Changed my tires to BT20F OEM.

Bike
04 ST1300
I boght my bike with used 2004 with OEM tires, the rear is in good condition compared to the rear but both are good for 2000miles. I ordered and fitted new OEM tires and kept the old ones for emmergency.I encountered 2 problems.
1- I coldnt balance the tires as all the wheel blaancing shops can not run thier balancing rods through the wheel to mount it for balancing.So i install them without balancing and rode for 50 miles and they are great, no shakes. Can i just ride them, or do i have to find a way of balancing them.
2- I coldnt get moly paste for splines and FD, so i just mount back.

Thanks

Attachments

Bike
ST1100
STOC #
I would be looking hard to find Moly or similar and not worry too much much about the balance issue. Unbalanced wheels could ruin your tyres ungreased splines will ruin your day.
Get those splines greased up.

2005RedRider

Still ridin'
Bike
2014 Harley FLHTCU
I boght my bike with used 2004 with OEM tires, the rear is in good condition compared to the rear but both are good for 2000miles. I ordered and fitted new OEM tires and kept the old ones for emmergency.I encountered 2 problems.
1- I coldnt balance the tires as all the wheel blaancing shops can not run thier balancing rods through the wheel to mount it for balancing.So i install them without balancing and rode for 50 miles and they are great, no shakes. Can i just ride them, or do i have to find a way of balancing them.
2- I coldnt get moly paste for splines and FD, so i just mount back.

Thanks
1 - I say if you are not getting any bounce or vibration, then you don't need to do any further balancing.
2 - I would definitely get the moly paste for the splines. This is important.

Good luck,

Dale :)

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
As others said. The big issue you are faced with is the Moly Paste. You really need it. You can't use just any wheel bearing grease on this. You will destroy the splines on the rear wheel and in the rear diff.

OP
OP
Bike
04 ST1300
I would be looking hard to find Moly or similar and not worry too much much about the balance issue. Unbalanced wheels could ruin your tyres ungreased splines will ruin your day.
Get those splines greased up.
Thank you for timely and usefull advise as always. I have already ordered for 2 tubes of MOROSO 35000 MOLY PASTE, on Amazon hope its good. Do i have to clean the splines with gasoline and brush b4 apllication? and can i apply liberaly?

Thanks.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Thank you for timely and usefull advise as always. I have already ordered for 2 tubes of MOROSO 35000 MOLY PASTE, on Amazon hope its good. Do i have to clean the splines with gasoline and brush b4 apllication? and can i apply liberaly?

Thanks.
There is a specific spec that the paste needs to be. I think it needs to be 60% Molybdenum. The stuff on Amazon didn't state the content. So it might work, but if it doesn't contain enough Molybdenum it will be no better than axle grease.

As for cleaning it. Sure, you should be able to clean off the old stuff with gas. Try not to get it on the tire.

As far as how much to put on. I work it into the splines. No need to put a lot on there because it will work out and spray everywhere.

Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
One can easily make one's own balancer using a 3/4" threaded rod and a couple of coupler nuts that each have one end tapered. The rod can then be balanced on a set of skateboard bearings mounted in some angle iron. Total Cost is less than $15. Here's a picture of an early model I built using pipe.

Or one can purchase a Parnes balancing setup.

Re: lubing the spines, I'll third the imperative of doing that.

Bike
03 St1300A
LocTite Moly paste, 65% molybdenum disulfide. can be had through Amazon [ame="http://www.amazon.com/8-oz-Lubricant-Extreme-442-51048-Category/dp/B001HWBSJW"]Amazon.com: Moly Paste Model Code: AD - Price is for 1 Can (part# 51048): Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41mdQKymElL.@@AMEPARAM@@41mdQKymElL $21.99

Viggo

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
I've found that an old toothbrush works great to apply the moly. I have not been cleaning the splines before I add the new moly. Should I be? or is that just for those of us who are way more anal (no offense intended) about such things?

As for balancing, you can use the axle itself. I built a quick and easy static balancer out of wood that held the axle, copying something I saw on the net somewhere. No pics because I don't have it anymore.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I've found that an old toothbrush works great to apply the moly. I have not been cleaning the splines before I add the new moly. Should I be? or is that just for those of us who are way more anal (no offense intended) about such things?

As for balancing, you can use the axle itself. I built a quick and easy static balancer out of wood that held the axle, copying something I saw on the net somewhere. No pics because I don't have it anymore.
I use a rag to clean my splines. Nothing too crazy. I mainly mentioned I would do more aggressive cleaning if the wrong lube was used. If you have always been u sing Moly I don't see it as being as big of a deal to get all the old stuff off.

OP
OP
Bike
04 ST1300
This is an Up date on the OEM tire installed, been not riding the bike lately. Last week i took an 800miles ride, after the ride i insect the tires and observed that they were bumps at the centre of the front tire, this bums seem to be uniform at the centre tire. Could this be a balancing issue. I have not noticed any undue vibration on the ride.

OP
OP
Bike
04 ST1300
Thats the best solution Steves, but just remembered that i installed the Orange TPMS, with sensors inside the tire at valve head. Didn't know if the beads could damage the sensors.:confused:

Top Bottom