Article [13] ST1300 - Rostra Cruise Control Installation

Bike
Moto Guzzi V7 850 Sp
That's on my list, complete with the requisite GoldWing pod.
Meaning, I have not done this yet.
However, it would seem that you want enough cable to allow lock-to-lock handlebar movement, but not much more than that.
I've read this entire thread shortly after joining, so I will have much to revisit.
Which specific cable are you referring to in the GW switch?
I foresee following the path of the existing cables coming from the right grip, just bundling them together as best you can.
I plan on following the path of the existing cable(s) and the lock to lock requirement will certainly be met. The entire cable could possibly be shortened depending on where the connector(s) I'll be attaching to is located. I haven't had to tear the bike apart yet so I'm not sure of the location of those connectors. If they are under the tank, the entire harness from the switch could be shortened and I'm just trying to get an idea by how much. I've got nine-pin connectors and a few others that I'll use to modularize the whole assembly. I could use single-wire spade connectors or bullet connectors, but I like neatness and organization in my projects.

Bike
Moto Guzzi V7 850 Sp
Just make it the same length.
I'm assuming you mean the same length as the existing cable and therein lies the rub. I can't measure the existing cable without removing it from the bike. I was hoping to assemble the new terminals ahead of time so all I would need to do is stuff the terminals in the plug to match the correct pins in the plug on the wire loom.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I'm assuming you mean the same length as the existing cable and therein lies the rub. I can't measure the existing cable without removing it from the bike. I was hoping to assemble the new terminals ahead of time so all I would need to do is stuff the terminals in the plug to match the correct pins in the plug on the wire loom.
Gotcha. That is what I meant.

Maybe someone here has an OEM switch pod off a bike they can measure from housing to plug.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
For the 1100 I cut off about a 1.5 ft.. now I did have to change some pins around. I would suggest you wait with it so you can do a proper measure and match the wires. I left the harness for the cruise control section alone, meaning I didn’t shorten it. If you have the tools and the connectors it’s not going to take you long on the day of the install.

ok ST gurus, I got my Rostra in, stripped the bike down, and ordered a GW switch plus a AT&C pulse devider. Im going to use 1500 gw throttle cables (6" longer) has anyone used the atc devider? the z063 was out of stock

David Fyffe

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 ST1300/1978 GL
ok ST gurus, I got my Rostra in, stripped the bike down, and ordered a GW switch plus a AT&C pulse devider. Im going to use 1500 gw throttle cables (6" longer) has anyone used the atc devider? the z063 was out of stock
I used the F6B GL1500 control and the cables that came with it.
The cables are too long, I had to make a few "S" curves to make it fit.
I used a replacement for the divider listed in the article, it was for a taxi.
I had to move the brake master cylinder all the way foreward,
I made a spacer to fill in the gap at the end of the hand gripe where the handle bar weight mounts.
Be careful and position the control so it does not hit the fuel tank, very carefully drill the new hole for the locating pin,
Measure and jig it up several times before drilling!!!

Attachments

I used the F6B GL1500 control and the cables that came with it.
The cables are too long, I had to make a few "S" curves to make it fit.
I used a replacement for the divider listed in the article, it was for a taxi.
I had to move the brake master cylinder all the way foreward,
I made a spacer to fill in the gap at the end of the hand gripe where the handle bar weight mounts.
Be careful and position the control so it does not hit the fuel tank, very carefully drill the new hole for the locating pin,
Measure and jig it up several times before drilling!!!
How much longer were the f6b cables? I ended up using a lighted gl1500 control assembly, had several laying around. But since i swapped my bars out too I could use longer cables. I went w the wing pull cable (about 6" longer)

David Fyffe

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 ST1300/1978 GL
How much longer were the f6b cables? I ended up using a lighted gl1500 control assembly, had several laying around. But since i swapped my bars out too I could use longer cables. I went w the wing pull cable (about 6" longer)
With out measuring, I am guessing 4-6 inches.
I have a full sweep in the area from the throattle bodies to the right side frame member and out the exit foreward.
I also have a fairley large radius in front of the tank to the grip.
I used the cables that came with the cruise control grip.
No problems so far.

Top Bottom