Article [13] ST1300 - Rostra Cruise Control Installation

Bike
Honda ST1300
Re: ST1300 Rostra Cruise Control Installation

The 4 amp fuse you used is an inline one you installed I take it? Not already on the bike?
I've never hooked up a relay in my life before. Can I use this 20amp relay in this application?

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Relays/relays.html

Also would buying this harness simplify life for me to install this Rostra cruise?

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_Specific/Honda_ST/honda_st.html

If I use this do I still need the additional 9 pin connector. I haven't pulled anything apart yet so at this point I am assuming the other end of the quartet harness is 9 pin

Hook up 12V with a 4 amp fuse to the Black w/Yellow wire on the Gold Wing switch.

The Brown Rostra wire needs to be hooked up to a 10 amp switched circuit. I used a relay that is turned on by power from the Quartet Harness.
Thanks!
Leon

MileHigh

Juvenile delinquent
Bike
2006 ST
STOC #

Hey Leon,

You don't have to use the Hitachi connectors. I used them because, if I ever sell the ST, I want to be able to quickly remove the cruise control to transfer to another bike. Also, I was able to use a 9 pin connector instead of multiple splices.

Additionally, the Gold Wing switch has a completely different connector end. It is an 18 pin connector. You have to cut the connector off the Gold Wing switch.

Easier to just make a new 9 pin Hitachi connector to mate with the existing 9 pin Hitachi connector found on the right side, for the right handle bar switch connections found on the ST.

I also used them because, I utilized the Quartet harness for my main power. I wanted to use Hitachi connectors to connect to the Quartet harness. It was minimal $ to just order a few extra connectors & terminal ends.

Also, I placed my fuses in the left faring compartment. Easier to gain access if I ever need to. I utilized a 3 pin Hitachi connector behind the middle-left cowl, so that I can just disconnect the connector and pull the cowl.

I also ordered extra connectors & terminals in case I messed up. Defiantly order extra terminal ends!!

If you are interested, I could see what connectors cost me and, just ship them to you in the Canada.

P.S. I have an extra Futoba arm if you are interested. I ordered 2 in case I messed up. Never used it.

jwayden

John Wayden
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #

I purchased the longer throttle cables Mark (MileHigh) mentioned to install along with my G2 Throttle Tamer (and Symtec grip heaters).

I took it all to a local independent mechanic and he said he didn't need to change out the throttle cables. I paid $32.22 from ServiceHonda for both cables ($41.22 incl. shipping). They're still brand new.

If anyone wants them, I'll sell them for $25.00 plus whatever it costs to ship them. Shouldn't be too much UPS Ground - they're not heavy.

PM me if you're interested.

By the way, I have the Rostra unit and the Goldwing switch gear - I love it! I bought my switch gear on eBay for $40 only to discover that in 2001 Goldwings had a kill-switch recall. I had kill-switch problems, but was able to get the recall kit and fixed the switch. Bottom line (school of hard knocks) -- if you're going to do the Rostra with Goldwing switch gear combo, pay the extra money and get one of the new backlit ones.

John

PN#'s

17910-MCS-A30, throttle cable A

17920-MCS-A30, throttle cable B

Last edited:

MileHigh

Juvenile delinquent
Bike
2006 ST
STOC #

I purchased the longer throttle cables Mark (MileHigh) mentioned to install along with my G2 Throttle Tamer (and Symtec grip heaters).

Hey John,

I had just ordered the G2 Tamer.

It will not work with the GW switch!!

Since the Gold Wing switch moves the throttle tube out 3/4 inch past the end of the handle bar, The G2 will not work correctly. The G2 has delrin contact points at both outer ends of the tube. The outer contact point, will not be in contact with the handle bar!!

I just sent my newly purchased G2 back. :(

jimlwright

Jim04ST

Someone could do a good business setting up a tech session to install this modification a couple times a year. Perhaps one could do advanced orders - get a prepayment plan - order up and fabricate the systems and book sessions.

I know that if the price was right, I would be interested in driving down into the States and having this done for me. I'm sure others would be interested as well. This is one mod that I don't have the capacity to tackle.

Just an idea.

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #

Hey John,

I had just ordered the G2 Tamer.

It will not work with the GW switch!!

Since the Gold Wing switch moves the throttle tube out 3/4 inch past the end of the handle bar, The G2 will not work correctly. The G2 has delrin contact points at both outer ends of the tube. The outer contact point, will not be in contact with the handle bar!!

I just sent my newly purchased G2 back. :(
The G2 seems to work OK with my GW switch. I used about four washers, with an OD about the size of the G2's OD, on the end of the bar-weight bolt to take up the slack. There does not seem to be any rubbing between the throttle tube and the handlebar tube, nor is there any interference between the end of the bar-end weight and the rubber grip. It's close, but does not rub.

As I have the heavier bar weights that come with the Honda hand-grip heaters --the bolt is longer than stock-- my experience may be different than yours. You might want to buy a longer bar-end weight bolt and give it a try.

