Is there a problem with Avon Storm II rear tires?

STOC #
Re: Is there a problem with Avon Storm II rear's ?

I am having a wear problem with my Ultra 2's. Now I am really concerned. :eek:
I might just change them before next season. There's no good reason for me to risk it. My life and health, and that of Cath, is too valuable. I ride pretty hard and will not take the chance.

Here's my post about it.

Mike.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88841

Bike
ST1300
STOC #

Hey guys,haven't been on the site in awhile but was surprised to read this thread because my rear storm 2 on my 04 just did the same thing on me Sunday.It delaminated in the same spot,ragged hole with cords showing.It had 8k on it.Was riding two up at the time it went flat.I remember it feeling like a belt separation or a bubble had developed in one of my tires when taking off from a traffic light.Ordered a new storm 2 yesterday but think I'll cancel now..
I tried to inform ST riders almost a 1 1/2 years ago about the Storms on the 1300, but most just wanted to argue & discredit. See my posts starting 6-13-09. Now some one we know of has been hurt. Run them at your own risk your life depends on it.
PS this is just a flat statement of my opinion and I will not respond to controversy.

Happy safe rdiing,

Larry

Bike
ST1300A

Well I don't want to be a spoil-sport here, there are alot of pot-shots being taken at Avon, but I am wondering what part of "Not Recommended" don't we understand?

How can anybody claim that a product has failed when it was put to task on something after the manufacturer said "don't do that". I DO have a major problem with they guys who are selling you these for your ST (presuming you're not ordering and installing them yourself). That is recklessness bordering on wanton.

Bike
'06 ST1300A

The Storm II rear tire on my ST1300 failed at approximately 6k about 6 weeks ago. 75mph, going straight. It didn't blow out, I think it was actually a "slow" (relatively speaking) deflation. I still have the tire, and will attempt to get some pics of it. Fortunately for me, but unfortunately for us casual "forensic tire pathologists", I rode the tire down to a stop, and the tire was pretty chewed up being squeezed between the rim and road by my fat arse and hefty STeed, so I'm not sure how much of the damage the tire exhibits is from the initial failure and how much occured during from roll-down.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800

After looking a little closer at pictures of this last delam, it wreaks of heat induced failure, IMO. That's not to say it was low on pressure just prior to delaminating but I would love to know if that tire had ever been run under-inflated or overloaded or on some super hot slab or any combination at some point in it's life.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!

Hey guys. First let me say that I’m glad that Raven is ok. A get off like that is super scary. Anytime one of our customers/members goes down it’s not cool.

Ok here’s some of my opinion. Most of us know here that Avon does not approve the Avon Storm 2 for the ST1300. They also did not approve the Avon Storm for the ST1300.

They do not manufacture the Avon Storms any longer, only the Storm 2’s.

This has always been an issue with us. I have in the past refused to sell these tires to ST1300 owners. I have installed them in the past, before I realized that they were not approved. Lots of dealers don’t even know that they are not approved.

I’m not sure anyone could tell us what went wrong with this tire. It seems like low air pressure, which causes the tire to overheat which in turn can cause delaminating.
But I believe Raven on her tire pressure.

This is where it gets cloudy. I don’t think Avon will even talk to her about it. Why?
Because the tire is not approved for the ST1300. I have talked with Avon on this countless times and they stand firm that the tire is not approved for the ST1300.

It is not listed on their website so they are not liable. I have seen this over the last two years with the tire manufacturers. If it’s not showing on the approved list then they don’t want to talk about it.

I’ll be interested to see where this goes. I’ll help anyway I can.

Ride safe out there guys and gals. Check your air pressure and inspect your tires. We see more road hazards than ever.

STranger

Jay Knight
Bike
99 ST1100
STOC #

Tim thanks for the weigh in. I think it is pretty shady for a tire company to speed and load rate a tire.......then not approve it for a bike that uses that speed and weight. It leaves a lot of small business owners open to loose a lot.
Kind of the point I was trying to make earlier......tire shop mounts the tire liability if you buy and mount it liability.....avon liability zero that sucks:confused::confused:

Bike
99 ST1100

All this talk about approved or unapproved tires has me concerned a bit. Realistically it seems as though any tire of the right size and rating for weight and speed SHOULD be okay to use. But if the manufacturer won't stand behind it because it has not been specifically approved for the ST's then there is the real risk of being "left out in the cold" if anything happens.

Raven had a serious issue due to tire failure. Two Brothers says that because the tire isn't "approved" for the ST Avon won't even talk about it.

