ST1300 Hondaline Top Box Rack?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If there only the one raised tube putting it at the back offers the benefit of setting something on it without it sliding off before you lash it down. It would also give some support and security for any payload against mounting G-forces if/when doing spirited launches.

The only down side if you can call it that might be that maybe it looks more "normal" with the high tube in the front. You might also run into an instance where the high tube in the back prevents you from carrying something larger that would otherwise cramp your pillion's style.

I'm lazy and might just want to set something (helmet or jacket) on the rack for a few minutes or hours while the bike is parked. Unless the rack is pretty level having the high tube in back would be my choice.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Nah, in the back is where they go, for the first thing you mentioned, for the take off, so it doesn't slide off!

TankbagNGPSMount2.jpg

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Well , I think I am going to have the raised bar at the back ; (1) Keep stuff from sliding off , maybe , in case of a bungee failure. (2) The GIVI rack shape , while meant for a GIVI case , matches the shape the best backwards on the ST1300 Honda OEM top case . (3) The lowest bar at the back then is more straight & I am thinking about a LED High stop light mounted down from that bar. (4) I don't have to worry about the passenger ( wife) on this bike because she doesn't like the ST because it reminds her of the '08 BMW R1200RT lemon that freaked her out with the poorly designed loose topcase when it was new. She still prefers the old GoldWing that wraps halfway around her.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Well , I think I am going to have the raised bar at the back ; (1) Keep stuff from sliding off , maybe , in case of a bungee failure. (2) The GIVI rack shape , while meant for a GIVI case , matches the shape the best backwards on the ST1300 Honda OEM top case . (3) The lowest bar at the back then is more straight & I am thinking about a LED High stop light mounted down from that bar. (4) I don't have to worry about the passenger ( wife) on this bike because she doesn't like the ST because it reminds her of the '08 BMW R1200RT lemon that freaked her out with the poorly designed loose topcase when it was new. She still prefers the old GoldWing that wraps halfway around her.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/57770/i/givi-e96-metal-top-case-rack

IMG_4267 c.jpg

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Bump. As I am looking to add to the Honda line top box.
ST1300 top boxes are getting few and far between. Out of production I imagine color selection also seems problematic. You have to keep your eyes peeled.

If you're not keen on having the LED spoiler (my only reason for wanting one) you might think about the Handling CTX top box. There's a great thread on it somewhere here.

TourNut said:
I think I am going to have the raised bar at the back
Old post yes. But even though I think the bar looks better at the front it's more functional at the back for the reasons you mentioned.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
" Old post yes. But even though I think the bar looks better at the front it's more functional at the back for the reasons you mentioned.[/QUOTE]"

Shape of rack seems to fit Honda Tail trunk also , Inside - I epoxied 2 " steel squares but rounded corners , to underside of lid for added surface area to prevent cracks & then covered squares & rounded Allen recess hexhead bolts with 3M double stick tape with black textured naugahyde to not abrade contents of tail Trunk.

IMG_5200 c.jpg

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
TourNut said:
Shape of rack seems to fit Honda Tail trunk also

THIS time I took a closer look and yes that rack looks like it's made to follow the lines of that trunk and even invokes the image of a spoiler! For me that would be a win-win.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #

THIS time I took a closer look and yes that rack looks like it's made to follow the lines of that trunk and even invokes the image of a spoiler! For me that would be a win-win.
a couple other views of it : IMG_5201 c.jpgIMG_5203 c.jpg & I turned on my brake lights for the pic

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You definitely make the right call on mounting the rack. It looks great from any angle. Those LEDs also look great. A nice clean look. Well done!

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I would have liked the GIVI rack to have been chrome , but that wasn't an option , silver or black , oh well !
I put a plasticized placemat on the rack when I use it , cut to shape so it's curled around the tubes so the ropes or straps or what's on the rack doesn't wreck the finish of the rack or tail trunk; ( feet spacers for extra gap )

Last edited:
Top Bottom