Article [13] ST1300 - Rostra Cruise Control Installation

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
Re: ST1300 Rostra Cruise Control Installation

Thanks for the info I ordered the divider yesterday. Why are you cutting off the capacitor and how did you know to cut it out? Nice idea with the gold wing switch Ive always used the dashmount switch and find a suitable location for mounting

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #

I finished the installation of the Rostra cruise control using the Gold Wing backlit control. A big thanks to altest1300 for his great instructions. He used the non-backlit control in his instructions. With the backlit control, some of the wire colors have changed from Al?s instructions.

Here are the updated wire colors and parts:

Gold Wing backlit control #35130-MCA-A21 from a 2005 Gold Wing. $137.85 from Hondaparts online.

Hook up 12V with a 4 amp fuse to the Black w/Yellow wire on the Gold Wing switch.

The Black w/Green wire hooks up to the Rostra Red/Brown wire.

The White w/Yellow wire hooks up to the Dark Green Rostra wire.

The White w/Blue wire hooks up to the Yellow Rostra Wire.

The Brown Rostra wire needs to be hooked up to a 10 amp switched circuit. I used a relay that is turned on by power from the Quartet Harness.

In the dipswitch settings, Al?s instructions state that switch 12 is in the ?ON? position. The backlit switch is an open circuit switch, so number 12 needs to be in the OFF position.

The Rostra Blue Tach wire gets hooked up to the Blue w/Yellow coil wire. I just made a pig tale so I did not have to cut the coil wire.

To get the backlights to work, I ran switch power from the Quartet harness and hooked it up to the Light Green w/Black wire. This wire also had red squares on it. The solid dark green wire needs to be grounded. Now the backlights will work when the key is on.

If you want to use the Reverse Shift Switch to turn on and off Aux lights, you will use the Yellow w/White and Brown w/Green squares. I ran keyed power from the Quartet Harness to the Yellow/white and hooked the Brown wire to my Moto light relay.

If you have any LED?s for brake lights, you will need to put a relay in to get a good ground for the Rostra Violet wire. Wires to hook up to the relay: #85 to brake negative (+12v when brake is pressed), #86 to ground, #87 not used, 87A Rostra violet wire, #30 to ground.

Below is a photo of what the Gold Wing switch looks like with the lights on.

Attachments

MileHigh

Juvenile delinquent
Bike
2006 ST
STOC #

An update. January, 2009

I just purchased a Centrodyne Y060 pulse divider and, found the circuit board is arranged slightly different than the one pictured in altexst1300's original article instructions.

Altexst1300 just PM'd me and, the correct capacitor to clip on the newer board is still the C8. It is the blue one. See new image below.

If you receive an older board like the one pictured in the article, the correct capacitor to clip is the C8. The arrow in the original article illustration is slightly off and, appears to be pointing towards C2.

Last edited:
Bike
Honda ST1300

To view this article, click on the link to the attached PDF file.

Rostra cruise control installation by altexst1300.
In these instructions, under order of installation, you request that we install a "Turbo City fuel pressure regulator" (Optional). I take it that you mean to say that this would be the time to install this device because you have everything apart. Is this a regular part that ST owners install? Does the Rostra cruise work better with this vs. the stock one? Probably a dumb question, I just wonder why you have it in there.
I will be installing my cruise in about 2 months time. Thanks for this great guide. Well done.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #

You are right, This is a good time to put one in if you want to with the air box out. The FPR got rid of the flat spot I had at around 4000 RPM.

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
East Central Illinois... 12 miles from Moonshine..
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS

Man,,, I would buy Moonburgers and beverages of your choice if I could get this set up on my ST...

I get sweaty palms just thinking about that!!!

I know I am not in any way,,, shape or form able to tackle this set up...

st13fundred

Blue:The color of which place?
Bike
'04 ST13A

Is this a regular part that ST owners install? Does the Rostra cruise work better with this vs. the stock one? ...I will be installing my cruise in about 2 months time. Thanks for this great guide. Well done.
Note: I'd sure like to hear Altexst1300 speak-up sometime :bow1: . This project is his "baby" after all :). In the meantime, I'll try to offer some thoughts ..

Yes, a lot of folks install the TT FPR, whether they're installing a CC or not. I don't believe it makes the CC work better, but makes the engine feel smoother in the 3-4K RPM range. So I guess it makes the rider feel better :p:. I think you'll like the results of both the FPR and the Rostra CC. Another suggestion in the installation guide is to synchronize the starter valves. I did this as well, using a Carbtune II, and I'm pretty sure it runs cooler now. One nice thing about this CC, is that it isn't affected (effected?) by long ascending hills, or high elevations.

Man,,, I would buy Moonburgers and beverages of your choice if I could get this set up on my ST...

I understand your concerns ACL! In the middle of this thing, I had many occasions where sweaty palms were the norm. I would ask myself, "What have I gotten myself into?", and "Will it ever run again?" :p:

Needless to say, there are quite a few wires involved in this project.. For example, here are a couple pics showing a little progress (note: I varied some from the instructions.. most of my electrical connections to the Rostra are on the left side of the bike, whereas the instructions make the connections on the right side - I didn't think there was enough room on the right because of the ABS modulator. I don't know if Altexst1300's bike has ABS or not).

