Is there a problem with Avon Storm II rear tires?

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Re: Is there a problem with Avon Storm rear's ?

:plus1:

I would go one step further and get the thread retitled so it refers specifically to the Storm II so it minimizes confusion. AFAIK, I don't recall seeing any threads in the past concerning failures with the original Storm rear tires. I am aware of many of the 1100 related headshake issues but I don't think thats the intent of this thread.
That and all the issues with the Storm I on the 1100 had to do with the front tire not the rear. Some people had them replaced and the head shake went away. There were some theories that it was a cord problem on those tires but I never saw one fail. People just didn't like the feel. Though in my experience the shake is very mild and easily controlled with one hand on the bars. I lived with it because I liked the tires that much on the 1100.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Re: Is there a problem with Avon Storm II rear's ?

I really think that there is another issue to consider and this could be related to various brands of tires. I have changed literally thousands of tires by hand. I have also witnessed many tires being changed in shops over the years with tire machines. In my opinion many tires are being over stressed when changing them while using the powered tire changing machines. If the person using the machine is not careful and does not keep the tire centered on the rim properly it is really easy to put extreme stress on the tire. This can result in failures down the road. I am sure that design differences in various brands can mean that some tires are more prone to this kind of damage than others. Softer side walled tires may be more prone to this than say a BT020 that has an iron stiff sidewall and forces the person mounting the tire to make sure it is centered properly. Just my .02 but many of these failures could be related to the mounting method. One can stress the tire mounting it with tire irons as well but it is a lot harder to do.

Dan

STOC #

OK, Raven's incident and this thread have me completely freaked out, so the new Avon Storm 2 Ultras that are sitting in my garage are not going to make it on the ST. I just ordered another set of PR2's from Tim. I can live with the noise, not with the tire falling apart.

STranger

Jay Knight
Bike
99 ST1100
STOC #

I have never ran the tire in question. However if the tire dealer is responsible for putting this tire on the bike when it is not recommended by avon the liability would likely fall to the shop. This is a liability you take when you mount your own tires because the shop has no clue what bike your mounting the on....nor should they have to. I do how ever know that I will not be mounting this model. If in our small community there has been this many failures the numbers are too high. The percentage of st riders are well represented here but NO WHERE NEAR production number or st's honda has made. I really don't care if it is .0001 failure rate it's a life we are talking here.

Sorry to rant off but just some things I've been thinking about since read Raven's thread and seeing other examples here.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #

I have never ran the tire in question. However if the tire dealer is responsible for putting this tire on the bike when it is not recommended by avon the liability would likely fall to the shop. This is a liability you take when you mount your own tires because the shop has no clue what bike your mounting the on....nor should they have to. I do how ever know that I will not be mounting this model. If in our small community there has been this many failures the numbers are too high. The percentage of st riders are well represented here but NO WHERE NEAR production number or st's honda has made. I really don't care if it is .0001 failure rate it's a life we are talking here.

Sorry to rant off but just some things I've been thinking about since read Raven's thread and seeing other examples here.
It should be pointed out that the tire is approved for the 1100. I see in your profile that you have an 1100. While I haven't ridden Storm II I really like the Storm I and that is what I have on my 1100 now. This issue really is mainly about the 1300. While the two bikes are close in weight keep in mind that the tire sizes are completely different so the 1100 tire cannot be put on a 1300.

Bottom line is that you have to make a decision about what risks you want to take. A MC is more dangerous than a cage. The OEM Dunlops I rode on my 1100 were very bad tires even though they were approved for it. I ran several sets and had lots of problems with the 1100 hydroplaning with them. The Storm I tire stuck like glue in every condition I ever threw at them. I was happy to live with a little head shake when I coasted through 45-40MPH. If braking or maintaining a speed in that range it wasn't there. Just while coasting. I pass through it quick enough that it wasn't a big deal.

All this said. I won't put Storms on my 1300. Again personal risk management.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

One thing I have learned over the years is corporations find it more cost beneficial to pretend they have no issues, rather than opening themselves up for instant liability by admitting issues.

That is for sure look at Toyota saying there was no problems with their cars!!

