New Shinko 011 Verge Radials Installed

Bike
1999 Honda ST1100
I'm glad this tire is working out for some. Mine was shot at 2841 miles. I'm always running in the mountains and maintain 42 psi. I can't recommend them to anyone at this time.
I think I see your problem... Apparently you only turn left... LOL

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Need to check in more... I'm running Skinko 011's on the bike now. Have 11,988 km/7500 miles on the front and 10,128 km/6330 miles on the rear. Judging by the wear, I should get a minimum of another 5,000 km/3,000 miles out of them. That makes them pretty cost effective. I've found them smooth and better in the rain than I expected. A lot of kilometers are semi-twisty commute and secondary roads with maybe half the total mileage on main highways. Highway cruising is usually around 130 km/80 mph. They have served me well and I will put another set on.

Reactions: Obo
OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Need to check in more... I'm running Skinko 011's on the bike now. Have 11,988 km/7500 miles on the front and 10,128 km/6330 miles on the rear. Judging by the wear, I should get a minimum of another 5,000 km/3,000 miles out of them. That makes them pretty cost effective. I've found them smooth and better in the rain than I expected. A lot of kilometers are semi-twisty commute and secondary roads with maybe half the total mileage on main highways. Highway cruising is usually around 130 km/80 mph. They have served me well and I will put another set on.
That sounds like you found a tire that works for you at a great cost savings. Enjoy and be safe out there.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I'm still running 009 Raven on the rear and 011 Verge on the front. Handle great and best miles per dollar. Don't think I'll change in the future.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I wanted to use the Verge on both front at least and rear if possible but they weren't available at the time and in the sizes I needed last fall. Ended up with the Shinko 009 Raven Radial 200/50ZR17 on the rear and the Shinko 005 Advance Radial 130/70VR18 on the front. Love these tires.

MattInDenver

Shall Be known as MattInMadison
Bike
2012 ST1300 2006 VFR
One thing that was/is apparent. High Crown on the tire. The tire tends to flop or drop into a corner rather than rolls. I noticed this from the get go even on gentle bends. A little nerve racking. I am hoping that fully loaded two up the crown will be flattened.

MattInDenver

Bike
2012 ST1300 2006 VFR
Update. I am really enjoying the tire. The rain wasn't as big of an issue I had heard. The tread pattern can create a hum while leaned over. It is more pronounced on the down hill.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I just put a set on - maybe 60 miles so far. Not sure I'm loving the handling, but I haven't had time to get in a good ride yet.
I'd have a hard time thinking of any tire I've mounted, since the invention of tubeless radials, that changed the handling enough to make me love (or not love) a bike's handling that I didn't already love. Some wore differently, some made different noises, some were different prices, none made as much handling difference as suspension changes.

Tom

Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
I have. I made the mistake of putting some Battlax's on a 96 Nighthawk 750. They were terrible on that bike, made handing scary. Didn't feel planted or stable in corners at all. Even my brother who's been riding far long and is much better than I am didn't like the way the bike handled. I passed the NH to him, and after those wore out, he put on a set of Shinko's (not sure what model), and the bike handles SO much better.

Now the old NH750 was built for Bias Ply tires, but several people have used radials with success. I'm just not one of them. Part of the reason I gave the bike to him was the poor handling, I just didn't like riding it.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have. I made the mistake of putting some Battlax's on a 96 Nighthawk 750. They were terrible on that bike, made handing scary. Didn't feel planted or stable in corners at all. Even my brother who's been riding far long and is much better than I am didn't like the way the bike handled. I passed the NH to him, and after those wore out, he put on a set of Shinko's (not sure what model), and the bike handles SO much better.

Now the old NH750 was built for Bias Ply tires, but several people have used radials with success. I'm just not one of them. Part of the reason I gave the bike to him was the poor handling, I just didn't like riding it.
The V45/V65 Sabres had the same issues. I had just bought/brought down a '85 V45 Sabre from Canada and a couple of months later ran on a group ride through some mountains. The bike was scary! I hadn't ridden on mountains so slow! I was at the back of the pack the entire time. A few months later, I put some Dunlop 205 (I think that's what they were) radials on it and then rode with the same group of riders. I couldn't believe the difference! All of a sudden, I was riding with the two leaders, having to back off so I didn't run them over! They were leading and I was following since I didn't know the roads!

A few years later, my brother and I were riding, with the same group again. My brother had a '83 V45 Sabre, but still had the bias ply tires on it. we swapped bikes for a few miles, until I wanted mine back. What a difference! Dave changed over to radials after that too. When we went to V65 Sabres, the tires were the first to go and the radials went on, made a big difference in their handling also!

Bike
R1200rt
I'd have a hard time thinking of any tire I've mounted, since the invention of tubeless radials, that changed the handling enough to make me love (or not love) a bike's handling that I didn't already love. Some wore differently, some made different noises, some were different prices, none made as much handling difference as suspension changes.

Tom
PLUS 1... I have the Verge11 on now with about 8K still in good condition. Had different tires and different sizes they all handled about the same but they were all radial Z rated tires .

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Hi,
Just installed the shinko 011 Verge and, love them! The front is sharp and light and even on wet & cold weather the handling is very reassuring.
Before them, I had the Michelin Pilot Road 4 and honestly, I like the handling of the Shinko much better.
Thumbs up!

Deleted member 43959

Hi,
Just installed the shinko 011 Verge and, love them! The front is sharp and light and even on wet & cold weather the handling is very reassuring.
Before them, I had the Michelin Pilot Road 4 and honestly, I like the handling of the Shinko much better.
Thumbs up!
Thanks for your feedback :) Can't wait to put those on mine next Spring

I have been a fan of shinko for a couple of years now (I have them on 3 of my other bikes as well), I have over 5,200 miles on my verge's and they are wearing amazing, pushing the bike through the corners I have been nothing but happy and confident with them.

At the rate they are wearing, I would expect to see 9-10k miles before replacement.

MattInDenver

Bike
2012 ST1300 2006 VFR
Maybe I got a bad tire but The rear after one season is showing belts. I will not be buying these again. Why spend less on something that keeps you and your machine contented to the road. Back to the metzeler or dunlop.

Top Bottom