ST1100 Auxilliary Light Brackets

Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
I've wanted some auxilliary light brackets for some LED lights that I purchased this summer, but couldn't really find a good location. I didn't want them fork mounted for the possible jiggling and closeness to rocks and debris. I considered a location under the headlight, but in the end decided that the best location for me was to make some brackets that would bolt into the rear view mirror bolts similar to the police model brackets.

So today, and the 2nd day of my newly found retirement, I headed over to my friend Bob's shop where we built the brackets. Here's how I did it.

I started by removing the mirror covers and the little spacer that fills the gap between the mirror and the fairing and creating rough template like the following. Nothing special, it's just a way of gaining perspective on the task.

Then it was some cutting, grinding, filing and welding. We had to make four spacers as well as the bracket and the mounting arm. We also had to acquire some longer 10mm bolts.

Some Grinding:

Some Welding:

This was followed by numerous fittings and tweakings which led to these brackets:

After paint, they are a bit more presentable:

Mounted up, they look like the following:

And the finished product with the lights installed is pretty nice. The mounts are very solid.

Now I need to do the wiring part of the project which will include adding a Fuzeblocks fuse panel and a switch for the lights.

The lights, BTW, are VisionX (www.visionxusa.com) which I purchased from AZ Motosports at the LD Rider National Convention in Denver last August. The left one is a 10 watt flood LED and the right side is a 10 watt spot.

It's actually a pretty easy project, but takes a bit of time (most of the day) to do the actual 2 off fabrication.

They look very nice -- and solid. Good job.

I hope the "newly found retirement" is voluntary and that you enjoy every moment! (Next Tuesday is the first day of my 5th year and every day is better than the day before!)

OP
OP
Timmer
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
It's totally voluntary and the checks start coming in January.

They look very nice -- and solid. Good job.

I hope the "newly found retirement" is voluntary and that you enjoy every moment! (Next Tuesday is the first day of my 5th year and every day is better than the day before!)

Bike
91-ST1100 & PC800
STOC #
Hi Tim
That looks great... when will you be taking orders for them ?
Just wondering... if you swap sides with the mounts so the light are under
the mirrors will they still fit or would they have to be made for that position.
Great job I want some
Dave:poPoST1:

OP
OP
Timmer
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Dave,

No, the mounts will not swap to create under mirror mounts. There is a difference in layout of the mirror bracket between the top and bottom bolts. So an under mirror mount would need to be a unique creation, but could be easily done. :)

As I indicated in my write up, I considered mounting them underneath, but the field of view for the lights is significantly cut off on one side of the lights. Plus they are closer to the debris kicked up by the front tire.

Tim

Hi Tim
That looks great... when will you be taking orders for them ?
Just wondering... if you swap sides with the mounts so the light are under
the mirrors will they still fit or would they have to be made for that position.
Great job I want some
Dave:poPoST1:

OP
OP
Timmer
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
BTW, Service Honda shows the pricing for the Police brackets at just over $38 each. The part #'s are 88900-MZ9-900 & 88800-MZ9-900. Here's a picture of them:

My design uses 1/8" flat plate with spacers welded to them which is in turn welded to 1/2" rod which is bent appropriately.

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
BTW, Service Honda shows the pricing for the Police brackets at just over $38 each. The part #'s are 88900-MZ9-900 & 88800-MZ9-900. Here's a picture of them:

My design uses 1/8" flat plate with spacers welded to them which is in turn welded to 1/2" rod which is bent appropriately.
Thanks a ton for posting the part numbers! :) If I do not get any brackets from a kind member on the forum (I'll ask in the wanted section) , I'll be getting a set of Police brackets! improved lights are a must, after having seen Pat's Red St1100.

Regards,
Vishnu

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...an under mirror mount would need to be a unique creation, but could be easily done.
But you might find a business opportunity in offering those... :wink:
IMHO would aux lights benefit from a lower position, less glare for the rider in rain or fog and that...

(the elevated position of the p/spec brackets is for visibility of them flashers/strobes)

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #

Nice professional looking job. And they say the higher the mount, the better.

I just finished installing a 1400 lumen (each ) pair from SuperBright Led's. They are waterproof heavy duty work spotlights ( cheap !).

I just have them hanging below my HID spots. I also installed a Sirius XM radio & MP3 player ( with a built in adjustable amp ). So along with the Rostra electronic cruise I installed a few weeks ago, I'm ready for some LD Riding this season.

Aux Lights_HID and LED.jpg

XM RAdio and MP3 Player.jpg

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
Nice professional looking job. And they say the higher the mount, the better.

I just finished installing a 1400 lumen (each ) pair from SuperBright Led's. They are waterproof heavy duty work spotlights ( cheap !).

I just have them hanging below my HID spots. I also installed a Sirius XM radio & MP3 player ( with a built in adjustable amp ). So along with the Rostra electronic cruise I installed a few weeks ago, I'm ready for some LD Riding this season.

Aux Lights_HID and LED.jpg

XM RAdio and MP3 Player.jpg

WOW! Just WOW! I dont know much about the road rules, but that's some serious lights! :) Awesome! What mounts did you use?

Regards,
Vishnu

Top Bottom