Marshal

Last edited:
Bike
2006 St1300

To view this article, click on the link to the attached PDF file.

Rostra cruise control installation by altexst1300.
Anyone have a copy of this file? I think this one is corrupted.

Bike
'04 ST1300

I'm getting the supplies together to do this installation on my '04. The link to the pulse divider also shows a signal conditional. Is this needed?

Some feedback is also needed .... I'm planning on using the flat dash mount switch rather than the GW switch, mainly for cost and simplicity. Any advice that one is a better way to go than the other? I was thinking that I could always wire the garage door opener to the aux switch on the GW.

Thanks for you suggestions and input.

Marshal_Mercer

Bike
Has new home
STOC #

<snip>
Some feedback is also needed .... I'm planning on using the flat dash mount switch rather than the GW switch, mainly for cost and simplicity. Any advice that one is a better way to go than the other? I was thinking that I could always wire the garage door opener to the aux switch on the GW.

Thanks for you suggestions and input.
The flat (membrane) switch that ships with the Audiovox, but not the Rostra, worked fine for me. Fine that is, until it got wet. When that happened the CC engaged by itself. I could not shut it off without holding the OFF button or the brake, continuously. I had taken care to use silicon glue inside the pad but had not blocked the pad where the wires enter the housing. Only needed a tiny amount of water to do the deed. The water volume was so small that I could not even see it when I took the pad apart to dry it. Fortunately, the sun came out and whatever water there was evaporated; problem over.

I went to the Gold Wing switch soon thereafter and have not had this issue again, in spite of having been through some real downpours.

Marshal

Bike
Honda ST1300

I bought the pulse divider as the documentation by altextst 1300 says that the pulses from the bike engine is way too high as compared to a typical car. The pulse divider is needed to get the pulses in th range where the cruise control can read it. Don't know if that explanation is totally accurate but that's as technical as I can get. I bought the pulse divider along with everything else I need, including the Honda backlit switch (I like the looks). I have not have had the time to install yet. The parts are in my closet waiting patiently.
If I could give advice, I would say buy the Honda Goldwing backlit switch, as my personal experience when riding at night shows me how poor my memory is when I fumble around in the dark trying to locate controls. I think I'll probably replace the left hand switch in the future with a backlit one also. I think this sort of thing should be standard on any street bike as I see it as a possible safety concern. Sorry about the rambling. Just had to get it off my chest. There. I feel better now:)

Bike
'04 ST1300

Where did you get the GW switch? Did you purchase from a dealer or salvage or ????

thanks for the input on the switch. Sounds like its a better way to go.

Bike
Honda ST1300

Where did you get the GW switch? Did you purchase from a dealer or salvage or ????

thanks for the input on the switch. Sounds like its a better way to go.
I bought the switch here: http://www.cyclepartsnation.com/
They had the best price at the time. Not that I'm a cheapskate, but buying nearly everything stateside then shipping to Canada adds considerably to the cost.

The part # is 35130-MCA-A21.

Re: ST1300-Rostra Cruise Control Installation

I currently have Hondaline heated grips, and I'm planning on doing the Rosta cruise with the GW switch. I have a few questions:

a) Will it work with a G2 throttle tamer (I saw some mention of using a shorter version of the tamer - is this a stock item, or a one-time run)?

b) Can I re-use the existing Hondaline grip element? Do Hondaline grip elements work with the throttle tamer?

c) Has anyone in the Atlanta area installed this cruise control? I'm a bit nervous to tackle this on my own. I'm good with wiring, but have no fabrication skills or tools.

Thanks!

Marshal_Mercer

Bike
Has new home
STOC #

I currently have Hondaline heated grips, and I'm planning on doing the Rosta cruise with the GW switch. I have a few questions:

a) Will it work with a G2 throttle tamer (I saw some mention of using a shorter version of the tamer - is this a stock item, or a one-time run)?
Yes, the regular ST1300 model of the G2 works perfectly.
b) Can I re-use the existing Hondaline grip element? Do Hondaline grip elements work with the throttle tamer?
If you mean by that the Hondaline grip heater, yes, it works just fine. I have the Hondaline grip heater, G2 throttle tube, and the Gold Wing switch installed. All works well.
c) Has anyone in the Atlanta area installed this cruise control? I'm a bit nervous to tackle this on my own. I'm good with wiring, but have no fabrication skills or tools.

Thanks!

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

Anyone done the Rostra on a VFR-1200-T yet (thought I'd get it in early. :D)

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

GEORGE - Might be a little tough. Ain't it supposed to be 'throttle by wire'? ;-)
There's gotta be a mechanical function in ther.... Oh, maybe not, just 'lectrical pulses to the injectors. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. :think1:

Yes, the regular ST1300 model of the G2 works perfectly.

If you mean by that the Hondaline grip heater, yes, it works just fine. I have the Hondaline grip heater, G2 throttle tube, and the Gold Wing switch installed. All works well.
Thanks Marshal!

Top Bottom