Ducati ST3

Bike
99 ST1100
Anybody familiar with Ducati's ST3?

The local BMW/Ducati dealer has an '05 with just over 10,000 miles he's asking $6,999.

I know Nothing about the bike except "it's sooo pretty." Probably see about a test ride but wanted any insights I could get before I go back in there with my money and my unhealthy desire:eek:4:

Thanks,

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Very pretty indeed. I thought I'd like one for a while. Sat on a couple, never was able to ride one. The maintenance schedule (6,000 mile valve adjustment intervals) had me thinking it wasn't for me, but it's still eye candy.

If you can dig up the June 2004 issue of Rider there's a full test. Overall they liked it. Here's the conclusion: "...if you're a more mellow sport-tourer who appreciates the torquey feel of a big twin, who wears out the center tread and the sides, and who more appreciates the rhythm of a series of sweeping turns rather than stuffing it in and dragging parts coming out, you're probably ST3 material."

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
My riding buddy (and longtime friend) Desmo Steve has an '05 ST3. Maybe he'll see this, and chime in. Until more knowledgeable folks appear, here's what I can tell you:

The '05 was probably the best year for the ST3. The injection system is "pre-Euro3," a lot more tractable than the '06 or '07. I believe that there were some improvements over the '04 and earlier models, too, in the areas of electrics and lighting. I believe that saddlebags were standard on the '05, but were optional on later years. The ST3s has Ohilns suspension, but the standard ST3 is no slouch in the handling department.

The ST3 is the only Ducati that uses the three valve heads. It's water cooled; an advantage as far as I'm concerned. Steve and I have done the valve adjustments ourselves - it's not the dark magic some would have you believe. Valve clearance check intervals were increased on the later models, and I think that the 6K is overly conservative. (Steve tends to drag his out a little longer, with no problems.) Checking the valve clearance is really quick and easy; don't let this be a factor in your decision. Overall, I'd say that maintenance is a little easier than on my ST1300.

Steve's bike has been very reliable. They did replace a coil under warranty, but I don't think that there's been anything else of concern. He rode an Iron Butt SS1000 on it, so I know it's good for distance. The stock seat is surprisingly comfortable. The riding position is "sportier" than my ST1300, but more relaxed than most sportbikes. There are risers available for the handlebars, but they're expensive due to the design.

I think that the ST3 and ST4 models were some of the best looking, and most practical, Ducatis ever made. I don't understand why they ceased production. They accounted for a small percentage of total production, though, and may have cannibalized some of the market for MultiStradas.

Ducati.MS (http://www.ducati.ms/forums/) is the forum of choice. There's a good support community for Ducatis, and some good aftermarket parts vendors.

I'd say go for the test ride.

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
After owning Ducati's you will become a better mechanic. But, man are they fun!

OP
OP
barto
Bike
99 ST1100
Yeah, I've fallen in lust with this Duc.

Told my wife I was thinking about a new bike, she said you've put so much into your bike (ST1100) why would you get rid of it now?

"Who said I'm getting rid of it?"

Man, that woman has NO sense of humor:rofl1:

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Tell her that you can afford it if you dump the girlfriend. (I need a late model ST11 engine. Have your wife call me after she kills you...)

OP
OP
barto
Bike
99 ST1100
Tell her that you can afford it if you dump the girlfriend. (I need a late model ST11 engine. Have your wife call me after she kills you...)
Now that's Funny...:rofl1: I'll have to remember to tell her BEFORE she kills me because afterwards I may forget.

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
This is a very late post. I'm wondering if you are still thinking about the ST3.
I rode a new one about 3 years ago and couldn't get off it quick enough. The ST11/13 will spoil anybody getting on ANY other bike.
Ducati is a hard edged machine. You hear and feel everything in the engine/drive train. That rough character is its' draw, kinda like the draw HD has.

OP
OP
barto
Bike
99 ST1100
I'm wondering if you are still thinking about the ST3.
Not really anymore. Momentary lapse of reason.

I think I'll stick with rock solid reliability over "hard edged machine"

But did I mention? It's soooo pretty! LOL

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
I am now 4 months into my 'Ducati experiment'. So far, so good:) The little MultiStrada is so much fun to ride it is hard to explain.

And boy, does it look good. It has moved into the #1 slot in my parking area, where I can look at it every time I go into or out of the front door. The Connie and VSTrom are clearly jealous, but really, which would you rather look at???

Heck, I like the ST4S so much after test driving one I bought it! Now I have two ST's...
A trip to N Arkansas, the Duc. My last trip to Austin to MOTO GP the Honda ST1100.
Both are good road travel bikes, But the ST4S much better for the twist's.

I love both bikes and can't seem to give one up over the other. Only down fall to the Duc. The maintance!

S Lee

Bike
98 ST1100
I just bought an 01 ST2 and rode it home 1600 miles. My son joined me on the ST1100. These two bikes bikes are as different as Chevrolet and Ferrari. I LOVED the ST1100 until I swung a leg over the Duc. My poor Honda will probably never clear the driveway until she sells now. I did 660 miles on it Friday to include a blistering Death Valley route. Never a complaint to my arse, neck or shoulders. In fact, son and I both found it far better comfort for distance than the wonderful Honda. YMMV. I don't like paying for maintenance, but I do it on my equipment anyway. This bike is so sexy AND comfortable though that I don't care if it's a little more. And that's actually debate able. It falls into corners and roars out the back. 130 feels solid and even safe...... Then you shift into 4th.
i think I read it's about 470lbs. Huge difference from the ST1100, and you feel it the minute you get on it.
Im not surprised previous poster stated he couldn't get off fast enough. The ergos are so different between the two that son and I had to really readjust our position and thinking when we traded back and forth.

Just bought a 2006 ST3 after owning 3 VFR800s a Concours 14 and FJR1300. What a sexy beast. Similar to a Honda RC51 but with better ergos. Silky smooth fueling and shifting. A little buzzy at the clip ons. Need to look at some risers soon. What are you guys using to mount your gps or phones? I have an X-Grip that I would like to transfer to it.

Top Bottom