Article [13] ST1300 - Rostra Cruise Control Installation

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Can I Skip the Futaba Arm ?

I'm deep into my Rostra/GW switch install, just did the check procedure successfully, now ready to connect the cable to throttle drum.
I'm a bit nervous because with the Futaba arm installed, I only get 1/2 of the bolt to thread on. (Yes, I did file down the boss on the arm). Which makes me wonder:
Has anybody skipped using the Futaba arm, and used the loop cable (included from Rostra) directly on the throttle cable & drum ???

Looking at it, it just seems the better way to go - no worries about the arm catching or loosening.
Am I missing something here, has anyone else gone this route ??
Thoughts please ?

PS - How much cable slack did you use ?

Thanks!

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Re: Can I Skip the Futaba Arm ?

Can I Skip the Futaba Arm ?
You can but no use. File it down as in the instructions and put the nut on as tight as you can without stripping it out, which is easy to do. Once it is on I took a small amount of JB weld and put it on the nut and shaft, and then on the arm and spool where they meet. I never plan on it coming off but if it really had to i could get it off. I will look for a photo if I have one. An alternative is to make your own arm off the pattern of the futaba arm with thin aluminum plate. I have seen that done as well.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I made my own arm and cut a hole to fit the shaft. Don't remember feeling uneasy about it possibly coming off.

Yes, you want to use the arm. It provides leverage but more importantly it tames the open/closing of the throttle. Without the extension you would be riding a bucking bronco of a steed. :twist1:

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
OK Gents, advice received and appreciated....
Using the arm, with JB Weld insurance.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
I installed mine lower than in this article and with the cable pointed horizontally, but I don?t know if Honda speakers will fit.
How does this install position work, that space is taken up with the left side lockable fairing pocket.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
On the finishing straight with my install, only the throttle connection left to do, I took a lot of time planning the wiring and making the installation as tidy as I could.

Many thanks to those who have gone before, no way I'd have attempted this without the knowledge here, great job altexst1300 also special thanks to cdnemsguy for local help and Juan's wiring diagram, I created a physical diagram I'll post soon.

Attachments

Last edited:

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
I've spent about $400CDN, that's probably less than 300USD, the cost is small compared with the time investment, mine has been huge but then I'm pretty detailed and this stuff isn't my stock and trade.

Last edited:

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
My Rostra CC somehow lost its cable slack last weekend and left me having to cope with a 3000rpm idle, I've inspected the cable connection to the throttle body and nothing has moved or come loss but the cable is now shorter lifting the throttle of the stop and holding the engine at 3000rpm, anyone else experienced this issue?

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Nothing here. If you d/c the cable from the arm, does it move freely full range? Maybe a total d/c the battery and therefore the system to try. Nothing like that before to my ears.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Has any one wired the clutch safety switch . to disengaged the Rostra when the clutch is pulled
I did on my '96 NH750ST. Worked perfectly with mo modification. I even wired a tiny relay to cancel the cruise when I hit the center switch on the control switch pod I used.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Yes I did as per the instructions and it works fine, why would anyone not do this?

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I'm having a small wiring issue, and I can't seem to find anyone else who has asked this question.

I have everything wired up with my Rostra except for the red 12+ "hot side" brake wire and the purple "cold side" wire. On the last bike I had this CC installed (an old Gold Wing), there was a brake relay that I connected the leads to so that either front or rear brake application would shut off the cruise.

Unless I'm missing something, the ST1300 doesn't appear to have a brake relay... or does it? I've stared at my wiring schematic until I'm cross-eyed.

I can't figure out what wires I can tap in to. I'm using the stock brake levers etc. (not a Gold Wing switch cluster), and it seems like this thread is focused mostly on the GW hardware.

Can anyone tell me where I can tap the Rostra's brake leads into?

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I think you can go to either the front or rear brake light switch. One side is hot with the key on and one side is ground, red to hot and purple to ground. I have not done this so maybe someone can verify this.

Top Bottom