It takes quite a bit of planning, but the results are well worth the effort!!

Attachments

Last edited:

MileHigh

Juvenile delinquent
Bike
2006 ST
STOC #

If you where closer Terry, I would take you up on your offer.

This was quite a project. The wiring took about a day and, perfecting the linkage took about another day. Just creating a wiring diagram took about half a day.

I did my N/O, back-lit GW switch wiring, like snowmoer and, made my connections on the left side of the bike like st13fundred. I used Hitachi connectors on the left side of the bike. I reversed the aluminum bracket on the throttle cables because the first time, the bracket wanted to slip out. I had to install a clamp to hold the breather hose out of the way of the Futoba arm on the linkage. It was catching at WOT.

I have not had a chance to road test yet as there is snow on the ground. My electrical diagnostics have passed, just waiting for a clear day to road test.

Last edited:

MileHigh

Juvenile delinquent
Bike
2006 ST
STOC #

One other modification/change I made was throttle cables.

I have an MCL riser. With the addition of the GoldWing switch, I found the throttle cables tight. On a left lock, WOT, throttle return was slow/binding. I replaced my throttle cables with a "P" model set of throttle cables.

They are about 1-1&1/2" longer. Binding on WOT, left lock, is completely gone!:D

PN#'s

17910-MCS-A30, throttle cable A

17920-MCS-A30, throttle cable B

Picture of difference is attached. Original cables are on the bottom.

MileHigh

Juvenile delinquent
Bike
2006 ST
STOC #

Just made the first test flight following altexst1300's instructions & snowmoer's up-dated wiring for the N/O, lighted, GW switch.

One word........

:headbang:AWESOME!:headbang:

An update. January, 2009

I just purchased a Centrodyne Y060 pulse divider and, found the circuit board is arranged slightly different than the one pictured in altexst1300's original article instructions.

Altexst1300 just PM'd me and, the correct capacitor to clip on the newer board is still the C8. It is the blue one. See new image below.
Guys, why are you recommending to cut out the capacitor in the pulse divider?

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

Is this the all electric cruise? Youse guys have done a great job designing, fabricating, and documenting a complex job. Way to go.

MileHigh

Juvenile delinquent
Bike
2006 ST
STOC #

Guys, why are you recommending to cut out the capacitor in the pulse divider?
altexST told me that the system would pass the VSS diagnostic test sitting still (with capacitor) but, would not function on the road with the capacitor. Clip the capacitor and, it functioned perfectly. Both with the diagnostic test and, on the road. All I know is, it works!

Is this the all electric cruise? Youse guys have done a great job designing, fabricating, and documenting a complex job. Way to go.
Yes, it's all electronic. Very nice with the changing elevations here in Colorado. Spot on accuracy, everywhere! Simple tap up/down to accel or decel in 1 MPH increments. Just like a new, modern car.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

I currently have a non-functioning MC Cruz on STick, it's been there about 12 years. Haven't diagnosed the problem yet. If it needs to be replaced, this will be the one.

Thanks for all the info.

altexST told me that the system would pass the VSS diagnostic test sitting still (with capacitor) but, would not function on the road with the capacitor. Clip the capacitor and, it functioned perfectly. Both with the diagnostic test and, on the road. All I know is, it works!
MileHigh,

Thanks for the info. That might explain my problem...dias pass when on the stand, but cruise will not engage when riding.

Bike
Honda ST1300

I am planning on installing my cruise by the end of April. Have to buy most of the stuff from the USA (which was great when dollar was on par). I still need to buy the the Hitachi connectors and the Goldwing switch. The $4 connector is going to cost me $30 with shipping charges and the currency difference. Does anybody know of a supplier in Canada? I'd sure like to get this for a little cheaper.
How critical is using this connector? Could I just solder and heatshrink some tubing on the connections instead and save the $30?
Dumb Idea?

st13fundred

Blue:The color of which place?
Bike
'04 ST13A

I still need to buy the the Hitachi connectors and the Goldwing switch. The $4 connector is going to cost me $30 with shipping charges and the currency difference. Does anybody know of a supplier in Canada? I'd sure like to get this for a little cheaper.
Not sure about the exchange rate, but have you tried looking at the Sumitomo (aka Hitachi) connectors at easternbeaver.com. Jim is from Canada, but operates the business from Japan where he lives with his wife. It might be worth looking into.. I know I can get things both faster and cheaper from Jim than out of California (next door neighbor state):confused:

Matt

p.s. I might suggest that you buy a variety of connectors (2 pin, 3 pin, 4, 6 and 9 pin) while you're at it (rather than just one 9 pin). They don't cost much, and you'll be thankful you have them when you need them.

Bike
Honda ST1300

Thanks Matt. I appreciate the info. and advice. I was planning on buying more than one connector (in case I mess one up) but hadn't really considered different sizes as I'm just thinking about getting the cruise installed. Makes more sense to buy more than I need as I can see adding more "options" to the bike in the future (gps, topbox, lights). I'm just getting started, I hope!
I checked out the Eastern Beaver website. Good stuff at a good price.

Leon

Top Bottom