timing belt age limit

My 99 st1100 has 23k miles and the timing belt will soon be 12yrs old.
Is there a limit too when they are unsafe due to age?
steve

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I have only heard of a mileage limit on the belts, not a time limit.

My '01 had it's changed at over 110,000 and I had to be careful that I used the right one... it looked that good...

Mark

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm no expert but I don't even think there is a mileage limit on the belt. Does the manual say "replace" or "inspect/check" the belt at 100,000?

Raymond

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
The answer is an unqualified yes. There is a time limit on the timing belt.

Just seems that nobody has had an 1100 long enough to find that limit, yet....
Based on the mileage on my '91 when I bought it, I'm guessing mine has the original timing belt. Planing on changing this winter.

Ralph Sims

Ross Smith

Ross
Bike
1999 St1100
I think there are just too many variables to say what would be a safe time limit for the age of a belt. May also be why my Honda shop manual gives no combined distance / time limit, only distance. That maximum service interval is every 144k km.

It does recommend periodic belt inspections every 96k km. That is not hard to do and doesn't require any parts replacement. Look at the condition of your belt and check it for cracks and fraying on both sides using a very bright flashlight.

Also consider that the cost of having a belt fail is an order of magnitude above what it costs to have it replaced. An old belt really should be replaced. There are other things beside the belt in there that should be looked at too, irregardless of age and a belt made of rubber and kevlar do have a life, after all. I'd bite the bullet and replace that belt. It will allow you to fully inspect that part of the engine, (idler bearings and water pump). If you're questioning the condition of your belt, it will bring you piece of mind knowing it's replaced.

Ross

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
+1 Ross.
If you are uncomfortable in least you get peace of mind by changing it... no matter if it would have gone on for 100000 miles!

Bike
ST1100
STOC #
I'm with Ross and Mark
I will add that how the bike has been used will effect the life of the belt too. If it's been used heavy, clutch dropped quick, wheelied then the belt will have had more strains put on it.

Bike
R1200RT
The only belt failures I've ever read about were due to worn out pulleys or water pump failures. Not to say it's never happened, I just think a belt failing on it's own with less than 100k is very unlikely. Signs of cracks/dry rot through the inspection cover or miles (90k) are what I'm going by. I think Honda specifies miles only because the belt is completely protected from the elements. If it makes you feel better though, do it.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Changed the T B on my '91 at 100K, ( 6-7 yrs.) and it was in perfect cond., only the Honda part # was worn off. Keep it as a back up. The current TB is going on 120K, no problems.
I always heard the Wingers changed theirs at 60-70K as preventative maint. It's a tough belt, change as your inspection shows needed.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I'm no expert but I don't even think there is a mileage limit on the belt. Does the manual say "replace" or "inspect/check" the belt at 100,000?

Raymond
Actually, the manual does specifically state that an inspection is at 60,000 miles and a replacement at 90,000 miles is required. So it turns out you are both right and wrong! ;)

I changed mine today as I've only had the bike a few months and it's 15 yrs old so I don't know whats gone on before. I also changed the top pully and the tensioner pully as well for good measure. The bikes only done 49K so it's only a baby really, but at least now I know it should have 90K untill I change it again.

I have to say it was a pig of a job to do. But I put that down to learning curve...there's always a knack to taking off tons of fairing etc and I found the rad a bit trick too.

It's nearly back together now and I've fired it up with no bangs or flying metal...Total cost was ?145 for the parts , and my time and knuckle skin...

weigh that up against a belt going and it makes sense to me. As it happens the old belt and pullies looked fine..but hey...

the above are milage

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Congrats on getting the job done (I did 2 last summer) quickly!

Now I think you should probably...

Go Ride!

:D

Mark

As hard as it was, I think it's the only way to really get to know your bike. I'm off out for ride....

My 99 st1100 has 23k miles and the timing belt will soon be 12yrs old.
Is there a limit too when they are unsafe due to age?
steve
A friend has a 2000 model that he chnaged the timing belt on at 180,000kms. Was a bit stiffer than the new one, but visual inspection and stiffness does not tell you everything about about potential failure

OP
OP
Thanks for all the replys, I think I'll go with just inspection for now,as
my st has been well cared for. Sorry to say I put the bikes away last
wkend for the winter, its only four months till april.
steve

OP
OP
Thanks for all the replys, I think I'll go with just inspection for now,as
my st has been well cared for. Sorry to say I put the bikes away last
wkend for the winter, its only four months till april.
steve

Top Bottom