:usflag1:

STranger

Jay Knight
Bike
99 ST1100
STOC #

Sennister I strongly agree. And yes I do ride an 1100. Just like the 021 I had nothing but issues but the 020 on the back of an 1100 rides and wears well. With the exception of cold days they tend to be a little squirley. Tire wear vs handling I'll willing to experiment with but.....delamination or dangerous excessive wear I am not.

I would assume that delamination comes from excessive heat build up on the tire or the belt not holding air letting pockets of air build up and expand as heat builds. It would be interesting to see some comapario of the ultra ii temps after riding some time on the highway vs other tires.....
Maybe that would be a good excuse for me to get the Harbor Freight lazer thermometer deal and check tires after some group rides:D:D:D

ok ok ok enough from me sorry for the thread jack

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300

I had a rear Storm 2 Ultra go flat after 6,000 miles. It looked like I ran over a rock or something that caused a ragged hole that I could not plug. I remember hitting a rock maybe 30 miles before I noticed the low pressure so I doubt that it was a tire defect but I think it does relate to this thread.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

Have all these problems been with 170/60/17 size?

Bike
98 ST1100
STOC #

Before ya'll want to shoot arrows at me let me say that I'm just playing devil's advocate here.
How many of you buy a car or truck and ALWAYS put the exact same tires on it every time it needs tires? How many just buy the same size and load rating? How many decide they don't like the original tires/wheels and put on a different size tire/wheel?
Now if you answered yes to any of the above why are you concerned with the motorcycle or tire manufacturers recommendation, not including 2 vs. 4 tires, as long as the tires ar the same size and load rating as the originals?

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!

Just to let y'all know I'm reading eveything. I'll chime in later.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say Tim, I have run Azaro's then Storms and now second set of Storm 2's with no problems. None of them were recommended for the ST but all were the correct size etc.

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"

George that's probably going to be a positive here on this board, for obvious reasons. But on the fjr board where the rear is 180/55/17 there are also an awful lot of indications of QC issues with Avons. And that's with a lot of their tires, not just the storm IIs.

I have no affiliation or beef with Avon's, have never owned a set, but if you do a search, there's a ton of threads talking about failures. I'm just saying...

ardykay54

Russ "NeonMan" Knock
Bike
22 Kaw Z900rs 50 ann
2024 Miles
STOC #

Unfortunately the devil is what we don't know here. Honda may have tested the Storm and determined it wasn't suitable. Unless there was an agreement, they are not obligated to helping Avon sort out any issues or publicize their findings. Likewise, it's not in Avon's interest to advertise their tire failed Honda qualification. One thing I have learned over the years is corporations find it more cost beneficial to pretend they have no issues, rather than opening themselves up for instant liability by admitting issues.

I guess I'll be sticking with the old Bridgestone BT020 from now on. Have never heard of any sort of issues with that model.
I like the BTO20F tires but.............First set - 16,600 miles, no problems. Second set - 15,400, changed early because the front tire developed cracks in the sipes all around the right side of the tire (none on the left side). Third set - same cracks around right side front. Started around 8,000 miles and has gotten to the point that I don't trust them anymore at 13,800. Trying a different brand this time. Rear tire still looks good at 13,800. Hate to give up on a tire that gets this good of mileage, but......Russ.

Bike
04 ST1300 ABS

Hey guys,haven't been on the site in awhile but was surprised to read this thread because my rear storm 2 on my 04 just did the same thing on me Sunday.It delaminated in the same spot,ragged hole with cords showing.It had 8k on it.Was riding two up at the time it went flat.I remember it feeling like a belt separation or a bubble had developed in one of my tires when taking off from a traffic light.Ordered a new storm 2 yesterday but think I'll cancel now..

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

Originally Posted by George View Post
George that's probably going to be a positive here on this board, for obvious reasons. But on the fjr board where the rear is 180/55/17 there are also an awful lot of indications of QC issues with Avons. And that's with a lot of their tires, not just the storm IIs.
Thanks for that, Hank. I guess I should be more specific: have any of the failures been on the 160/70/17 (ST1100 size.) That tire IS recommended by Avon for my bike.

Top Bottom