timing belt age limit

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
All the ST1100 timing belt failures I know of were caused by pulley bearing failures. The belts' edges then frayed creating a growing birds nest of belt fibers until...
One STrider caught an impending belt failure when he pulled the little Timing Hole Cover and saw the mess.

John

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
I changed the belt on my '99 after 13 years and 56k miles. It looked good, but I did it anyway. I accepted a pattern part from the well known UK supplier of Honda spares. It turned out to be a Gates belt packaged in a Triumph wrapper!

No-one mentioned any changes/improvements after a belt change - but my bike tickover was much smoother and more regular after - something I hadn't been able to fix by balancing the carbs. I had checked for perfect belt alignment, before taking the old one off. I hadn't realised that the tensioner is 'locked off' after belt installation. - Perhaps there was a bit of stretch?

I also trimmed the plastic inspection plate to enable easy assembly without removing the clutch cover.

Other things done at the same time were the valve checks (all good) and I fixed a small oil leak from a cam cover with some goo from a tube, plus a coolant change, etc etc. The only difficulty was refitting the top hose and getting away from a neighbour whose 3/8" socket I'd borrowed..... (More tea? :)

I can't understand anyone having 'difficulty' removing/fitting the fairing parts, but then I have had the bike a long time.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I can't understand anyone having 'difficulty' removing/fitting the fairing parts, but then I have had the bike a long time.
It's not so difficult physically. I think the 'difficulty' is psychological...it's time consuming and may have an 'I need to get started' intimidation factor.

Most daunting thing for a first timer is keeping track of the plethora of panel fasteners styles and sizes. I simply loosen them then tape them in place with blue painter's tape. Next would be to remember the order of removal/reinstallation of the panels.

Top Bottom