some answers.
Short answer is that GIVI is the only one now making a rack to mount on a top box.

I hear you need to watch that one. Looks good to start but when you load them the top of the box cracks pretty badly around the bolt holes, even if you stick some wide washers on them.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Turbo Tom used to make them, I had one on my Hondaline. I used wide washers, rubber o-rings, and silicone to seal the holes for rain. I didn't have any issues using the rack. ;)

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
I have the givi rack fitted to my box and find it useful to a point, as saidtoo heavy a load will crack the box lid.

I have taken a few pic of the rack fitted to the lid.

Attachments

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
I found a rack I am happy with at Americade, at the Shad vendor. Only change in mounting was to use shallow cone-shaped 1" faucet washers between the standoffs and the top of the Hondaline case to spread any load and insure water tightness. About the only things we ever put on the rack are lightweight bulky items such as our Frog Togs rain suits, jacket liners removed during the course of the day, etc.
The aux. LED brakelights can be seen just above the bottom of the first pic, mounted on the lid clasp. They're powered by a pigtail plugged into a tankbag power connector I installed at the lower right front of the topbox. It's visible in the second pic just above the right corner of the passenger seat.

http://www.shad.es/en/shad-usa/products/cases/case-accessories/upper-rack/c10r126/

Good Ridin'
slmjim

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
You can mitigate some stress that leads to cracking by putting a vinyl washer between the top box lid and the metal washers....and be careful tightening the fasteners.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If I was rich enough and fortunate enough to have a Honda TB w/spoiler I probably wouldn't put a rack on it.

Without a spoiler I think a chrome rack adds a nice bit of style and utility. A light day bag/pack with immediately needed items like rain gear in uncertain weather could be handy.

It's probably a fair amount of work but a formed aluminum or steel plate on the underside of the box might be a big help. Honda reflects their pride in the price and getting replacement pieces can't be easy. Or cheap.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
If I was rich enough and fortunate enough to have a Honda TB w/spoiler I probably wouldn't put a rack on it.

Without a spoiler I think a chrome rack adds a nice bit of style and utility. A light day bag/pack with immediately needed items like rain gear in uncertain weather could be handy.

It's probably a fair amount of work but a formed aluminum or steel plate on the underside of the box might be a big help. Honda reflects their pride in the price and getting replacement pieces can't be easy. Or cheap.
When the ChatterBox alarm system turned off my ST last year on I-80 , and I wrecked the right side plastic , it also got my OEM top box lid . I had to buy the entire box again from the U.K. - no individual parts available.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

When on long trips I find the TB rack extremely handy. It won't take much weight, but you can put things on it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
All my camping is done at the Best Western hotel chain. My idea of roughing it is no WiFi. :)

The spoiler - well I looked for other ways of achieving the same result, but I wanted the high level brake and tail light.
If I were a rich man... I really like the ST top box for all the same reasons and it would be my first choice. The spoiler looks great and I'd tie its LED to my GRowe 3rd Brake Light and include a flasher as you did.

Now if Honda were to offer an LED anointed spoiler for the CTX top box I think I could swing that. In fact I don't think I could stop myself. :D

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I found some 3/8" chrome spacers to get the rack off the passenger's back rest pad top and some wide stainless fender washers to go under that , epoxied the spacers to the rack standoffs. Found out the 4 mounts did not sit completely down on a flat surface , 1 was up ~1/8 " , finally got that one down even with the other 3 - it would have tried to tweak the plastic tail trunk lid cock-eyed from the get-go w/ hole stress.
Now I'm down to deciding if it is better to have the "high tube" of the rack to the front or to the rear ; any recommendations from those that have an E96 ( or E81 ) GIVI rack or similar ?

Top Bottom