Mellow's put together a list of tires "available" as replacements for the ST's and lists the Avon Storm II as an "available" alternative. It's great to have this information but for our own protection - both as riders and site administrators - it may be a good idea to specifically note which tires or "approved" and which or not.

If someone were to claim they selected a tire based on information available here it could create problems if it's not an "approved" tire.

Just my 2 cents worth, but in this era where everybody seems to be looking for someone to sue, it seems like there may be some risk in listing an unapproved tire as an "available" replacement.

STOC #

I think it is pretty shady for a tire company to speed and load rate a tire.......then not approve it for a bike that uses that speed and weight. It leaves a lot of small business owners open to loose a lot.
Kind of the point I was trying to make earlier......tire shop mounts the tire liability if you buy and mount it liability.....avon liability zero that sucks:confused::confused:
I don't see it as shady at all. The speed and load ratings are required by law in some countries. Given that rim shapes, engine torque, bike weight, etc are out of the tire manufacturers control, they are under no obligation to match their tire to a bike or situation.

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
Re: Is there a problem with Avon Storm REARS?

I don't think anyone mentioned issues with the fronts.
I think Throttlejockey's point was that there's no apostrophe in "rears". That's what was wrong with it.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Re: Is there a problem with Avon Storm REARS?

I think Throttlejockey's point was that there's no apostrophe in "rears". That's what was wrong with it.
My point before Mellow changed the title was that it didn't state "Storm 2 Rear."
So it could have been the original Storm and not the Storm 2.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #

All this talk about approved or unapproved tires has me concerned a bit. Realistically it seems as though any tire of the right size and rating for weight and speed SHOULD be okay to use. But if the manufacturer won't stand behind it because it has not been specifically approved for the ST's then there is the real risk of being "left out in the cold" if anything happens.

Raven had a serious issue due to tire failure. Two Brothers says that because the tire isn't "approved" for the ST Avon won't even talk about it.

Mellow's put together a list of tires "available" as replacements for the ST's and lists the Avon Storm II as an "available" alternative. It's great to have this information but for our own protection - both as riders and site administrators - it may be a good idea to specifically note which tires or "approved" and which or not.

If someone were to claim they selected a tire based on information available here it could create problems if it's not an "approved" tire.

Just my 2 cents worth, but in this era where everybody seems to be looking for someone to sue, it seems like there may be some risk in listing an unapproved tire as an "available" replacement.
Just saying they don`t want to talk about it dosen`t work, ask a lawyer!

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #

Just saying they don`t want to talk about it dosen`t work, ask a lawyer!
Yes and no. The question will come down to more of a case with the place that sold the tire and or mounted it rather than the manufacturer. They are not the ones selling it to the customer and have no idea what it is being mounted on. So while there could be a legal fight I doubt it would come down to a battle with Avon but the seller.

I know I have bought tires for cages and they look at the speed rating of the tire. They won't sell a tire with a speed rating lower than what is recommended by the automaker likely to be at a level or above a speed limiter on the cage. Odds are here in the US you are not going to spend much time at speeds where any tire would cause an issue but they would still be liable.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Hmmm? Just think of the field day we could have if they sold Hondaline Topboxes over here! :crackup

consumer: "Yeah, I'm onna git me a new set of denchurs and sum hearin' aids for free".

interviewer: "How do you plan to accomplish that?

consumer: I'm onna buy me a Hawnda ST1300 wit a topbox and den I'm onna buy me sum a dem Avon tars. My uncle Emil is a good lawyer and said I sho could get me a lot of money if I ever had an accident while I was sportin' either of doze two things.

This is a serious matter and I don't mean to belittle it but it is almost humorous how quickly we let the court system decide our fate. Me, I'll have to settle for making a hypothesis and choosing not to buy certain items based on either my experience or someone else's and hope like heck I made the right choice. It is comforting to know that if I don't make the right choice or anyone else along the way I can always call Uncle Emil. I am darned happy I have a Honda ST1300 and this internet forum to help keep me apprised of things like this tire issue.

:usflag1:

Bike
2005 ST1300
I just found this thread through the one on Raven's get-off, which was linked through the LDRider list. I have about 10k miles on my Storm II rear. It was sent to me by SWMoto when I ordered a Storm. I assumed they were out of stock and I got the upgrade for the lower price - cool. Anyway, this is the first I am hearing about delam problems and of Avon not approving the tire for the ST13. I don't believe I'll put another Storm on the bike.

So, to my point, tire manufacturers go to the trouble to make a tire in a size like the 170/60R17 that - to my knowledge - only fits the ST13. Then they say they don't recommend using it on that model. Am I missing something here?

Top Bottom